BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #1
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135Is

Comfort Access question

New car to me, so I'm still getting used to things.. When I got the PPI done, it showed this car has the Comfort Access option, but the door unlocking feature is not working.

However, I can start the car without the key in the slot after unlocking the car with the fob. Maybe that's normal? Is there a short window where that works?

When I stop the car, though, the accessories remain on. The radio keeps playing, for example, even if I get out of the car and close the door. Locking with the fob turns everything off.

Will the accessories turn themselves off after a minute or two if I don't do this? Or will they just stay on indefinitely?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

When shutting car off, first push of button turns engine Off. Second push turns off radio, etc.

With Comfort Access, fob in pocket: you should be able to simply pull the door handle, and door unlocks/opens. Change out the batteries in each of your fobs, and try again . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep

You also should be able to lock doors by simply holding a finger on the ribbed portion of the door handle (ribbed, for her Comfort Access)
Continue to press, and the windows will fold inward
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
When shutting car off, first push of button turns engine Off. Second push turns off radio, etc.

With Comfort Access, fob in pocket: you should be able to simply pull the door handle, and door unlocks/opens. Change out the batteries in each of your fobs, and try again . . .
Ah, thank you for the Double-Off Trick!

The door opening feature is currently not functional, but I intend to get that fixed asap. I love the idea of not needing to fish my keys out of whatever pocket they've been hiding in.
Appreciate 1
jdt10768331.50
      11-21-2023, 01:35 PM   #5
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep

as a test, try the fob-less unlock/open on your passenger side door.
you may just have a driver's side door handle issue w/ Comfort Access
you might fix the issue with fresh batteries in fob(s)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
as a test, try the fob-less unlock/open on your passenger side door.
you may just have a driver's side door handle issue w/ Comfort Access
you might fix the issue with fresh batteries in fob(s)
Yes, I did try using the passenger side door. It was a little weird. It took three tries and then the door unlocked. The driver door doesn't work at all. Changing out the fob battery is next.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:39 PM   #7
Donkeyshins
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i ZSP 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finneganistan View Post
Yes, I did try using the passenger side door. It was a little weird. It took three tries and then the door unlocked. The driver door doesn't work at all. Changing out the fob battery is next.
I have had similar issues - first the keyless start stopped working, then the doors have gradually become less reliable with locking / unlocking via touch. Battery replacement has not addressed any of these issues, so I've been advised to replace the comfort access module (P/N 61359134708 - Control Unit Passive Go), which apparently can suffer water infiltration, but is relatively cheap used and easy to replace.

If I end up doing this, I'll report back with results.
Lemon Boston Sport Interior
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:22 PM   #8
Andrewbens
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw !35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeyshins View Post
I have had similar issues - first the keyless start stopped working, then the doors have gradually become less reliable with locking / unlocking via touch. Battery replacement has not addressed any of these issues, so I've been advised to replace the comfort access module (P/N 61359134708 - Control Unit Passive Go), which apparently can suffer water infiltration, but is relatively cheap used and easy to replace.

If I end up doing this, I'll report back with results.
Take it out of the trunk first and see if there’s any water damage. I know in my car the keyless doesn’t work on anything and the module is in perfect condition from the looks of it
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

You don't have to pull on the door handle to unlock the doors with Comfort Access. You just need to touch the inside door handle and the doors should unlock. Also, you should be able to unlock the trunk by pressing on the trunk release handle in the same manner without using the fob.

My Comfort Access got toasted along with the junction box in the same area of the trunk from water. This was when the car was new and covered under warranty. The water intrusion was being debated as to the cause. At first, they thought it was from a water bottle I had in the trunk. I didn't know at the time all those electronics are there. Now I don't put anything liquid at all in the trunk. I had minor body work done during that time and I suspect it was from the body shop. They were trying to figure out if it's an internal charge back since the body shop is part of the dealership or if they were able to file a claim direct to BMW.

Regardless, I got it fixed with no charge to me.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      12-02-2023, 11:58 PM   #10
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

When this happened on my '13 128i, it ended up being necessary to replace the comfort access (aka, 'access denied'!) handle on the driver's door. It comes pre-painted for about $180, IIRC. That was a bit over a year ago. Not difficult to replace, and instructions abound on youtube and maybe in this forum as well!
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0