BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

135i Review by David Booth - Canwest News

1 Series does no damage to BMW's image
They're more 2002 than 318ti
David Booth CanWest News Service

Published in the Vancouver Province Newspaper
Friday, November 02, 2007

GOTLAND, Sweden -- The last time BMW tried this "baby Bimmer" thing, it was a massive cock-up.
The 318ti hatchback, meant to be inexpensive, only succeeded in being cheap.
Powered by a somnolent little four-cylinder engine and having a dated-even-for-the-time rear suspension, the ti was neither as quick nor as sure-footed a sporty hatch as we expected from the mainstream company that literally defined handling.
That BMW was able to retain its premium-brand image in the face of such a glaring example of hubris is either testimony to the loyalty of its fans or the kind of amnesia Jaguar wishes would let people forget the X-Type.
The lesson was not lost on our Teutonic friends. For one thing, when the latest baby Bimmer -- the 1 Series -- comes to our shores, it won't be the perceived-as-cheaper hatchback version that's been available in Europe since 2004 but the newer, perceived-as-premium coupe variant.
As well, though other, lesser engines are available, the Canadian 1 Series Coupe will be available only in 128i and 135i guises. Ironically, the larger 3 Series, upon which the 1 Series is based, is available in a less powerful "23" format.
What this means is that, although it is smaller (by 228 millimetres overall and 100 mm in wheelbase) and less expensive than the 3 Series, BMW Canada is being careful to position its new 1 as a premium compact and not all that eager to do battle with the likes of Volkswagen's Golf and Honda's Civic.
In fact, what BMW is really hoping is that the new 135i makes you forget all about the 318ti, reminding you instead of the most iconic of BMWs, the 2002.
If the 135i's performance around Sweden's Gotland Ring race track is any indication, the new 1 is indeed more 2002 than 318 -- if the Dynamic Traction Control is switched off, that is.
BMW's traction nanny cuts in far earlier than the superb chassis needs, actually causing the 135i to flounder about a little like a Toyota Camry -- OK, not quite like a softly suspended Camry, but it definitely cuts in early enough to prevent any throttle steering. Turn it off, however, and all that legendary BMW handling prowess turns the 135i into a miniature road rocket.
Even Gotland's manifold decreasing-radius high-speed turns failed to disorient the 135i. The front end sticks like glue, you can hang the rear tires out a little to get the 135i to turn quicker and, even when they do start sliding, it's done in such an effortless, controlled manner that you'd swear you could do it all day and still not put a wheel wrong.
Of course, incredible handling is what we've come to expect from BMW. And the lucky few who have managed to snag a Bimmer powered by the new twin-turbocharged variant of its iconic 3.0-litre engine know that its claimed 300 horsepower massively underrates its performance. In the 135i, which weighs 60 kilograms less than the 335i, the twin turbos shine. BMW claims a 5.3-second zero-to-100-km/h time, 0.3 seconds ahead of the 335i.
The undercurrent of all this is the 135i's remarkable resemblance to the 335i. A little lighter, a little quicker, but most of the chassis, suspension and engine is identical to its larger sibling.
So what exactly is the difference between a 135i and a 335i coupe? Well, for one thing, less length translates into seriously compromised rear-seat accommodations. The 335i coupe is hardly spacious back there but, by comparison, is a stretch limo. The luggage capacity, too, has been reduced, by 2.1 cubic feet.
And the base 135i makes do with such compromises as cloth seating and door trim, while the 335i gets leather as standard. Leather seating is available on the 1 Series and, though some of the interior dashboard pieces are new, the entire arrangement -- including the audio system, air conditioning controls and gauge set -- are unmistakably BMW.
What the 135i will also do is seriously undercut the 335i's $51,600 price, but Canadian figures won't be official until later this year.

© The Vancouver Province 2007
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Crashspeeder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 TiAg M3

amazing review. that's all i can say.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
This review seems to suggest that those who have complained about the 135i's propensity to understeer probably didn't turn off the electronic nannies.:iono:

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
This review seems to suggest that those who have complained about the 135i's propensity to understeer probably didn't turn off the electronic nannies.:iono:

I can't wait to get my hands on this car...and try for myself
      11-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashspeeder View Post
amazing review. that's all i can say.
that's a useless comment. why bother?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
That's what I was thinking as I read it, but after doing a reality check, I doubt it.
Appreciate 0