BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
Cogitoergosum
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Exhaust recommendations

I love the sound of my 1M but, if I had one complaint, it is too quiet. I'm looking for an OEM+ soundtrack - still want to keep the howl there that comes above 3500 but want it to be a little bit (not much) louder and maybe have a few more pops and bangs. I've thought about maybe an Akra backbox only as an option. Would be interested to hear other folks' thoughts on that and if anyone has any other recommendations. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My wife came to an autocross once and later told me my car was the quietest one there. I HAD to fix that!!

I started with the Mad Dad mid pipe, which turned up the volume and added a little more of an aggressive tone. I would say on the scale of 0=stock Camry to 10=NASCAR, the stock 1M is a 3 and the MadDad made it a 4.5. The N55 midpipe would probably be close.

I have now added a Ligjtweight Ti rear section, which took it to a 6....perfect for me.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

MadDad + Akrapovic is my set up. The midpipe makes the most difference IMO.

Stock is too quiet.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      12-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I've experimented with an assortment of axleback and midpipe combinations.

Here is my experience:

-stock = quietish
-N55 midpipe = quietish with less highway RPM drone
-stock + Remus axleback = quietish with deeper tone
-N55 mid + Remus = somewhat better than all of the above. Still wanted more.
-Maddad midpipe + Remus = just right. Any louder and neighbors will start to stinkeye.

The Maddad/Remus is enough to bring a smile and border on obnoxious in a parking garage - will set off sensitive car alarms if throttle blip is timed correctly and in the right location.
I agree with SEIS above that the midpipe has made the most noticeable difference.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Cogitoergosum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post

Here is my experience:

-stock = quietish
-Maddad midpipe + Remus = just right. Any louder and neighbors will start to stinkeye.

The Maddad/Remus is enough to bring a smile and border on obnoxious in a parking garage - will set off sensitive car alarms if throttle blip is timed correctly and in the right location.
I agree with SEIS above that the midpipe has made the most noticeable difference.
Thanks - was there a difference in volume or tone with just the N55 mid pipe and the stock axle back?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

Here is my experience:

-stock = quietish

Interesting, the Remus must be much louder than the lightweight ti, because with my set up I never feel like it is obnoxious, even in a parking garage or when I start the car at home in my garage.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogitoergosum View Post
Thanks - was there a difference in volume or tone with just the N55 mid pipe and the stock axle back?
It was a while back but my recollection was that startup theatrics were a bit greater, tone was subjectively deeper, and a bit more pop and burble. Volume was probably only slightly louder. I ran the N55 for a while but it was not enough to satisfy the itch.

You've probably already seen these additional 1M N55 midpipe links:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684896
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677414
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859077
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Interesting, the Remus must be much louder than the lightweight ti, because with my set up I never feel like it is obnoxious, even in a parking garage or when I start the car at home in my garage.
Yeah, the term "obnoxious" is highly subjective -- I am pretty conservative when it comes to assessing exhaust volume / tone etc so I think that's all that is.

Based on what I've seen I'd love to get my hands on the Lightweight Ti exhaust eventually but price of admission is a deterrent for me -- I was able to get my hands on the Remus for pretty cheap and for the cost I'm satisfied.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      12-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

Based on what I've seen I'd love to get my hands on the Lightweight Ti exhaust eventually but price of admission is a deterrent for me -- I was able to get my hands on the Remus for pretty cheap and for the cost I'm satisfied.
I snatched mine used from a forum member.

I am very happy with the sound....was surprised that it only saved a few pounds from OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Exhaust recommendations

I agree w the above, maybe start w the mid section first, Maddad or Akra coupled w/ the factory can. I run Akra DPs, oem mids, Akra slip on. Have tried Dinan and different mids. Next level would be custom titanium mids w/ high flow race cats and some kind of tuned resonators.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I love Titanium, it's exotic and light but titanium has a different sound that doesn't sound as good to me. The Akra doesn't sound good thought the weight savings sounds appealing. Just mentioning that. Sound is very subjective, I see people revving their MCLARENS and people in awe but to me it sounds like blender, grinding BBs with a bad case of gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Cogitoergosum
Private
Rep

Appreciate the replies folks. This forum isn't dead after all. I think I'm leaning towards N55 mids as a first step and take it from there. As much as I like the idea of a chunk of titanium under my seat it's a big commitment!
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      12-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the replies folks. This forum isn't dead after all. I think I'm leaning towards N55 mids as a first step and take it from there. As much as I like the idea of a chunk of titanium under my seat it's a big commitment!
Solid strategy. One thing at at time so you know what the difference is from each one.👍🏼
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Solid strategy. One thing at at time so you know what the difference is from each one.👍🏼
Look forward to seeing what it sounds like since we're close!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #15
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Next thing after stock N55 mids, would be to delete the resonator and install the y-pipe from the Performance Exhaust kit (non-M performance exhaust).

ayao Provided this link: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859077

Where Dack shows the inside of the stock 1M midpipe resonator and how it's already straight through.

Some people also mention issues with drone on stock 1M and they think it's because this pipe is solid, not resonated... might be good to just read through that thread.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      12-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
Cogitoergosum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:
Next thing after stock N55 mids, would be to delete the resonator and install the y-pipe from the Performance Exhaust kit (non-M performance exhaust).

ayao Provided this link: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859077

Where Dack shows the inside of the stock 1M midpipe resonator and how it's already straight through.

Some people also mention issues with drone on stock 1M and they think it's because this pipe is solid, not resonated... might be good to just read through that thread.
That's wild that there's a fake resonator on the stock 1M pipes! Total workaround by the BMW engineers. Hilarious. Will look into the performance exhaust - hadn't heard of that.

Has anyone had luck with a BMW dealer getting the mid pipes swapped over? The car is due a service soon and might get it done at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
That's wild that there's a fake resonator on the stock 1M pipes! Total workaround by the BMW engineers. Hilarious. Will look into the performance exhaust - hadn't heard of that.

Has anyone had luck with a BMW dealer getting the mid pipes swapped over? The car is due a service soon and might get it done at the same time.
Because the 1M midpipes contain secondary cats, I would be very surprised if a dealer would be willing to do the swap for you. It would end up depending on how tight state regs are on emissions and your relationship with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Because the 1M midpipes contain secondary cats, I would be very surprised if a dealer would be willing to do the swap for you. It would end up depending on how tight state regs are on emissions and your relationship with the dealer.
Especially in California. I would be surprised too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
It's a very easy DIY if you have a helper. Order a new set of gaskets for the downpipe connection since they tend to rot at this age.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
It's a very easy DIY if you have a helper. Order a new set of gaskets for the downpipe connection since they tend to rot at this age.
Some liquid wrench foe rusted studs and some new bolts and nuts too
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:57 AM   #21
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
My bmw dealer ordered and installed the n55 along with the Lightweight Titanium exhaust. Only thing: they issued 2 separate invoices

Can only recommend the setup! Loud but not too extreme.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #22
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Harold at HP Autowerks had some MadDad mids this past Summer, might want to check with him. I had to buy mine form a forum meber used and it took me awhile to find one, since they stopped making them for several years.

I think a dealer would possibly swap a mid-pipe. I had my car tested and there were no issues, my understanding is on cold starts it has higher emissions, but once warm, it is the same as stock. Someone can tell me otherwise.
Appreciate 0