BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2020, 04:00 AM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Oil Pan Drain Plug Bolt Repair

So I found out that my (otherwise clean) 128i that I picked up last December had the oil drain plug overtorqued, which I found out when I went to do my first oil change in May. I had to pay a shop to remove it, and they put in an oversized bolt, which has been good sans the occasional drop or two of oil. However, my car is coming up on 110k miles, and there's a slight leak from the OPG, so I'm considering having that done as it is too much for me to do in my apartment parking lot. I'm currently weighing my options, which are as follows:

-Deal with a slight leak from the plug. Oil level sensor hasn't dropped at all in the 3 months since the bolt was replaced.

-Have a timesert installed. All of the shops I've talked to have never heard of this, and only mention helicoil. From my research, threadsert is superior

- Have the entire oil pan replaced. This one is gonna hurt, as the pan alone is $650 at Turner. However, this seems like the best approach with the most peace of mind.

Any input is welcome. I'm hoping to get the car in ship-shape over the next month so that I don't have to worry about anything for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
So I found out that my (otherwise clean) 128i that I picked up last December had the oil drain plug overtorqued, which I found out when I went to do my first oil change in May. I had to pay a shop to remove it, and they put in an oversized bolt, which has been good sans the occasional drop or two of oil. However, my car is coming up on 110k miles, and there's a slight leak from the OPG, so I'm considering having that done as it is too much for me to do in my apartment parking lot. I'm currently weighing my options, which are as follows:

-Deal with a slight leak from the plug. Oil level sensor hasn't dropped at all in the 3 months since the bolt was replaced.

-Have a timesert installed. All of the shops I've talked to have never heard of this, and only mention helicoil. From my research, threadsert is superior

- Have the entire oil pan replaced. This one is gonna hurt, as the pan alone is $650 at Turner. However, this seems like the best approach with the most peace of mind.

Any input is welcome. I'm hoping to get the car in ship-shape over the next month so that I don't have to worry about anything for a while.
I had this problem with an old X3. I just tapped it out to the next larger thread (I think it was M14) and installed a Stahlbus valve so I will never have to remove the drain plug again.

https://www.stahlbus-us.com/stahlbus...r4d4ure5pmc9st

I haven't had any problems with leaking from the plug. If you are worried about leaking though, you can put some thread sealant on there, like Hylomar Blue. FWIW, I just screwed the Stahlbus directly into the new threads on the aluminum pan... no inserts or anything. If you are going to go with a removable plug, an insert would probably be a good idea though, because the aluminum threads are probably going to get messed up again at some point.

https://smile.amazon.com/Valco-Cinci...9931329&sr=8-1

There are other options besides the Stahlbus too (although I like it's design the best).

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?p...&partnumber=36

https://yhst-137220973255828.stores....f5ecwitec.html
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Yes the oil pan gasket most likely will need to be replaced BUT I highly recommend joining BMWCCA and SC chapter in Greenville. The people there will tell you the best BMW garages with the best prices.
Appreciate 0