E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Car Smell...TOXIC???

01-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #23
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed328ci
That is patently wrong. Though melanoma can be fatal, solar radiation has not been the leading cause of death in humans. It isn't even the leading cause for the leading forms of terminal cancer. However, that doesn't mean that we should take steps to avoid UV exposure, such as using sun screen, and avoiding prolong exposure of naked skin to the sun.

In the same vain, why would you purposely expose yourself to cancerogenic material?

Ed
I believe LedZep is trying to make a point in general and not specificly about skin cancer. Breathing the air will also kill you (and I'm not talking because of all of the man-made air pollution, but natural occuring compounds). Water will also kill you (in high doses).

I think the point is that alot of things are "toxic" but the degree of toxicity is what is up for question. Data can be made to show just about anything. For example they pulled Saccharin initally because it was shown to cause cancer in mice. However when someone actually looked at the data, the amount of material they fed the mice would be the equilvant of a bathtub size amount for a human.... So I have always been critical (both ways) when someone provides "data" that somethings is toxic or perfectly benine.

So do chemicals that can be potentially harmful make up that "new car smell", sure. Would we actually be exposed to enough of these chemicals while driving a new car for a few hours a day at most, for a month or so every 4-5 years.. Probally not... Remember that toxicity measurements are done by OSHA and are designed around being exposed to that level of chemical for 8 hours a day for years at a time.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #24
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
heh all BMWs have the same smell to them, regardless if it's an old 318i or a new 330, it's great.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 03:08 PM   #25
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Just finished reading "State of Fear" by Micheal Crichton ("The Andromeda Strain", "The Great Train Robbery", etc) and even though I'm in the center politically, I'll never look at an environmental press release in the same way again. Good read.

Yes, it's a novel, but he uses real-world sources.

Slightly OT for the board in general, but relevant to the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Is that why your face is so white (see image below)?

LMAO....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #27
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

thats reminds me, i was talking to my chemistry 2 professor (im a pre-med student) and he telling me how this high school in Washington D.C. had a mercury leakage and the school was evacuated. Well a few days later parent after parent were calling in about how their child must have mercury poisoning. He was saying that thats bullsh*t bc the amount of mercury that is needed for someone to become sick first of all has to be swallowed but further more has to be an extremely large amount. The same will most likely go with the new car scent, if u just use it like a normal person would, then u should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 07:05 PM   #28
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed328ci
That is patently wrong. Though melanoma can be fatal, solar radiation has not been the leading cause of death in humans. It isn't even the leading cause for the leading forms of terminal cancer. However, that doesn't mean that we should take steps to avoid UV exposure, such as using sun screen, and avoiding prolong exposure of naked skin to the sun.

In the same vain, why would you purposely expose yourself to cancerogenic material? I am not saying to avoid cars, not to buy a new car. Just let the car air out.

Ed
Melanoma is a highly focused reaction to intense episodes of solar radiation. It's like the difference between your furnace keeping your house warm and the burn you get when you put your hand on the burner housing.

Anyway, people just crack me up. Like the heath nuts jogging down the side of the road being passed by hundreds of cars trucks and busses. They'd be better of just sitting down an smoking a pack of cigarettes.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #29
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Melanoma is a highly focused reaction to intense episodes of solar radiation. It's like the difference between your furnace keeping your house warm and the burn you get when you put your hand on the burner housing...
Melanoma is the result of skin cell damage due to exposure to UV. This damage can occur over time, or in intense episodes. Multiple low dosages of exposure can, in fact, result in cellular damage that will result in melanoma some years later.

In my limited understanding, according the "multi-hit" theory, even if the UV exposure is in itself, either not intense enough, or have enough cumulative low dosage effect to cause cancer, that same UV exposure, when combined with another cause, let's say, genetic disposition, or even say, toxic gases, will increase the likelihood of cancer.

And yes, I agree with your last point about people running near busy freeways.

Last edited by ed328ci; 01-31-2006 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #30
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
... He was saying that thats bullsh*t bc the amount of mercury that is needed for someone to become sick first of all has to be swallowed but further more has to be an extremely large amount. The same will most likely go with the new car scent, if u just use it like a normal person would, then u should be fine.
Agree with your last point, but mercury can be absorbed through the skin, and cumulative low dosage of mercury can cause health problems. Of course, being in pre-med, you know that.

What is pertinent to both your point and LEDZEP's, is that repeated low dosage exposure to carcinogens will increase your chance of getting cancer. Taking a few whiffs of new car smell probably won't do the job by itself.

Ed

Last edited by ed328ci; 01-31-2006 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0