BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
128i non-sport suspension - any additional hardware?

I just purchased a used 2010 128i non-sport. I'd like to have the Koni SRT shocks/springs kit.

Will I need any additional hardware?.. ie. adj sway bar links, camber plates, bushings, etc? The vehicle will be 100% street driven. No track duty. It was purchased to be a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
I just purchased a used 2010 128i non-sport. I'd like to have the Koni SRT shocks/springs kit.

Will I need any additional hardware?.. ie. adj sway bar links, camber plates, bushings, etc? The vehicle will be 100% street driven. No track duty. It was purchased to be a daily driver.
Answer is "it depends". I can only presume you want better handling out of the car even though it's a daily driver, so things like camber plates and upgraded sway bars can be part of the equation and improve certain aspects of how the car feels. The shocks and springs alone will make a huge difference, sway bars probably next in terms of difference in feel, followed by camber plates and bushings etc.

When swapping out suspension components and depending on how high the mileage is on your car, there are several "wearable" items you should replace like spring pads etc. Take a look at the ECS tuning "cup kit installation kit"

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-12...its/ES2622813/

I would go for the OEM M-sport factory sway bars if you can find a cheap used set, match that up with your Koni kit and call it a day for the daily driver. Potentially consider a rear subframe bushing insert kit like whiteline, and you'd have a nice daily driver car with decent handling.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, there will ALWAYS be more "want" items. But as far as "need" items, it sounds like I throw on the shocks/springs and be done. No need to get adjustable sway bar end links or other bushings for it to bolt on. This will hopefully make a good daily driver into a great one. I may choose to replace the shock mounts and other wear items with upgraded items during the swap... but they are not a "need" so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, there will ALWAYS be more "want" items. But as far as "need" items, it sounds like I throw on the shocks/springs and be done. No need to get adjustable sway bar end links or other bushings for it to bolt on. This will hopefully make a good daily driver into a great one. I may choose to replace the shock mounts and other wear items with upgraded items during the swap... but they are not a "need" so to speak.
Yep. You don't have to do all the shock mounts per se if the mileage is not too high, but make sure to do the spring pads (upper + lower front and back). They are only a few dollars each and you'll see the old ones will be worn through.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

Does the non-sport 128i come with sway bars stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

front only; no rear sway
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

Thanks for the answer about the sway bars.
Appreciate 0