BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Oil change before winter storage?

My car is going into a 6 month long hibernation this week.
It will be waiting for spring in a heated garage with a battery tender hooked up.
The tank is full, tire pressure is correct... last oil change was done last April, ~6,000kms ago.
Should I change the oil now (the display shows service due in 5000kms) or wait until I put it back on the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
My car is going into a 6 month long hibernation this week.
It will be waiting for spring in a heated garage with a battery tender hooked up.
The tank is full, tire pressure is correct... last oil change was done last April, ~6,000kms ago.
Should I change the oil now (the display shows service due in 5000kms) or wait until I put it back on the road?
I'd go ahead and just change it now, that way in the spring you're all set to go!

Honestly it will not make any difference....there are people that will say differently but with a modern motor and being in a heated garage, as long as you do not start it to "warm it up" and just leave it, there will be no repercussions either way really.

Make sure to add Stabil to the fuel and throw a couple dryer sheets in the engine bay and interior for good measure to keep rodents out!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Agree with the above, no starts and fuel stabilizer. Strongly feel that car should go into storage with clean oil and that's what I do regardless of mileage. Acids and contaminants are created and held in the oil and you do not want that sitting in your engine for 6 months. This is cheap insurance. Come spring, there's nothing to do but get in and drive it. Oh, maybe bump your tire pressures by about 10 lbs. to prevent flat spots.
Appreciate 0