BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

E82 Speedtech Turbo Kit

I took the plunge and was one of the first (at the time of installation I was 2nd only to the test mule for E82 cars) to buy the N55 Speedtech Turbo upgrade. I’ll break this review down in to several sections that I think most buyers would find applicable and then pics at the end. This is more of a review than a DIY guide but I’m happy to help answer any questions more in depth as they come.

https://www.speedtech.com/bmw-n55/

I decided to go with the Speedtech kit for several reasons:
1. The EFR7670 is a work of art. Borg Warner has done a phenomenal job with this turbo series.
2. The cast manifold with the T4 flange set up fits like a glove (very happy with this part in particular)
3. Jeff – The owner is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I was able to reach him at almost any time and he was very responsive. I felt comfortable purchasing from him

Quality of Parts:

I can’t say enough good about the EFR turbo or the exhaust manifold. The kit came with high quality hosing and the properly matched AN fittings.
My only “gripe” about the kit, if I was forced to pick on something, would be some of the welds on the downpipe. The end flanges are welded very well. Some of the welds on the Y split and the butt welds connecting the hard pipe to the flex pipe were not as tight as I would have liked to see. I did submerge the pipe in water and could not find any air leaks; so while the welds were not the “absolute prettiest” they were completely functional. After 2500 miles I crawled under to inspect and can say that they are holding up perfectly. No leaks in any manner even with heat

Installation:

Being a full kit, there were some parts that needed massaged into place. It wasn’t bad at all; anyone that is willing to tackle a turbo swap will have no problem getting things to fit. I did the job in a rental garage at my apartment complex with hand tools. It took a little longer doing things that way but I was over meticulous and didn’t mind taking the extra time. I went through every gasket and seal and replaced per OEM specifications – so happy to say that my car has absolutely ZERO leaks. Along with that I replaced every bushing in my shift linkage and it feels amazing again (ECS Tuning shift upgrade kit)

The kit comes with instructions that are well put together and when I did have clarification questions, I received answers within a 24 hour period that included various pictures of the shop car and their set up to see how things fit.

I have had a few people in FB groups get into “proper installation” arguments over my oil drain line. The oil drain for the turbo is a 90 deg fitting going into a 5/8” Dia rubber line. Yes a 45 would be “better”. Putting a 45 on would force the drain line to dip below the oil pan return inlet and cause a large issue. The test mule vehicle has 100k miles with this set up with no issues.

Installation Notes:
• The supplied hose clamps are 19mm-44mm in sizing - some of the silicone sleeve are tight and while I made it work by trading stock hose clamps around and sourcing ones that fit the application when I needed it, larger diameter hose clamps would have saved a bit of time from the get go (37mm-54mm seemed to be about perfect).
• I ended up using t-bolt clamps instead for the intercooler connection and it worked very well
• The wastegate adapter part needed to be grinded down to properly operate when installed (I used a Dremel with a stone bit and it only took a few minutes)
• When installing boost tube (intercooler to turbo connection) I found that my motor was not positioned correctly due to dropping the subframe and things shifting. I would recommend re-installing the motor mount and subframe first to ensure that silicone sleeve fits correctly. My initial fitment of that tube had the silicone sleeve pressed up against the exhaust manifold and the opposite side touching the metal frame of the engine bay. Once the motor was mounted I was able to fully seat the tube and get it off of the exhaust manifold.
• Moving the Boost Solenoid should happen when turbo is out of the car - it was difficult to reach once having the motor in place and the boost tube running on top of it.
• There were no gaskets or hardware supplied with the kit for the downpipe to midpipe connection. I sourced an AR Design bombproof hardware kit from ECS tuning for $26.99

End Results:

TBD: I am still working with my tuner remotely. I do plan on getting to a dyno (even tho Speedtech has charts available on their website) but currently still hoovering around 17psi-19psi on 93 while figuring out proper boost control with the larger wastegate.

Turbo Kit Supporting Mods:
• MHD Custom Flash Tune from Motiv
• MDesign Performance CF Intake
• ER FMIC
• ER Chargepipe
• Fuel-It Stage2 LPFP
• Motiv Twin Disk ST Clutch and SMFW
• Berk Technology Mid pipes
• Custom modded Axle back

Future Mods:
• Port Injection

Other Mods/Changes for anyone’s general reference:
• Bilstein Coilovers
• Eibach front sway bar
• Eurotek UO03 Wheels (18x8.5et35/18x9.5et42)
• Tires: Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 (225/40-18 and 255/35-18)
• Whiteline Powerflex rear bushing inserts
• 3M black roof wrap
• 35%-20% Window tint (I know not a mod, just listing out)
• Rear Seat Removal
• Schroth Racing 4-point harness
• ZHP Shift Knob

TL;DR
I bought new turbo kit. It makes car faster. Good kit.

Pictures (some of parts, some of car)

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BW EFR Turbo.pdf (8.36 MB, 768 views)

Last edited by c_ozanich; 06-29-2018 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Added Turbo PDF file & Re-formatted Images & kit hyperlink
Appreciate 6
      06-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Hey nice review! Also nice license plate, wheels, and wrap job on the cp. Heard about this turbo kit before it was available for our cars. Did you have to relocate the water pump? Also those welds on the DP probably aren't a concern, although it might crack in a couple years. Lots of undercut.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Hey nice review! Also nice license plate, wheels, and wrap job on the cp. Heard about this turbo kit before it was available for our cars. Did you have to relocate the water pump? Also those welds on the DP probably aren't a concern, although it might crack in a couple years. Lots of undercut.
Thanks for the compliments; the CP wrap was a "hey I have some extra heat tape here...where can I put it effectively." thought. Not a huge fan of how the step transition came out but intake temps didn't completely heat soak last track day so I'm calling it a win ha.

Waterpump "relocation" was a small extended bracket for the front of the block and had to move the pump 1 bolt hole towards the front of the car. So you lose one of the two hidden bolts on the top of the pump but between the other two bolts and the stiff hoses holding it I couldn't rock it or tilt it much after install. Confident in it being secure.

And as far as downpipe; I previously had an AR Design 4" catless. I was really impressed with the quality of that one however going back to a 3" pipe increases velocity and a bit of sound so I'm happy with it. The kit still uses a 3" V-band clamp for turbo to downpipe connection so if I ever do run into issues I have options other than Speedtech (if I wanted/needed to go that way) I would more than likely just contact the manufacturer and ask to purchase separately though. It has a good fit and the flex pipe is rigid

Last edited by c_ozanich; 06-27-2018 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Man, I really, really regret my lack of patience waiting for a white on red 135i. Such a beautiful color combo.
Do you mind providing the price range? It sounds like tuners are discovering that the N55 can handle alot of power too. Starting to look like a 1JZ type situation, everyone was paying so much more for the 2J back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Last edited by mfindigital; 06-27-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Man, I really, really regret my lack of patience waiting for a white on red 135i. Such a beautiful color combo.
I found it 12 hours away from home haha. It was a hike but well worth it.

Thanks though! Wheels are more than likely changing soon
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
I found it 12 hours away from home haha. It was a hike but well worth it.

Thanks though! Wheels are more than likely changing soon
We you hand them right over here when you're done thanks.
I'm really excited to hear more on this turbo setup as it's the direction I'm headed also so it's great to finally get some feedback on our cars!
Are you planning to build any of the motor at some point?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

I would love to see these other people's bottom mount kit with "proper" AN fittings and stainless line... You need to use rubber here to allow for some flex across such a short run. If you used AN fittings it would basically be a rigid connection. AN fittings are pretty large/bulky.

Just about all turbo kits on all platforms use a rubber line on the drain. It just makes the most sense for something that sees 0 load and needs to flex. Don't sweat thsoe comments and think you need to spend $200 on a metal drain line lol. You get the benefit of a greater ID with the rubber line, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
We you hand them right over here when you're done thanks.
I'm really excited to hear more on this turbo setup as it's the direction I'm headed also so it's great to finally get some feedback on our cars!
Are you planning to build any of the motor at some point?
It'll depend on how things go. Ordering a port injection kit late july/august time frame and once I get it tuned we'll see. I talked to a few different engine builders and I'm at a turning point in the build - either tune conservatively with a slower ramp into boost/torque curves or dump a lot more money into it and fully build a closed deck block.

For track days the 600 range is already way too powerful for our chassis. It's better to tune for a greater area under the curve from 2.8k - 5.8k and maintain smooth, predictable boost control throughout there. Also somewhat focused on "what's next" in vehicle platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I would love to see these other people's bottom mount kit with "proper" AN fittings and stainless line... You need to use rubber here to allow for some flex across such a short run. If you used AN fittings it would basically be a rigid connection. AN fittings are pretty large/bulky.

Just about all turbo kits on all platforms use a rubber line on the drain. It just makes the most sense for something that sees 0 load and needs to flex. Don't sweat thsoe comments and think you need to spend $200 on a metal drain line lol. You get the benefit of a greater ID with the rubber line, too.
Agreed. Wasn't anything that bothered me, just did not want this thread to get cluttered with useless argument.

Having the kit approx. 70% dialed in tuning wise and 2500 miles plus two HPDE days on the car I figured I had enough time with it to give a proper review. As N55 kits are becoming more common due to the F chassis utilizing them there's a lot of speculation them; I took a chance on a newer kit/company and was really happy I did. It's worked out well so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:27 AM   #9
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Please keep the updates coming. Good stuff.
      08-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post

Yes please!
Anything new op?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yes please!
Anything new op?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Yes please!
Anything new op?
Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately my daily had troubles and then my HPFP gave out after a month of daily driving. Makes sense on fueling issues at higher RPM though. Got parts in yesterday and took intake manifold off. Looking to finish installation tonight so provided Hurricane Florence lets some sun through I'll get more conclusive data by the weekend.

Oh FYI - never buy a land rover. What a nightmare
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
What does your afr looks like with your fueling mods and how is the hpfp holding up?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

I mean he did just say it gave out on him after a month....
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyDC4 View Post
What does your afr looks like with your fueling mods and how is the hpfp holding up?
Quote:
+1 to YearOneOne haha.

AFR was pretty solid, little lean at idle around 15 but down to mid-10s at WOT. Rail pressure was down to 1100psi though so that will drastically affect AFR when fuel system is seeing 50% of capacity in terms of pressure. I expect idle to be closer to the 13.5-14 range and need tapered back up to a correct stoichiometric level via tuning once new HPFP is in.

Will update accordingly
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #16
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyDC4 View Post
Quote:
+1 to YearOneOne haha.

AFR was pretty solid, little lean at idle around 15 but down to mid-10s at WOT. Rail pressure was down to 1100psi though so that will drastically affect AFR when fuel system is seeing 50% of capacity in terms of pressure. I expect idle to be closer to the 13.5-14 range and need tapered back up to a correct stoichiometric level via tuning once new HPFP is in.

Will update accordingly
Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
EvanAlfred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i n55 DCT

Any update OP?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #18
135itp
Rep
Drives: 09 135i/16 535

^^ what he said
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanAlfred View Post
Any update OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135itp View Post
^^ what he said

Sorry I haven't been on here much. Car is running solid. 19-20 psi. Since changing HPFP and injectors fueling is very steady. Currently fueling (fuel-it stage 2 single lpfp) and engine internals are only thing limiting more power in my mind.

Car is currently for sale though - never thought I'd part ways with it but that's how life goes. On to something else.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Did you ever get your car dyno'd?
      07-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #21
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
Did you ever get your car dyno'd?
unfortunately I did not. MHD app puts me around 500hp mark running 93 octane; it's been super reliable since figuring out that fueling hiccup and Chris from Motiv Motorsports has been tuning very conservatively at my instruction.

I would imagine picking up another 50-65whp is possible with the MILV mod in the head and switching to E85 fuel sourcing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #22
b3turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 FBO 135i

Did you dyno your setup ? and any issues so for with it ?
Appreciate 0