BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
bigmillz
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Can you replace just the front OFH gasket?

2012 with an N55, the gasket is leaking again (dealer I got the car from replaced it twice already). It's seeping oil out of the top of the housing, right along the oil filter cover. I've checked and it's not from the oil filter cap o-ring.

Wondering if I can skip the whole intake manifold removal job and just take the cooler side of the OFH off, and replace the affected gasket, top coolant off, and change the oil.

Also waiting to hear back from the dealer again to see if they'd be willing to at least do it for just the cost of parts (as they've screwed up the labor twice already). This would be the 3rd replacement within about 5k miles.

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmillz View Post
2012 with an N55, the gasket is leaking again (dealer I got the car from replaced it twice already). It's seeping oil out of the top of the housing, right along the oil filter cover. I've checked and it's not from the oil filter cap o-ring.

Wondering if I can skip the whole intake manifold removal job and just take the cooler side of the OFH off, and replace the affected gasket, top coolant off, and change the oil.

Also waiting to hear back from the dealer again to see if they'd be willing to at least do it for just the cost of parts (as they've screwed up the labor twice already). This would be the 3rd replacement within about 5k miles.

Thanks for any input!
The thermostat housing can easily be removed from the oil filter housing. It's a much easier job. It is a completely separate gasket from the OFHG.

Both gaskets are prone to failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmillz View Post

Thanks for any input!
If you paid for it and it is within two years it should be warrantied
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
bigmillz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
The thermostat housing can easily be removed from the oil filter housing. It's a much easier job. It is a completely separate gasket from the OFHG.

Both gaskets are prone to failure.
Thanks man! Glad it's a normal thing to do. If the dealer won't handle it, then I'll just take care of it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
bigmillz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
If you paid for it and it is within two years it should be warrantied
That's what I've heard...didn't pay for the repair, but it was part of the "deal" in buying the car from them (they'd fix the leak). Hopefully they'll stand behind their work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Twice? Incompetence or could there be a distorted mating face? (rare, except if reassembled improperly
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

When changing that front gasket, be sure to replace the two O rings leading to the oil cooler...and yes try doing only that front gasket its a much faster job and see if that solves the leak issue...you may get lucky...I'd do it myself if they have to do it three times...they are not mechanics.
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0