04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #67
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcut1 View Post
I really enjoy having the opportunity to drive wirh others in the car (back seat), so that would rule out the Alfa and Cayman. I also prefer to be seen in something that illustrates my passion for driving and not just a fancy car that someone with a lot of money buys for a toy. One of the cool things about the 1m is just that, it's not a car that someone with unlimited funds will buy, (especially since they could only get a "used" car), only the dedicated enthusiast who had the vision and made the investment to reserve their spot or worked hard to find one after research brought them to the conclusion that this was the car to have. What do you replace it with? Why replace it? Maybe if you want a bigger car with more room? Something sexier or more elegant? What will offer these traits and still be exclusive (without costing an arm and a leg), and offer the combination of daily practicality and track ready performance? Probably an M3 will be closest but they are a dime a dozen around here. Wait a year for the next generation at least, plus they always have special editions. CLA45? Lightweight, classy, 30 mpg, very cool options including leather and alcantara dash and trim as well as 4 wheel drive. May drive well but it is a big unknown, and there will be a bunch of them around unless they do a special edition. Used GT3 as mentioned? Not a bad choice. Maybe a bit too rough for daily driving on terrible pavement?
How about keeping the 1m and changing things up a bit with a wrap, new wheels, etc.
After all, the "real" reason for changing cars is you probably are just a bit bored of it after a while and like looking forward to something new and different. At least that would be my reason.
Best!
Rob
No, my reasons are not related to getting bored of it or looking for something else, not at all. On the contrary, your description of the 1M I do agree with, totally. Doesn't make it any easier for me. Yesterday for instance, I really was more excited when I got back in to my car then seeing the new Cayman in person first time. It must be a real love story since I am not attracted to other beauties
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #68
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
i will go test drive it next tuesday and will let ya'll know how it rides...
Please do! I will try to do the same soon.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #69
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

Keep it then, since it should always be a classic. Financially, anything else you purchase will likely depreciate unless you find that diamond in the rough, and then you will be back to square one in a couple of years. I was just sharing my own reasons for selling someday since I usually keep cars for no longer than 6 mths.
The only car I regret selling is a Porsche 993 RS AMERICA. The 1m is very much like that car in its driving dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
No, my reasons are not related to getting bored of it or looking for something else, not at all. On the contrary, your description of the 1M I do agree with, totally. Doesn't make it any easier for me. Yesterday for instance, I really was more excited when I got back in to my car then seeing the new Cayman in person first time. It must be a real love story since I am not attracted to other beauties
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #70
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Update: 2013 Boxster S Test Drive

They did not have a Cayman demo car so I had to live with trying a 2013 Boxster S instead. Just an hour ago I had a half an hour test drive with it (PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono, 20 inch wheels). Impressions:

The most surprising thing was how comfortable the ride was, and this despite 20 inch wheels. It definitely is an easy car to drive in all situations and has many facets due to a variety of arrangements you can make. Is it a good thing? Well, I told the dealer that I would probably leave it in "Sport" mode and forget about the rest.

The electronic hand brake button is hidden very well, even the dealer had a problem to spot and use it, absurd choice. Auto Start Stop works flawlessly and you can also switch that function off if you prefer.

I will reserve my final judgement till I drive a Cayman, but seems like it will make little difference since there are no manuals here, dealer was firm about that and kind of treated me like I am a diplomat of a tribal country riding camels at home and as if this was my first time that I see a PDK-like gear box when I told him that it seems "perfect" but I still prefer a manual. He asked "but why?" and I replied "it is not important how efficient is the PDK it is important that I have a full sensation that I drive the car and not vice versa plus a manual makes you get more intimate with the car, you learn more about its strengths and weaknesses because simply it is less forgiving and deserves attention all the time, depending on your input it rewards or punishes you like it should". He said he will ask if they can get an authorization for a manual Cayman importation to Chile after that Gotta love Porsche dealers!

Now, more important: the new electro-mechanic steering! I was not impressed at all, it was sad after all the success and perfection that they had with their previous set ups, I mean why you change a trade mark set up? I am not saying at all that it was horrible or so but there was a genuine lack of feel, it was like any other electro-mechanic set up in any other car, not a brand new Porsche roadster. The crushing detail is when you select "Sport" or "Sport Plus" buttons, there is a great leap in a) sound b) throttle response c) the speed and behaviour of PDK in auto mode; but not that much at all regarding the steering feel, it remains essentially the same, asking you silently to trust and do whatever you want and it would follow, and it does I guess, but does not motivate you to do that. It definitely feels like a comfort and economy oriented engineering solution, two reasons why you don't go and buy a Boxster or Cayman.

Lastly (which is not an important point for me but) unless you choose a PDK and Sport Chrono Pack and set everything for max and go for a full acceleration you won't feel that it is as quick or powerful as 1M. The low end grunt is naturally not there and you really need space to open the car up. When you do and when there is enough space ahead of you it goes like it promises with a respectable soundtrack from the engine and exhaust.

First drive impression result; vs a 1M it feels more capable (chassis-suspension), tremendous balance, totally neutral and feels like you can never spin it unless you are doing very wrong things, what else: more modern, more comfortable (ride), almost as fast BUT also less visceral/organic, less brutal, less connected to its driver, in gear flexibility is way behind and of course it is less practical with just two seats and two piece luggage spaces (you can't divide a baby stroller or a big suitcase in two, can you?) I don't know how much a manual Cayman could change this for me, especially since I was thinking about going for base version with even less power.

If there is anyone reading this and owns a Cayman R/Boxster Spyder or a nice 997 with a manual and liking them a lot, I sincerely advise think twice and make a long test drive before trading yours for the new one, yours may hold their value better in the future for a good reason

Last edited by ozinaldo; 04-12-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #71
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

2013 Audi S3

Later this year the 2013 Audi S3 will be released.
- exterior: sleeper / Q car. Gets a quad pipe though.
- interior: superb Audi quality.
- position: supposed to enter M135i and Merc A45 AMG sales territory.

"This is the new Audi S3, a near-300bhp four-wheel drive hot hatch that’s as quick as a Porsche 911 and a rival for BMW’s M135i and the forthcoming Mercedes A45 AMG. Is it a VW Golf GTI turned up to 11, or just a faster Audi A3?
[...]
Verdict
The Audi S3 has always been a good all-round hot hatch, but this latest version has a broader repertoire: it’s more refined and the cabin is unmatched in this class, and it’s also more fun to drive hard. The S3 isn’t quite as involving as any of the Ford/Vauxhall/Renaultsport crowd, but I’m not sure that matters when the rest of the package is so complete."
(review - April 10, 2013 - CAR Magazine: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...13-CAR-review/)

Name:  2013_Audi_S3_01.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  2013_Audi_S3_02.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  68.8 KB
Name:  2013_Audi_S3_03.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  2013_Audi_S3_Interior.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  2013_Audi_S3_Gauges.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  85.4 KB
      04-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #72
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

"This is the new Audi S3, a near-300bhp four-wheel drive hot hatch that’s as quick as a Porsche 911 and a rival for BMW’s M135i and the forthcoming Mercedes A45 AMG. Is it a VW Golf GTI turned up to 11, or just a faster Audi A3?
[...]
Verdict
The Audi S3 has always been a good all-round hot hatch, but this latest version has a broader repertoire: it’s more refined and the cabin is unmatched in this class, and it’s also more fun to drive hard. The S3 isn’t quite as involving as any of the Ford/Vauxhall/Renaultsport crowd, but I’m not sure that matters when the rest of the package is so complete."
(review - April 10, 2013 - CAR Magazine: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...13-CAR-review/)
Thanks Artemis. Honestly, I am not excited with any Audi (a quattro car) for the moment. Doesn't seem to be the right choice for me after 1M. For now I hope I will be able to keep it and if I can't a Alfa 4C or a Cayman manual tailored to my liking should replace the thrills better.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #73
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
They did not have a Cayman demo car so I had to live with trying a 2013 Boxster S instead. Just an hour ago I had a half an hour test drive with it (PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono, 20 inch wheels). Impressions:
Great read man, I can't wait to hear your comparison with a manual Cayman
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #74
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

[...]
Verdict
apparently the vw konzern decided to clearly separate the new golf R (mk7) from this new 2013 audi s3. as opposed to the current models that share the same engine and driving characteristics, the new golf R will be the more brutal and aggressive car this time around with regard to driving experience.
      04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #75
Karen and John
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Ozinaldo,
Interesting dilemma. I am in the same position as you-I buy at diplomatic rates-and the 1M is the only car for the past 12 years that I have kept for more than a year. We are intending to keep ours because it is so unique and we love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #76
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

Like some others, my kids are growing, and although it might make no sense for some, I am waiting to see how the M4 will be perceived. If it is not an absolute blast, I might consider to buy a used M3 E92. OK: heavy and not the best mpg but roomier, perfect handling and it is starting to be some kind of a bargain.
And... the last naturally aspired M engine... Remember the Porsche 993 fate: maybe a good investment... :-)
Other alternative: well, I keep my 1M forever !!!
JMP
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #77
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
Like some others, my kids are growing, and although it might make no sense for some, I am waiting to see how the M4 will be perceived. If it is not an absolute blast, I might consider to buy a used M3 E92. OK: heavy and not the best mpg but roomier, perfect handling and it is starting to be some kind of a bargain.
And... the last naturally aspired M engine... Remember the Porsche 993 fate: maybe a good investment... :-)
Other alternative: well, I keep my 1M forever !!!
JMP
I would consider E90 sedan instead of E92 in your case, four doors, really more space (E92 is not that different than a 1M), same engine/technology and essentially same performance plus for some, including me, it is the better looking car vs. the coupe, especially in blue
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #78
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

ozinaldo, you are right and pragmatic, and I even heard that the sedan body is stiffer than the coupe... But I would then miss the carbon fiber roof :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #79
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
ozinaldo, you are right and pragmatic, and I even heard that the sedan body is stiffer than the coupe... But I would then miss the carbon fiber roof :-(
I agree with Oz. 1st. Carbon fiber while lighter shears in a crash while metal twists. There are several pictures of wrecked carbon roof m3s and roof is missing and car is in half. Just look at F1 crashes. It's fine when you have a roll cage and helmet but not sure if I want that for my kids.

2. Getting in and out of the rear is a pain with power seats. Easier with manual seats but most are electric seats.

3. The E90 looks weird in the rear like they forgot to finish the job. The sedan looks bull dog-ish and is rarer.

4. When I visited ///M at Garching they told me that the sedan handles better than the coupe. They didn't know why it's what the M drivers discovered.

So for safety, looks. Rarity comfort and handling I would go with sunroof delete sedan.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #80
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

P car would be my next step. It all depends on an used Cayman R, an used GT3 or a brand new Cayman S.

Yes, I love 987/997 more than 981/991, but in a long run, you have to accept the new techs.

Daily drive? I think I prefer an used E90 M3 rather than CLA45/RS3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #81
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

So I just came back from the Testdrive in the Cayman S (I wont go into how many the car can sit or boot space as those things are obvious and are individual to a persons preference).

As soon as I got in it I was amazed. The entire interior is in a different league compared to the 1M. The materials are very high quality and the general feel of the cockpit feels worth its money. What I honestly did not like was the SatNav. Now maybe I didnt have the best Navi available in the Testcar, but Porsche does properly good SatNavs so I was a bit disappointed there.

Next up sound: Compared to a 1M fitted with a full Akra Evo the Porsche Cayman sound has no game (sorry I know not everyone runs an exhaust system, but I dont remember how a normal 1M sounds ). However I really enjoyed listening to the uninterrupted noise of the straight six when in the high revs. With the 1M you always have the turbo noise in the background - not saying that I dont like it - but the straight six also sounds amazing without turbos especially if you get a Cayman S with the optional performance exhaust system

The ride (eventhough the test car was on 20" rims) was surprisingly comfortable. In automatic mode with none of the gadgets switched to race it rides very smooth. I could well imagine this being my DD car for urban areas.

Ill be honest, its weird driving a naturally aspirated engine when youre used to driving turbos. It feels like you have to work a lot more with the car to get it just right and how you want it. I drove the Cayman S on a mountain road, so getting the revs just right to accelerate properly requires some getting used to. However, once youre set its just so much fun. Especially with the PDK in Sport Plus. The gear changes are so quick and brutal when shifting up yet 100% smooth when shifting down. I was really really impressed with the PDK.

When all the buttons are pressed to race mode and the ESP is off the Cayman S transforms into a real beast. Dispite driving it very hard on tight bends, you always feel very much in control of the car. And its so easy to drift Due to the midengine setup the car is immensly balanced and very easy to play with. When coming up on a hairpin curve you put it into first and just slam the throttle to make the back come out. Then all you have to do is balance it with the pedal - very enjoyable. If your more of a precision type of person: This car is sooo fast through the bends. My 1M wouldve let go ages before compared to the Cayman S. Its really quite incredible.

The Cayman S is to me a very good subsitute (or addition if you can) to any 1M driver. As both are RWD you only really have to adapt to the engine. All other aspects are easier, or just as easy in the Cayman S as in the 1M.

I was very impressed with the Cayman S and would definately get myself one
      04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #82
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
So I just came back from the Testdrive in the Cayman S (I wont go into how many the car can sit or boot space as those things are obvious and are individual to a persons preference).

As soon as I got in it I was amazed. The entire interior is in a different league compared to the 1M. The materials are very high quality and the general feel of the cockpit feels worth its money. What I honestly did not like was the SatNav. Now maybe I didnt have the best Navi available in the Testcar, but Porsche does properly good SatNavs so I was a bit disappointed there.

Next up sound: Compared to a 1M fitted with a full Akra Evo the Porsche Cayman sound has no game (sorry I know not everyone runs an exhaust system, but I dont remember how a normal 1M sounds ). However I really enjoyed listening to the uninterrupted noise of the straight six when in the high revs. With the 1M you always have the turbo noise in the background - not saying that I dont like it - but the straight six also sounds amazing without turbos especially if you get a Cayman S with the optional performance exhaust system

The ride (eventhough the test car was on 20" rims) was surprisingly comfortable. In automatic mode with none of the gadgets switched to race it rides very smooth. I could well imagine this being my DD car for urban areas.

Ill be honest, its weird driving a naturally aspirated engine when youre used to driving turbos. It feels like you have to work a lot more with the car to get it just right and how you want it. I drove the Cayman S on a mountain road, so getting the revs just right to accelerate properly requires some getting used to. However, once youre set its just so much fun. Especially with the PDK in Sport Plus. The gear changes are so quick and brutal when shifting up yet 100% smooth when shifting down. I was really really impressed with the PDK.

When all the buttons are pressed to race mode and the ESP is off the Cayman S transforms into a real beast. Dispite driving it very hard on tight bends, you always feel very much in control of the car. And its so easy to drift Due to the midengine setup the car is immensly balanced and very easy to play with. When coming up on a hairpin curve you put it into first and just slam the throttle to make the back come out. Then all you have to do is balance it with the pedal - very enjoyable. If your more of a precision type of person: This car is sooo fast through the bends. My 1M wouldve let go ages before compared to the Cayman S. Its really quite incredible.

The Cayman S is to me a very good subsitute (or addition if you can) to any 1M driver. As both are RWD you only really have to adapt to the engine. All other aspects are easier, or just as easy in the Cayman S as in the 1M.

Thanks, I appreciate a lot. So the same strentgths of the Boxster S that I tested myself, similar impressions. You obviously had a better/longer test drive than I did. I would go with a manual anyway, despite the sophistication of the PDK. I also believe that Cayman must be feeling sportier than the Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #83
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:

Excellent review. Two entirely different cars but if anything were to tempt me it would be a new Cayman S. Always wise to respect a great car regardless if you own something different or special, I can't stand a "this is what I own so naturally its better" review

Thanks again good read!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #84
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
If I didn't have kids - Cayman S.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #85
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
anyone knew what is the best p car forum?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #86
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
replacing my 1M with the Raptor EOY

while i wait for the release of the M2, the Raptor has very low depreciation, has the king of trucks factor, and Ford only makes about 4-5000 units per year of these bad boys. ulimate redneck with a paycheck truck

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
anyone knew what is the best p car forum?
For what types/ years/ usage? Stock, modified?
      04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #88
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
For what types/ years/ usage? Stock, modified?
2014 cayman s or 2012-2013 911 Carrera S
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0