02-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #45
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I'm getting a little car horny again.
This really made me laugh. It does the same to me.
I almost gave up my allocation for my 1M to buy a Cayman S and the next day my dealer called and said "OK, lets start spec'ing your car" so I took it as a sign to stick with the M.

Now when I am starting to get the new car bug again a new Cayman comes out. What do you think...take it as a sign

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #46
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

gt3 front track, widen stance, gt3 wheels..brakes...and gazillion stuff on mid engine, sublime traction...I don't really care if I even get near the track..I just want to drive it, spiritedly of course
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #47
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Times like this I wish for a twin brother that I can share cars with. An extremely wealthy and loving father will do the job too. One can only wish.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #48
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee
Maybe i'm being down hearted as the rumours suggested a turbo'd gts engine was on the cards at one point-which would have been awesome.

It doesnt look as good as the pre release spy shots either.
Plus i'm hearing from the dealership that it will be a ltd run, however others have been told that Porsche will build the car to order meaning there may well be a chance of better options added to the spec list at a later date.

Hence why i'm thinking of pulling out and waiting to see if they do a gt4 rs further down the line.

I'll only buy a new car if i'm certain that the value isnt going to drop as soon as i've driven it.
Which means it being ltd and fun is are key factors for me.
I love a good turbo engine- bit have you driven a late model 3.8? This side of the S65, it's my favorite power plant (particularly in a Boxster/Cayman S).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #49
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am very sure that this car will handle like pure badass.
do crazy numbers on tracks.
but again and again.. still and still
ITS NOT A 1M.
      02-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #50
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I love a good turbo engine- bit have you driven a late model 3.8? This side of the S65, it's my favorite power plant (particularly in a Boxster/Cayman S).

I have and they are great engines.
I've driven and almost bought a 997 gt3 but bought a m3csl instead-same kinda track car theme but obviously not as epic.

I dont rate the balance or driving characteristics of the porsche turbo and cant justify/afford the cost of the gt2.

I was hoping the Cayman gt4 would be a mixture of the above with the rarity/ and tune ability of the 1M.

Great car, just not what i was hoping for.
      02-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #51
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

I drove a 981 Cayman S and did like it a lot, but it was PDK so I didn't get the full experience.

A good friend of mine just put his name on the list for a GT4 so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Moderately optioned, it will be $105k. That doesn't include racy carbon brakes, full leather, carbon trim, or bucket seats. It will probably be a fantastic car nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #52
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I cannot stop thinking about this car. Price is sobering ...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #53
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I cannot stop thinking about this car. Price is sobering ...
i agree. it will be a great car. however, its really cool to be a car guy these days. there are so many wonderful cars out and coming out soon. it makes me want to hold onto this one as long as possible. i know this car will be a $100-150k car in the next few years. just wait.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #54
RocketJohn
Hookem Horns!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 325iX, '95 993C2

I wonder if the expectations are now too high for it. Will it be so buttoned down for the street that for those that don't take it to the track will be underwhelmed vs. another torque machine you could buy at that same price? Or it will kick ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #55
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I wonder if the expectations are now too high for it. Will it be so buttoned down for the street that for those that don't take it to the track will be underwhelmed vs. another torque machine you could buy at that same price? Or it will kick ass.
no way this will disappoint. When i drove the Cayman GTS i was VERY impressed....i'm sure this will be even a notch above this. Porsche doesn't really 'screw up' cars as witnessed by their past history and there is no way they'd screw up a "GT" model!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #56
RocketJohn
Hookem Horns!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Porsche doesn't really 'screw up' cars as witnessed by their past history and there is no way they'd screw up a "GT" model!!
So you missed the 991 GT3 debacle? No 6 speed and full engine recall? Not exactly flawless...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #57
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Quote:
Porsche doesn't really 'screw up' cars as witnessed by their past history and there is no way they'd screw up a "GT" model!!
So you missed the 991 GT3 debacle? No 6 speed and full engine recall? Not exactly flawless...
6-speed vs PDK is an ongoing debate. Though I personally prefer the 3-pedal setup, Porsche builds the GT3 to be the fastest 911--they couldn't do this if the 991 GT3 was manual. This is not a "screw-up." We may not like it but it is evolution.

I do agree with you that the engine fire issue was slightly more problematic! 😳
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #58
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
the gearbox choice is a choice/preference....and the engine was a reliability issue. Find me anyone who thinks the 991 GT3 is 'disappointing' after driving one---i'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time finding that.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #59
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
the gearbox choice is a choice/preference....and the engine was a reliability issue. Find me anyone who thinks the 991 GT3 is 'disappointing' after driving one---i'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time finding that.
heard they are too good to be true...
Porsche's could hold some stronger value in upcoming years, knowing that lots have shifted to turbo.. porsche should be staying some na models..
      02-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #60
RocketJohn
Hookem Horns!
United_States
Rep

You guys are setting yourselves up for possible disappointment. This is the new Porsche, part of the VWAG. I think that's what I like about the smaller cheaper cars from BMW, they over deliver with minimal over commitments. Porsche's have to over deliver to meet expectations.

Funny to see in almost every sports car forum this month a GT4 thread. It's on everyone's radar as the new standard and no one has even driven one. I too expect it to be amazing and applaud Porsche for bringing it to market. Interesting to observe the expectations continuing to climb sky high. I have a Porsche and hope them all the luck in the world, but I'm cautiously optimistic and will wait and see.

When the Cayman R came out, we were all comparing the 1 Series M to it. Makes sense to compare the M2 to the GT4. M2 and 1 series M will be better street cars. GT4 will be better track car.

At Denver C&C where was all the attention given? i8 and Alfa 4C

My pics from Saturday:
http://rocketjohn.smugmug.com/Cars/F...rs-and-Coffee/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #61
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

no doubt the GT4 will be badass and will have a awesome driving experience but living with one day to day would be abit much

best to get a Gt4 for the weekends and a 1m or m2 for the daily
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #62
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

I don't see this car and the M2 in the same class. There is no way BMW will make the M2 faster than the good ole M3 around the NBurgh ring and this car is conservatively "projected" to best the F80/82 by a full 10 sec (7:40). That's demanding a full 33 seconds faster than the 1M's time (8:13).
I'd say the M2 comes closer to the cayman GTS's time 7:53 (like 7:55) and BMW then respond to the GT4 w something like an M2 CSL. (I know... But I can dream can't I?)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #63
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
You guys are setting yourselves up for possible disappointment. This is the new Porsche, part of the VWAG. I think that's what I like about the smaller cheaper cars from BMW, they over deliver with minimal over commitments. Porsche's have to over deliver to meet expectations.

Funny to see in almost every sports car forum this month a GT4 thread. It's on everyone's radar as the new standard and no one has even driven one. I too expect it to be amazing and applaud Porsche for bringing it to market. Interesting to observe the expectations continuing to climb sky high. I have a Porsche and hope them all the luck in the world, but I'm cautiously optimistic and will wait and see.

When the Cayman R came out, we were all comparing the 1 Series M to it. Makes sense to compare the M2 to the GT4. M2 and 1 series M will be better street cars. GT4 will be better track car.

At Denver C&C where was all the attention given? i8 and Alfa 4C

My pics from Saturday:
http://rocketjohn.smugmug.com/Cars/F...rs-and-Coffee/
Go away troll, we're not going to click your link and drive traffic to your site.

Also the GT4 will out perform both the 1M and the M2 in just about every way other than maybe total interior volume and truck space. It's also 30k more than these cars, lighter and mid engined, but please go on telling us they're better on the street.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #64
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

30k more? Please tell me where i can get one for 78k. Reasonably equipped the gt4 easily exceeds 100k, essentially double the 1m. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one but need a back seat so I will go for 997 tt for same price or cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It seems as if the Cayman GT4 is a Porsche that got - to some extent - a kind of '1M treatment': take a smal(ler) car of the product range, upgrade it with a different, powerful engine + several parts from a bigger brother that influence/impact the driving dynamics, make it manual only (not only for some extra driving fun, but also to make it harder to beat the bigger brother's lap times), get it some special features (interior/exterior) and tag the package with a rather interesting price compared to the other models of the product range. And by doing so, make a statement about the type of cars you (still) dare to build.
      02-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #66
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I put down a deposit yesterday, Im in love with this thing, I bought a 1M in a blink of an eye because it was the small masculine turbo'ed BMW I always hoped they'd make. This is the porsche I always hoped for. I just don't know if I can give up my heavily modded to my liking 1M, Id have to, and have to trade it in to use my equity in the 1m to make the cayman affordable. What do you guys think it will do value wise compared to a 1m that has been wildly rock solid? I guess I have some time to decide and this is THE car that could make me leave the 1M but I planned to keep this forever, not trade it in :