Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

CaymanS!
      03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Life is too short ... If you can move from a 1M and it ends up not costing you anything then I say go for it.
We all know it's a fantastic car but I'm all for experiencing new things.
What you go to next is almost irrelevant, have it for a yr or so and then jump across to the next thing. If you really miss it, it's not hard to come back to a 1M.

It's a fantastic car, but there will be better.
Personally I'd look at the A45 or CLA45 just to try something different. If the $$$ can stretch then as everyone has mentioned it'd be a Porsche of some sort.

Either way, I think you're in a good position, good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Hi fellas,

I am in a relatively lucky position of selling my 1M this year or next and end up making a considerable profit without even trying for it (mainly because of my diplomatic status and I am not willing to share the how abouts of it, please!). All I can say is this is a fact. I love the 1M, it is the best car for me and a perfect companion and in an ideal world I would never sell it but like most I do have a family with young kids and my financial capabilities are far from being endless to ignore this kind of extra profit and insist in keeping a car for an indefinite period of time. Plus I keep on moving and changing countries due to my work description which adds more to the complexity of making plans about future.

Since last year, I chose following three future models as probable 1M replacement: the M2, new Mini GP and Alfa 4C. What I mean is I can buy any of them new and there will still be money left (more or less depending on which I choose) from the sale of my now-used 1M which makes the rationale of this deal appealing since later when I sell that new car the profit will probably (but not for sure) further get bigger and those alternatives are also not like driving diesel vans or so. To be clear: I am not interested in any bigger car, like the actual or future M3/M4 for instance. Another detail; despite the quality of 1M I had my share with respect to dealing with BMW brand as a whole, dealer-service etc.-wise. So may or not be BMW, I am not loyal to any corporate brand.

I keep reading everything about those 3 cars and now there is real world data and reviews about the GP, usually good stuff but maybe not that stellar. Plus it is still fwd, what I mean is: just to give myself a rough idea I had a long and fast test drive in and out of the city with a 2012 Renault Megane RS Cup 265 hp yesterday, it was good but I almost cried with joy when I took back the steering wheel of my 1M. Not even single thing better than or equal with the 1M, no-nyet-nada! Torque steer, cheap materials, lack of a decent engine sound, lack of torque or power or steering feel, weird ergonomics, shaking gearbox, go name it, and that's supposed to be the best fwd car that I can probably buy. Factor it to price and it shines in everything but barely affects me at that point.

The M2 is not only distant (2014 earliest, my bet is 2015 since they won't release it same calendar year with the F80 M3) also there is a bigger X factor since I sincerely doubt that it will be as exclusive or special as the 1M. Because this time BMW knows that they can make huge gains from such vehicle and they will let the bean counting heads chime in. Having more time for development does not necessarily mean great news for the enthusiast and you know what I mean. It will sure be (at least fractionally) faster, more or similar power, newer model with more refinement, more gadgets and comfort etc. but will it be raw and special, will it have that final analog car and let's say old school/visceral sensation that 1M delivers, will it have 1M's road presence, will it make me forget the 1M, I very much doubt all of these. Also, I am afraid to get involved with BMW dealers and services yet again, who seem to be getting more and more ignorant or indifferent with every passing year.

The 4C has been the big news for me since 2 years and though I am a bit frustrated with production car's headlight, mirror and interior design details-and its price tag; they are not dealbreaker size of errors. It still is a mid engine, rwd Alfa with uniqueness and a rarely find high tech stuff like carbon chassis and body that lets the car weigh an incredible 895 kg. (dry). Alfa says it will sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 sec. and will pass 250 km/h. So, all in all comparable dynamics to 1M if not better. It is a 2 seater coupe so not fully apples to apples but...you get the idea.

As fellow 1M owners what are your feelings toward those three that I consider as candidates for a "consolation present"?
OMG...another 1M diehard jumps ship
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Life is too short ... If you can move from a 1M and it ends up not costing you anything then I say go for it.
We all know it's a fantastic car but I'm all for experiencing new things.
What you go to next is almost irrelevant, have it for a yr or so and then jump across to the next thing. If you really miss it, it's not hard to come back to a 1M.

It's a fantastic car, but there will be better.
Personally I'd look at the A45 or CLA45 just to try something different. If the $$$ can stretch then as everyone has mentioned it'd be a Porsche of some sort.

Either way, I think you're in a good position, good luck with your decision.
Thanks for such a well written and kind post. Curiosity indeed plays a more important role than any possible material gains. This doesn't mean that I got bored with the 1M, not at all, I just love it and in fact I know that whatever reason I sell it one day I will simply regret it.

Life is short as you say and maybe I just don't want to find myself in a situation that I will be "forced" to sell it quickly; instead I prefer to make it more like it is my own choice to move to another thing since there is always something good and refreshing about trying new things, which stimulate us and feed our curiosity. Also, being in control whenever you can and being able to choose the time and mode to sell a car like this is probably better than leaving it to chance and destiny.

I need to face it guys, no matter how much I like it, I just can't see how I can keep it real long. It is not a pet. Not really.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
OMG...another 1M diehard jumps ship
Hold it man, not yet, not that quick
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Those all seem a lot worse than what you have.
      03-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #29
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Decisions, decisions. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but have you asked the members of your household about the options you're considering?

I'm guessing you have, but I mention it only because I had a talk with my 12 year old son and 11 year old daughter today about our family 1M. I was feeling kind of selfish having such a great car and was thinking maybe I should sell the 1M and put the money to better use with the kids - either a fun kart (or karts), or maybe buy a project car we could rebuild together looking forward to when they can drive - perhaps an E46 M3 or an E30 325is or maybe figuring out a way to import a Lancia Delta Integrale.

They both said to keep the 1M because they love it and want to drive it when they're 16. Of course, they were excited about the other options, too.

Whatever you do, my only concrete suggestion is that you don't do anything with the 1M until you've used it to score some seat time in that Zonda.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide. Although I will say you will be greatly missed in our community here if you move on.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #30
Chapman1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide. Although I will say you will be greatly missed in our community here if you move on.
+1...always love your precious feedback in our topics!

Sometimes it helps when you really think about your life without the 1M...I still regret to this very day that I had to sell my Lotus Elise MK1.

I really do think that our cars have the potential to carry us along for most of our lives until we get old. And they will only get more precious over time.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I am a working guy and buying the 1M was a stretch for me and as I have said many times before, it will be the last manual only cars ever made by BMW and it is great fun. With that said, I understand that there are so many cars it's hard to find the right one for long term. I don't think there is one car that does it ALL, so if I was doing well, I would keep the 1M and get something else used for tracking or maybe a 540i for cruising with the whole family or I saw a beautiful 1986 Ferrari 308 at Cars and Coffee that would be a nice change of pace car. There is nothing new out there that appeals to me as much as the 1M. The M2 will be better technically and maybe even lighter but it will be bloated and they will be automatic, etc. I think you will be in the same boat after buying the M2 after a year and half.

The cars that seem appealing to me are the Cayman S and Cayman R, the Mustang Boss 302, and maybe the new Jaguar coupe. It was fun having you on the forum and good luck finding the next toy!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #32
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

First I'd say: Just keep it. But I understand the dilemma you're in.

New Cayman S(or wait for the R).

Best car as a successor. By far. Nothing comes close (price/power/funwise) imo.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #33
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I am a working guy and buying the 1M was a stretch for me and as I have said many times before, it will be the last manual only cars ever made by BMW and it is great fun. With that said, I understand that there are so many cars it's hard to find the right one for long term. I don't think there is one car that does it ALL, ...
+1, there isn't a car that is this comprehensive for the performance and family oriented.

Quote:
... I saw a beautiful 1986 Ferrari 308 at Cars and Coffee that would be a nice change of pace car...
Only if you grow a mustache and practice your frown

Quote:
... I think you will be in the same boat after buying the M2 after a year and half. ... !
this besides being lucky that your country's diplomacy has great perks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #34
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Ozi,
If you move on, would you please come back to share your opinion of the new car, in contrast to the 1M?!

If you're being offered a significant premium to part with the 1M, I'll say this: these types of offers are rare, and you probably won't have another chance like this.

Obviously the 1M is special and a great car, but change can be good too, promising new experiences.

Either way, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Guys, I don't even know if you are making it easier or more difficult What can I say, not only the car is great but even its forum is exceptional! But hey, I did not take a decision yet. And the Enzo/Pagani family (you all made me laugh) is not what I had in mind as the first option, that would really do and kind of granted, but I had something even better which I can't reveal the details in a public forum and all I can say is a) it is legal b) there is a big chance that I can do around double of what I paid for the car. Yes. It is kind of complicated but very doable.

As you see, I am not letting the 1M go easily at all, even with that kind of extra in sight. I am very attached to my car. I will probably take my chances and cool it down a bit, take it slow anyway.

Thanks everyone for great insight, this really was like a brainstorming session and I am not leaving this car or the forum yet. If I do, you guys will learn it first and I will stick around to give "bad advices" to newbies a la Dan Parker
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

If it is your only car, there isn't anything that isn't much more expensive I would want

Really a 997tt is the only car I've driven which I prefered dynamically on the street, but it's much smaller and more expensive

Cliffs : keep the 1m unless you want to spend more money and or have two cars
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The Enzo Man: I want a 1M, but BMW informed me that I can't order one anymore. Is that correct ?
Oz: Yup. Sold out. Last one was manufactured in July 2012.
The Enzo Man: Damn, how could I miss out on that one ? Can I get yours ?
Oz: Uh, no.
The Enzo Man: I refund what you paid - upfront payment.
Oz: It's not for sale.
The Enzo Man: C'mon, $60K
Oz: No
The Enzo Man: $70K
Oz: No.
The Enzo Man: Okay, $100K and a lavish two-week vacation for you and your family on board of my yacht.
Oz: Actually, no. I repeatedly told the forum fellows at 1addicts.com that I don't intend to sell it in the near future. It's a keeper.
The Enzo Man: Fair enough, I respect that, no sale then -- [Thinks] -- But what about a swap - let's exchange your 1M with one of the many exotics of my stable. Got some sweet goodies.
Oz: Okay, a swap with your Ferrari Enzo or F40 seems an honorable deal to me.
The Enzo Man: Man, I can't go for that. Had to sign a deal with the guys at Maranello.
Oz: I understand -- what about -- [Thinks] -- one of your Pagani cars ?
The Enzo Man: Nah, your kids won't fit in that one either. Got to think about your family, Oz.
Oz: One of your P-cars ...and that yacht trip you were referring to.
The Enzo Man: DEAL !

03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The Enzo Man: I want a 1M, but BMW informed me that I can't order one anymore. Is that correct ?
Oz: Yup. Sold out. Last one was manufactured in July 2012.
The Enzo Man: Damn, how could I miss out on that one ? Can I get yours ?
Oz: Uh, no.
The Enzo Man: I refund what you paid - upfront payment.
Oz: It's not for sale.
The Enzo Man: C'mon, $60K
Oz: No
The Enzo Man: $70K
Oz: No.
The Enzo Man: Okay, $100K and a lavish two-week vacation for you and your family on board of my yacht.
Oz: Actually, no. I repeatedly told the forum fellows at 1addicts.com that I don't intend to sell it in the near future. It's a keeper.
The Enzo Man: Fair enough, I respect that, no sale then -- [Thinks] -- But what about a swap - let's exchange your 1M with one of the many exotics of my stable. Got some sweet goodies.
Oz: Okay, a swap with your Ferrari Enzo or F40 seems an honorable deal to me.
The Enzo Man: Man, I can't go for that. Had to sign a deal with the guys at Maranello.
Oz: I understand -- what about -- [Thinks] -- one of your Pagani cars ?
The Enzo Man: Nah, your kids won't fit in that one either. Got to think about your family, Oz.
Oz: One of your P-cars ...and that yacht trip you were referring to.
The Enzo Man: DEAL !

A few days ago we came accross, me with family and TEM with girl friend/fiance in a restaurant and he asked to go for a lunch with families actually, I wonder what would he feel if I take a print out of this and show to him

You really nail it sometimes Artemis with your pop culture applications and scenarios which are super fun, but attention to detail please: Paganis and Enzo and company are actually belong to his brother's garage (should be size of a warehouse), not his own. Best he has is the Aston, and the NSX and the GT-R and half of their family fortune I think he drives the democratic SUV Range Rover most of the time anyway.

I need to reach out the brother. Damn, life is complicated!

If you really are curious about what is on my mind (TEM concept is a fall back plan) PM me and I'll tell you the basics of the master plan

And if I fail in both plans, guess what: I will continue keeping the 1M, good for me indeed.

p.s. By the way, you people made me go check the Porsche configurator one more time. I feel nothing wrong with a base Boxster or Cayman and not the S versions. At least, I feel less guilty when I load the base car with 25,000 Euro worth options that wouldn't even include CCB, PDK or PCM. Did you know that you could more than double the base price of a Cayman/Boxster by adding options?

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-15-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #39
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

The kids growing up etc. Tell me about it. You'll end up driving a Panamera instead of a Cayman. And that's not right!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The kids growing up etc. Tell me about it. You'll end up driving a Panamera instead of a Cayman. And that's not right!

Cheers
Robin
No Panamera! God forbid. I am not gonna be fat P-family guy; family can always fit in a regular crossover happily and safely.

I like to have a separate car for myself and keep it as small and sporty as possible. It is the Mr. Hyde side of my personal life. Responsible family man Dr. Jekyll's wife's car is a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG fully loaded with touch screen this panoramic that thanks to generosity of VW Group and everyone seems to be super happy with it, including myself, when we are mobile together during week-ends. Two different universes which should never clash, or just occasionally. 1M is only good for rare family trips to certain destinations, depending on roads to/from home. For every other purpose versatile/able/spacious/comfy and economical option is the Yeti. No wonder it was elected car of the year in UK and later as best family car in many Europan countries. It is absurdly well priced for what it offers, totally problem free and after testing every other SUV/SAV/Crossover here I bought it. I could prefer a Ford C-Max or B-Max or Peugeot's 5008 but they were absent in Chile at the time.

Will continue to do the same for the family in the future: touring/station wagon cars, crossovers, auto boxes fit better for family of Dr. Jekyll.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The number 1 rule in buying a new car is never by the first model year of a first generation model.
I know and in general I totally agree with that rule. Having said that there should be exceptions to every rule, otherwise why we all ended up buying a 1M? It was an experimental car and most bought it without seeing or even reading a real review of it.

GP is half a year, 2000 total unit. 4C will first have a launch edition limited to 1000 units, 500 just for US. So, not much chance about those two.

I could wait the spyder/roadster or "GTA" version of the Alfa though

For others who suggest Cayman S, different price point since Porsche does not sell to diplomats plus I am not sold (yet) on the new electro-mechanic steering and more importantly on looks of it. I configured a Boxster and a Cayman and they reach to hillarious prices when you put everything you want/need in the car. As always with P cars.
The other car in my household, gf's, is a 2013 boxster, before I got the 1M I was keen on the old cayman s so influenced her to the boxster, it is a awesome car. Wonderful dynamics and I'm a minimalist/purist, but I love the way the steering feels on the new boxster/cayman, very good natural feel, just without any vibration ever, if that car had more power, hers is a non s, it would be very close in driver satisfaction to the 1M. It definitely makes a difference your diplomatic benefits and Porsche not offering them though. Just wanted to say that the 1M and the new platform for the boxster/cayman is all I drive, usually both everyday, and the electro steering is no real downside.
      03-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #42
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
The other car in my household, gf's, is a 2013 boxster, before I got the 1M I was keen on the old cayman s so influenced her to the boxster, it is a awesome car. Wonderful dynamics and I'm a minimalist/purist, but I love the way the steering feels on the new boxster/cayman, very good natural feel, just without any vibration ever, if that car had more power, hers is a non s, it would be very close in driver satisfaction to the 1M. It definitely makes a difference your diplomatic benefits and Porsche not offering them though. Just wanted to say that the 1M and the new platform for the boxster/cayman is all I drive, usually both everyday, and the electro steering is no real downside.
Thanks for the feedback, good to hear it from a 1M owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #43
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
The number 1 rule in buying a new car is never by the first model year of a first generation model.
Oz

I was recently thinking of the M2, and could it be better than the 1M. And perhaps another chance for Euro Delivery, and then I remembered the first year car I owned ( a subaru legacy) and it was an decent car that had some horrible first year issues.

The 1M was a first and only year model of a sorted e82 chassis going into its second to last year of production. Quite different than a completely new model. However, BMW does release M models a year after the underlying car.

In defense of the unknown heritage of the M2, the 1995 M3 still remains the most desirable of e36s in many cases ( in the us). However, we all know that late model Z3Ms got a much better motor....

Tough call on the money side of things, , but I certainly wouldn't gamble on Alfa ownership being a better experience than BMW.

There is no way I could switch to front wheel drive as my sports car. Sorry, MINI GP can be cool as hell but still driving the wrong wheels.

The Alfa has cool looks, and according to Top Gear you aren't a sports car fan until you own one, but does that mean you should buy a new one?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Oz

I was recently thinking of the M2, and could it be better than the 1M. And perhaps another chance for Euro Delivery, and then I remembered the first year car I owned ( a subaru legacy) and it was an decent car that had some horrible first year issues.

The 1M was a first and only year model of a sorted e82 chassis going into its second to last year of production. Quite different than a completely new model. However, BMW does release M models a year after the underlying car.

In defense of the unknown heritage of the M2, the 1995 M3 still remains the most desirable of e36s in many cases ( in the us). However, we all know that late model Z3Ms got a much better motor....

Tough call on the money side of things, , but I certainly wouldn't gamble on Alfa ownership being a better experience than BMW.

There is no way I could switch to front wheel drive as my sports car. Sorry, MINI GP can be cool as hell but still driving the wrong wheels.

The Alfa has cool looks, and according to Top Gear you aren't a sports car fan until you own one, but does that mean you should buy a new one?
Food for thought! Thanks Adjuster, I appreciate it all.

Maybe I catch a good deal on a 2010/2011 Boxster Spyder (I like it as a more attractive concept than Cayman R) whereever I will end up next year, it was my only real contender vs 1M two years ago. Would finish the search for me. Issue is in most markets you won't find a single one for sale, and if you do will be a loaded PDK version which contradicts my taste.
Appreciate 0