BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
09 Idrive Radio Issues/Concerns

Just curious if others are having the same issue as I am with the new 09 I-Drive.

I routinely cycle between my ipod (or HD music) and the radio using the steering control button. When I click back onto radio, the IDrive system always puts me into manual mode, rather than presets. Seems like a safety issue as I shouldn't have to manipulate and look at the system while I'm driving.

Also, along the same vein, not sure if some of you are used to the old IDrive. But the radio in our 530 allows me to use the idrive controller to move left to right across channels (rather than the new 09 way which doesn't seem as intuitive) without having to push in on the controller for each station. That way (you guessed it), I don't need to look at the screen. I just flip the channels with my right hand while keeping my eyes on the road. I understand some use the steering controls, but for me..using my right hand to turn the knob comes a lot more naturally. Dunno, maybe it's just me.

I guess I'm just surprised that a company at safety conscious as BMW would make this type of system that requires me to fiddle while driving. I understand we all have free will, yada yada yada. I'm not suggesting taking away the ability (like Toyota). I just expected the engineering of it to be focused on making it as easy as possible to allow the driver to maintain their eyes on the road.

End Rant
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
I routinely cycle between my ipod (or HD music) and the radio using the steering control button. When I click back onto radio, the IDrive system always puts me into manual mode, rather than presets. Seems like a safety issue as I shouldn't have to manipulate and look at the system while I'm driving.
The way I solved this is to set one of my preset buttons to display the entire list of preset radio stations.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Great Idea! I'll give that a shot. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Norcal135
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 BSM/CR, 3 pedals
Location: Marin County, CA - north of the Golden Gate, left of everywhere

I have noticed this same issue, and it does create a needless extra step and distraction - has anyone figured out how to force the radio key to take you straight back to your presets screen?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal135 View Post
I have noticed this same issue, and it does create a needless extra step and distraction - has anyone figured out how to force the radio key to take you straight back to your presets screen?
I'd be interested in that also.
Appreciate 0