BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

BolsterBoost Seat Add-On

So I've done a bunch of autocross and now a track weekend with my 128i and the seats are really starting to bother me. I don't have the sport seats but even those could probably use a little more support. You're supposed to be light on the wheel but at the end of an autocross day or track weekend my knees are bruised from bracing myself and I can't hold the wheel as light as I'd like.

At autocross, I do the belt lock and move seat forward trick. I did not feel safe doing that on the track since it defeats the design of the restraint system that works together with the airbags. So I was all over the place in my car.

Anyway, did some searching today and I found this guy who has made the solution. It's expensive for what it is at $139. If we can get enough interest, maybe we can coordinate a group buy to get a 15-25% discount? That helps this guy and us.

I think he really needs some help marketing this thing anyway as I've never heard of it. I respect an individual for actually coming through on something they saw some value in. I definitely have thought of this type of device before, but wasn't willing to spend time on it.

https://bit.ly/3kqNeIU

EDIT: Accidentally posted without a poll for interest...

Post below if you'd be interested and I'll contact the guy to see.
      10-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Looks like an interesting idea/solution. I'd be curious how it might someone on the huskier side....

Also, wonder if he doesn't market it much in case it might break some NHTSA rules, or something similar to that.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-for-driving#
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Yeah that's the same guy. I believe he's made some deliveries already.
      11-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
At autocross, I do the belt lock and move seat forward trick. I did not feel safe doing that on the track since it defeats the design of the restraint system that works together with the airbags. So I was all over the place in my car...

https://bit.ly/3kqNeIU

EDIT: Accidentally posted without a poll for interest...

Post below if you'd be interested and I'll contact the guy to see.
I do that too, have been doing it for years on the track and autocross, and have not heard anyone discuss how it may defeat the design of the airbags. What is your logic?
      11-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
I do that too, have been doing it for years on the track and autocross, and have not heard anyone discuss how it may defeat the design of the airbags. What is your logic?
The restraint system is designed to have a bit of give to it, not lock immediately. I'm not entirely sure if it's actually less safe or not, but I know it's not more safe.

You can argue that the seatbelt pretensioners are designed to tension you into the seat in a crash so locking it is just getting ahead of those, but IDK. I'll take a little discomfort over the unknown.
      11-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
The restraint system is designed to have a bit of give to it, not lock immediately. I'm not entirely sure if it's actually less safe or not, but I know it's not more safe.

You can argue that the seatbelt pretensioners are designed to tension you into the seat in a crash so locking it is just getting ahead of those, but IDK. I'll take a little discomfort over the unknown.
that doesnt make sense. The seatbelts have explosive canisters attached to them to pull you back into the seat. Tightening them a bit before the explosions go off shouldnt make a difference. Think about how much brute force we are putting on the seatbelts when we slide the seat forward compared to the real brute force of the explosion pulling say a 180lb body being flung forward by the force of the impact that it has to pull back. I dont think the little bit of extra tension we put on the seatbelts for playtime will make a difference in an accident.
      11-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Quote:

that doesnt make sense. The seatbelts have explosive canisters attached to them to pull you back into the seat. Tightening them a bit before the explosions go off shouldnt make a difference. Think about how much brute force we are putting on the seatbelts when we slide the seat forward compared to the real brute force of the explosion pulling say a 180lb body being flung forward by the force of the impact that it has to pull back. I dont think the little bit of extra tension we put on the seatbelts for playtime will make a difference in an accident.
Yeah I mentioned the pretensioner. The problem may be that, combined with the belt lock trick, the pretensioner ends up tensioning the belt too much. That's what I'm concerned about.

When you wear a harness, you should be wearing a HANS device whether your car has an airbag or not since you're restrained so tightly you can easily snap your neck in a wreck. I think locking the belt may have a similar effect.

I don't think you can dismiss the concern so casually. The fact is we don't really know how it affects things. I'm choosing to be more conservative here.

You're not hurting anyone else by choosing to be less conservative so make whatever choice you want. The consequences are completely limited to yourself. So it's very much a personal choice.