BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #67
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Hm thanks - so what I did do before installing the manifold is I removed the valves, cleaned them up and inspected the seals, and hooked them up to the cables on the engine. Started the car (noted the position, the both reset to "home") and then revved the engine through the two transition RPMs and each one opened and closed at the right time. Figured that was enough.

From the looks of the ISTA test, it's doing the same thing? Of course the vales could have failed since....but I've felt the torque dips since the start and it's not hesitation per se like you describe. Bah, may just leave as is unless it really bothers me...car drives pretty smooth otherwise.
Yes your testing method works just aswell. To be honest im not 100% of how it should have felt either. im trying to remember the process, but i would assume you have an appropriate tune if they valves worked in your testing, did you reset your adaptations? If i drive in sport mode the car drives perfectly fine and feels like it pulls well but maybe i was never getting the full power experience i should have

What tune do you have? I went with the bimmerlabs 130i

My new valve should be in today and ill try to do it tomorrow or Saturday when its warm enough to be outside and ill let you know how it runs
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops

Last edited by 519.E82; 04-23-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      04-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #68
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Yes your testing method works just aswell. To be honest im not 100% of how it should have felt either. im trying to remember the process, but i would assume you have an appropriate tune if they valves worked in your testing, did you reset your adaptations? If i drive in sport mode the car drives perfectly fine and feels like it pulls well but maybe i was never getting the full power experience i should have

My new valve should be in today and ill try to do it tomorrow or Saturday when its warm enough to be outside and ill let you know how it runs
Ok thanks for confirming - yea they seemed to work fine with my test. I have a stageFp tune (I had a stage 1 BPC tune before Bob left BPC, had to buy a new tune just for the 3 stage IM ). The test actually works even without a tune (I tested the valves before I applied the tune). I did the adaptation reset procedure (not the one with a tool, the manual process)...

I think honestly the only way to tell is going to be a dyno (assuming I don't have any hidden codes, maybe I should buy a cable and run ISTA etc).

You have an auto? Is that what you mean by sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #69
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:

Ok thanks for confirming - yea they seemed to work fine with my test. I have a stageFp tune (I had a stage 1 BPC tune before Bob left BPC, had to buy a new tune just for the 3 stage IM ). The test actually works even without a tune (I tested the valves before I applied the tune). I did the adaptation reset procedure (not the one with a tool, the manual process)...

I think honestly the only way to tell is going to be a dyno (assuming I don't have any hidden codes, maybe I should buy a cable and run ISTA etc).

You have an auto? Is that what you mean by sport mode?
Thats interesting that they work without a tune? Whats the point of doing the tune if they valves already work without it and are pre programmed to operate as they should? I have INPA and ISTA, i used INPA when resetting my adaptations. Id probably recommend getting a cable before dyno to check for codes since a cable is only like $25 and ista is free just can take a little bit to install. And yes I unfortunately have an auto. Been looking into swapping them but most people just say buy a new car instead which doesn't help much. Anyways, i have the step tronic version which has Drive, where its full auto, and D/S where you do the shifting (minus it will auto down shift, and upshift you went to say redline or forgot to down shift when coming to a stop). In D/S it runs good, in regular drive is where i notice hesitation a lot more often
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #70
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Thats interesting that they work without a tune? Whats the point of doing the tune if they valves already work without it and are pre programmed to operate as they should? I have INPA and ISTA, i used INPA when resetting my adaptations. Id probably recommend getting a cable before dyno to check for codes since a cable is only like $25 and ista is free just can take a little bit to install. And yes I unfortunately have an auto. Been looking into swapping them but most people just say buy a new car instead which doesn't help much. Anyways, i have the step tronic version which has Drive, where its full auto, and D/S where you do the shifting (minus it will auto down shift, and upshift you went to say redline or forgot to down shift when coming to a stop). In D/S it runs good, in regular drive is where i notice hesitation a lot more often
Yea - the valves open/close even in stock tune form, but all air/fuel optimizations etc are not there to take advantage of the pressure waves caused by the variable intake runner length. I actually drove the car for a couple of weeks with the stock tune and it ran *ok*, but with weird power dips and hesitation. No real power gains and not as smooth as it should be, definitely felt "off". Once the tune was installed it was a big difference so a tune is certainly required.

From what you're describing, it's hesitation in the transmission more than anything I'd guess. There are tunes I think for the transmission, but you're better off just driving it in D/S all the time...
Appreciate 0