BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #23
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I think it will look ok.

Here's some photos I found
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #24
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
Im getting my AW in July and I'm powdercoating my rims to either gunmetal or black.... White may just be too much white on the vehicle... but some of those pictures do look really nice
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Looks great on the BMW wagon, cheap on the Subaru. In any case it only works if they're clean and, unfortunately, you probably couldn't have picked a worse car to deal with in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #26
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I think that it would look fine.
And as far as the brake dust issue..........common folks, the stock wheels show the brake dust after 20 minutes of driving...how much worse could it possibly be ???
I say go for it.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #27
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

IMO it takes away some class from a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
blklacker
Captain
Rep

I dont recommend it, I think it will take away from the vehicle.... but if your trying to be unique and it pleases and your happy go for it.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1013 View Post
IMO it takes away some class from a BMW...
There was a stock white 320is I believe that came with white centered basketweave BBS wheels. Outside rim of the wheel was painted silver. Looked great.
      06-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #30
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
There was a stock white 320is I believe that came with white centered basketweave BBS wheels. Outside rim of the wheel was painted silver. Looked great.

was the rim Lip Painted silver?? or chrome. I agree having a white basketweave BBS wheel with a chrome Lip would look pretty snazzy If you cleaned them every day. If the lip was painted silver im not too sure about that, I would have to see a picture of it. But a chrome lip looks great but, again we are talking about poweder coating OEM rims that do not have a lip to chrome or paint.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #31
redframe85
Canada
Rep
Drives: '99 E46 '08 E93 '11 E70 13 F25

haha maybe u wanna get ur tire white as well?!!??
no good at all
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #32
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Not a good look. Go with gunmetal color instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #33
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

i think there would be too much lack-of-contrast...and the brake dust would kill it. i'm already frustrated w/ cleaning my rims after every other drive!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #34
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

White on white is the hottness!

I love gunmetal and black wheels but it is starting to be too common. Although I will probably be PC'ing m wheels on my 135 black as soon as I get it.

BTW- $280 for powdercoating is pretty expensive. Maybe it depends on where you are but $50 a wheel is about the running cost unless you are doing a custom color or some type of chrome.
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #35
White Lightning
Internet Jester
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I have AW, but I am either going gunmetal or black. I'll post up pics if I get it done before anyone else.

Steven

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #36
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
White on white is the hottness!

I love gunmetal and black wheels but it is starting to be too common. Although I will probably be PC'ing m wheels on my 135 black as soon as I get it.

BTW- $280 for powdercoating is pretty expensive. Maybe it depends on where you are but $50 a wheel is about the running cost unless you are doing a custom color or some type of chrome.

I have to disagree $280 to powered coat 4 rims is a fair price. I payed a little less than that@ 250 and they did a great job. The reason why the price is fair is because it also includes Sand blasting. Sand blasting is one of the most important preps when it comes to power order coating its time consuming so @ $280 its a pretty good deal.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #37
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
I have to disagree $280 to powered coat 4 rims is a fair price. I payed a little less than that@ 250 and they did a great job. The reason why the price is fair is because it also includes Sand blasting. Sand blasting is one of the most important preps when it comes to power order coating its time consuming so @ $280 its a pretty good deal.
I guess it all depends on where you are from then:iono:

I paid $200 for sandblasting, chemical clean, powdercoat, and clear coat on all four wheels plus they powdercoated all 20 of my lug nuts and sandblasted those too. I did not have any type of hookup at this place either. I have had three sets of rims in the last three years done too.

BTW- If a shop quotes you a price without including sandblasting then I would not use that shop. Unless you bring them raw metal wheels it is assumed you will need sandblasting:iono:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #38
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
I guess it all depends on where you are from then:iono:

I paid $200 for sandblasting, chemical clean, powdercoat, and clear coat on all four wheels plus they powdercoated all 20 of my lug nuts and sandblasted those too. I did not have any type of hookup at this place either. I have had three sets of rims in the last three years done too.

BTW- If a shop quotes you a price without including sandblasting then I would not use that shop. Unless you bring them raw metal wheels it is assumed you will need sandblasting:iono:
Your rims you had powder-coated BMW rims???? BMW rims traditionally take longer to sandblast, they are not easy to strip, unlike cheaper OEM rims. Even the guy sand blasting admitted it was alot tougher than he expected to do it correctly. They explained to be very clearly if they were example a "honda,mit,toyota" $200 no problem. Since it was a BMW rim they explained the extra work that was required. But who knows maybe they just wanted an extra 50 bucks because I was wearing a suit&tie

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #39
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
Your rims you had powder-coated BMW rims???? BMW rims traditionally take longer to sandblast, they are not easy to strip, unlike cheaper OEM rims. Even the guy sand blasting admitted it was alot tougher than he expected to do it correctly. They explained to be very clearly if they were example a "honda,mit,toyota" $200 no problem. Since it was a BMW rim they explained the extra work that was required. But who knows maybe they just wanted an extra 50 bucks because I was wearing a suit&tie
I have had OEM Honda, OEM Subaru, and about four or five other aftermarket wheels done in the past. I have never heard such a thing. Plus if you were to go and get a quote for just sandblasting it would be about $10-20 per wheel depending on the place. For them to charge an extra $50 because they are "hard to blast BMW rims" sounds like :bs:

Who makes BMW rims? I think that there are multiple companies that produce OEM rims for BMW. BBS is one of them and I do not believe that BBS would make OEM rims better then say their branded high end wheels like the LM's. Which by the way is one set of wheels I had powdercoated.

Anyways, I am not trying to call you out or anything but it just sounds like they might have taken advantage of you:iono:

That is what these boards are for. To make sure we all get what we are paying for and don't get had:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

I also just noticed that your sig says "two toned gunmetal". Another reason yours could have been more is because of the type of powder you choose.

There are a bunch of different powders that can all range in price. Most of the time if you go to a shop they will show you their "stock" colors that are all the same price. These would be the colors that they buy in bulk and can sell cheaper.

I wanted to do a custom bronze powder on my LM's and the shop told me that they would have to order the powder custom and it would cost $400 just to get the company to produce the powder for me. That was an initial cost to create a custom powder to match what I wanted. The $400 would only be charged once for that particular color to be created.

Wierd stuff...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #41
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

This looks awesome!

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #42
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

IMHO, I would not powder coat OEM wheels. The powder coat process requires that the wheels be heated, therefore compromising the integrity. I have seen many OEM wheels crack and in extreme cases even rip clear off.

Granted that the place you take it to is more professional then just some jacka** with an oven, they should me able to do low temp powdercoating np.

Still I personally would not do this to my own wheels, too much risk and spotty reliability of the work performed.

Heres a picture btw of what CAN happen:

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #43
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

wow that's sick i've never seen a wheel break clean off like that!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #44
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

I agree that there can be risk involved with powdercoating but the risk is very very low. For every 1 picture of wheels like the ones above that have cracked or worse after being powdercoated I can show you probably at least 100 sets that are just fine.

All I can say is research the shop you want to use and try to use shops that specialize in powdercoating. Don't go t some mechanics shop that also does PC'ing unless you know they do good work.
Appreciate 0