BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i Coupe 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
09 135 HiFi non navigation questions

Ok so I have a 09 135 Hifi system with the 8 speakers personally I think it sounds like shit. I would prefer keeping it as close to stock as I can. So I have a few questions. First off would the logic 7 amp plug and play into my system with some coding? Reason I ask is I would feel I would benefit greatly from the EQ functions that if offers? Also I am looking to upgrade my speakers and not chop everything to hell in doing so I know bavaudio makes some upgrades for the stock system any other options? I am planning on keeping the stock head unit for the stock look I just want to upgrade everything behind it. So any advice in this area will help thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Logic 7 is not plug and play, it's quite an intensive retrofit but it is possible - i did it in my car and even made a DIY http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175122

Your easiest option is to just upgrade the amp and worry about the speakers later - many people have reported that just upgrading the amp is a significant upgrade in itself.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

this might be a good option too http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173457
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf
I saw that but damn is the price worth it lol?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun135i View Post
You'll have to read the reviews and decide for yourself. You did say you were looking for EQ functions. Also keep in mind it's 8 channels and will handle a lot of speaker configuration options.

You didn't mention if you'll do the work or have someone else, and if you DIY how experienced you are. An upgrade that is simple to install goes a long ways for some people, and of course often adds to the cost of the parts as well.

You can look around here or the internet for MusicarNW as well, see some of the kits they offer for DIY, if you want to comparison shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet
Quote:
You'll have to read the reviews and decide for yourself. You did say you were looking for EQ functions. Also keep in mind it's 8 channels and will handle a lot of speaker configuration options.

You didn't mention if you'll do the work or have someone else, and if you DIY how experienced you are. An upgrade that is simple to install goes a long ways for some people, and of course often adds to the cost of the parts as well.

You can look around here or the internet for MusicarNW as well, see some of the kits they offer for DIY, if you want to comparison shop.
Have do you have that amp setup? If so let me know what you think? I will also check around but so far that's the only one that pops up for amp that seems worth it I suppose? Also would the EQ functions be controlled from the head unit? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Jsargevt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

I think that there are a couple of options for you in this space.

If you go with the bimmertech amp, that has an EQ but it needs a computer to apply the EQ you want and then you set it on the device. I don't think that there is a way to change the EQ from the head unit or without a computer (or memory card upload).

You have a couple of options:
MusicarNW has a package which replaces the front speakers & tweeters, the underseat mid-ranges and the amp. They also have a package to replace the rear speakers, but it seems that the cost and hassle to replace those isn't worth it, but that is for you to decide. Give them a ping with the last 7 of your VIN and they'll tell you what they can do for you.

If you have a hardtop, Musicar also has an enclosure for a sub in the rear, I believe.

You can also get a bimmertech amp & bavaudio speakers - they have front speakers & tweeters and are releasing an under-seat midrange sometime this fall.

There are also speaker sets from Focal and I think pioneer that you can use as well.

I am in the same position as you - I want to upgrade the sound system but don't want to spend thousands of dollars. I have an order in for the bimmertech amp based on some conversations I have had with people who have gone different ways (musicarNW, bimmertech and bavaudio). It seems that the DSP in the amp is pretty impressive and can likely get me to where I want to be in the price range I'm looking at. Only time will tell if this was good decision or not. I suspect that this will be more than adequate for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsargevt
I think that there are a couple of options for you in this space.

If you go with the bimmertech amp, that has an EQ but it needs a computer to apply the EQ you want and then you set it on the device. I don't think that there is a way to change the EQ from the head unit or without a computer (or memory card upload).

You have a couple of options:
MusicarNW has a package which replaces the front speakers & tweeters, the underseat mid-ranges and the amp. They also have a package to replace the rear speakers, but it seems that the cost and hassle to replace those isn't worth it, but that is for you to decide. Give them a ping with the last 7 of your VIN and they'll tell you what they can do for you.

If you have a hardtop, Musicar also has an enclosure for a sub in the rear, I believe.

You can also get a bimmertech amp & bavaudio speakers - they have front speakers & tweeters and are releasing an under-seat midrange sometime this fall.

There are also speaker sets from Focal and I think pioneer that you can use as well.

I am in the same position as you - I want to upgrade the sound system but don't want to spend thousands of dollars. I have an order in for the bimmertech amp based on some conversations I have had with people who have gone different ways (musicarNW, bimmertech and bavaudio). It seems that the DSP in the amp is pretty impressive and can likely get me to where I want to be in the price range I'm looking at. Only time will tell if this was good decision or not. I suspect that this will be more than adequate for my needs.
Amazing thank you very much for the info! If you have any other ideas or complete any of these let me know! Till then I will research some more! Thanks again in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Have do you have that amp setup?
I have a Logic 7 (Harmon Kardon) setup, very different animal. I thought about that amp but it was too much work. My case was a lot different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsargevt View Post
True, and it's awesome in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Jsargevt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
True, and it's awesome in my opinion.
From the little i have seen it looks fantastic (very OEM) and it transforms the car into quite the audio setup.

Sadly with a convertible, no sub enclosure available and I don't that the funds or desire to install it anyway.
Appreciate 0