BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
jojo2333
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Cylinder 1 and 2 Misfires after parked

Hey guys. I have a 2008 135i.

Earlier this year in July, I replaced the spark plugs and noticed (I don't perfectly recall) fuel or oil on the 2 spark plugs in cylinder 1 and 2.

No major drivability issues but sometimes I noticed I would get a limp mode when in a high gear but at a low RPM. (Not under WOT tho and only happened once in a blue moon)

I did notice I had to add a quart of oil after roughly 5,000 kms of driving (all highway)

Fast forward to October,

The car ran perfectly fine with no CEL, no RPM issues. I recently parked it to store for the winter and after a week of being parked, I started the car to notice the RPMs fluctuating A LOT and to also realize the CEL was on. Noticeably when the RPMs were fluctuating, randomly a big cloud of white smoke came from the exhaust for about 10 seconds before completely going away and leaving minor white trails coming out of the exhaust.

I scanned the codes to find it's a Cylinder 1 and 2 misfire.

Reasons leave me to believe it could be injectors if it was fuel on the plugs, also could be the valve cover gasket if it was oil on the plugs. Valve cover would also make me lose oil.

Guess I should start with inspecting the plugs again since I just replaced them, swap coils to see if the misfires follow the coils and worst case, take it to get professionally diagnosed whether it needs injectors or not.

Any tips or thoughts from experience?
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm guessing you have a vcg leak and it is getting in your plug wells, and your plugs are fouling causing the misfire. Same thing happened to me awhile back.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo2333 View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2008 135i.

Earlier this year in July, I replaced the spark plugs and noticed (I don't perfectly recall) fuel or oil on the 2 spark plugs in cylinder 1 and 2.

No major drivability issues but sometimes I noticed I would get a limp mode when in a high gear but at a low RPM. (Not under WOT tho and only happened once in a blue moon)

I did notice I had to add a quart of oil after roughly 5,000 kms of driving (all highway)

Fast forward to October,

The car ran perfectly fine with no CEL, no RPM issues. I recently parked it to store for the winter and after a week of being parked, I started the car to notice the RPMs fluctuating A LOT and to also realize the CEL was on. Noticeably when the RPMs were fluctuating, randomly a big cloud of white smoke came from the exhaust for about 10 seconds before completely going away and leaving minor white trails coming out of the exhaust.

I scanned the codes to find it's a Cylinder 1 and 2 misfire.

Reasons leave me to believe it could be injectors if it was fuel on the plugs, also could be the valve cover gasket if it was oil on the plugs. Valve cover would also make me lose oil.

Guess I should start with inspecting the plugs again since I just replaced them, swap coils to see if the misfires follow the coils and worst case, take it to get professionally diagnosed whether it needs injectors or not.

Any tips or thoughts from experience?
Thanks guys
Did you notice oil on the tips of the plugs or in the spark plug tubes?

If the oil is in both of those plugs it's possible the gasket for cylinder 1+2 has failed.

If it was just on the tip of the spark plug then it's possible that it was misfiring or not firing properly and caused the oil / fuel to cake on to it leaving the black soot on it.

When did you last change your plugs and coils before this?

I know for the 135 the change interval for coils is a lot sooner than N52 especially when tuned, and if you wait too long the gap gets bigger on the plugs making the coils have to work harder. It's possible they both failed but seems unlikely at the same time.

Was your battery connected to a charger when you put the car in storage?
Appreciate 0