BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
Maxevaaans
Rep
Drives: 120i M Sport

What coilovers for my E82?

So I may be looking for the best of both worlds here but I thought id test my luck!

So im looking for a coilover that is stiff enough that it wont come down on my wheels and mess up my arches however I also want a coilover that is capable of going nice and low, now heres the game changer, I need the coilovers to be nice and affordable!

So game on!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
fknlewis
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 M Sport 120d

Also looking for this too, just commenting to keep track of this! I've been looking at the KW suspension but not sure how they are, only been looking at them because if later on you want to, you can retrofit the hydraulics to them
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Maxevaaans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknlewis View Post
Also looking for this too, just commenting to keep track of this! I've been looking at the KW suspension but not sure how they are, only been looking at them because if later on you want to, you can retrofit the hydraulics to them
Yeah I have seen them before, I think im looking for something similar to the BC Racing as they have adjustable damping.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

BC racing. No question.
      10-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
fknlewis
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 M Sport 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxevaaans View Post
Yeah I have seen them before, I think im looking for something similar to the BC Racing as they have adjustable damping.
Heard good reviews about BC too, every time I google them I just find information and no sell price
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Maxevaaans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
BC racing. No question.
Heard a lot of good feedback on the BC racing. every time I look I can only find ones for E81 and E87's.

Plus they are on the 'hole in my wallet' side.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Heard a lot of good feedback on the BC racing. every time I look I can only find ones for E81 and E87's.

Plus they are on the 'hole in my wallet' side.
Those are on the cheap side of coilovers, plus they include camber plates.

Look at ST coilovers, they aren't much cheaper, but I wouldn't cheap out on something as important as suspension.

If you just want the lowered look, you might be better of with some H&R super sport springs.
      10-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

BC and all associated brands are very meh for performance.. They tend to just make the car "feel" stiff but barely offer any performance gains. I had Megan Racing Coilovers and they were fine for aesthetics and daily duties, but they never really improved the performance aspect of the car. The good thing is they often offer a lot of features for the price, adjustable damping, height, camber plates and all that stuff that we probably don't touch (lol), but it's good to have the options.

I'm currently on Bilstein B14 coilovers, a much, much better suspension than my previous coilovers and a friend's 135i on BC's. They are quite pricey though and you only have height adjustment, though the damping is very well suited for daily driving and great for spirited driving / track. After being on the Bilsteins I doubt I will go back to any budget branded coilover.. The difference is quite significant. In the end, you get what you pay for - and it's also what you're after.

If you're not willing to pay for a decent set of coilovers, it's probably better to get a quality set of lowering springs like H&R or Eibach. Eibach's ride like standard m sport, the H&R's are a little bit stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Maxevaaans
Rep

Damn! Them megans are a steal if i lived in the states! Im looking at paying £750 for coilovers and all i really want is to get low and have adjustable damping.

Not really a fan of spring to be honest, and omg bilstien b14!! The creme de la creme
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Damn! Them megans are a steal if i lived in the states! Im looking at paying £750 for coilovers and all i really want is to get low and have adjustable damping.

Not really a fan of spring to be honest, and omg bilstien b14!! The creme de la creme
If you just want to get low, get ST X coils. Hard to get a good street setup for less from what I've seen. If you want adjustable damping, they make the XTA which would do the job fine.
      10-09-2015, 04:12 AM   #11
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

In that case ST, Megan or BC would be totally fine for you. They do the job
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe DCT

Garage List
Ohlins with Swift Spec-R springs. HP Autosport can get together a nice package for you
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.ferguson View Post
Ohlins with Swift Spec-R springs. HP Autosport can get together a nice package for you
SpecR springs were designed for use with the stock design dampers, not as a coilover.
      10-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #14
Trackm3
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Euro

I sell a fair few STX-TA kits to E46 M3 guys, great feedback on road and track, My main reason for pushing these over BC, D2 etc is the Support, and these can be serviced in the UK if required, as im sure you guys are aware these are made by KW.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Tworl28
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
SpecR springs were designed for use with the stock design dampers, not as a coilover.
Any reviews on these? Price looks almost as nice as the car sitting on them.
Im in the same boat as maxevaaans.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #16
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
So I may be looking for the best of both worlds here but I thought id test my luck!

So im looking for a coilover that is stiff enough that it wont come down on my wheels and mess up my arches however I also want a coilover that is capable of going nice and low, now heres the game changer, I need the coilovers to be nice and affordable!

So game on!
If your budget is less than 1k, you're not gonna have many, if any good options. BC/Megan have quality control issues. Some kits are ok, some are trash. BC has their super low kit, but the springs will have to be upgraded to much stiffer springs than what they come with. Then you'll have dampner isssues.

Suspension is never the thing to cheap out on. IT, and your brakes are extremely important.

My recommendation; buy the ST-XTA coilovers. They go more than low enough and the swift spring upgrade is easy but must be purchased seperatly. You'll need the camber plates the XTA's come with and ///M lower control arms to get more than-3.0* of camber. The whole thing will run you close to $2500 but you will have a solid, quality suspension system that fits all of your needs.
      11-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworl28 View Post
Any reviews on these? Price looks almost as nice as the car sitting on them.
Im in the same boat as maxevaaans.
I have quite liked the SpecRs, but am changing to a coil setup soon. Gotta be honest, most of the feel in a shock setup is the damper. Spec R springs lower just the perfect amount though, and the rates balance the car nicely. Can't go wrong with SpecR + Koni/Bilstein combo if your budget is under $1000.
      11-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #18
cammula
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine Whit 135i Coupe

I have the ST's they're honestly not great the non-adjustable dampening is a killer. I'm going to switch over to BC's soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
Joe_435i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammula View Post
I have the ST's they're honestly not great the non-adjustable dampening is a killer. I'm going to switch over to BC's soon.
Yeah, good choice. I've had my BC's for a couple months now and for the price you can't beat it. The only complaint I have if I had to choose one, would be noise on rough roads. It's not crazy loud or anything but it does exist, especially, if you run your setup more on the stiff side
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #20
HachiNi
my other car is a hachiroku
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW

I have H&R..
      12-13-2015, 05:10 AM   #21
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
BC and all associated brands are very meh for performance.. They tend to just make the car "feel" stiff but barely offer any performance gains. I had Megan Racing Coilovers and they were fine for aesthetics and daily duties, but they never really improved the performance aspect of the car. The good thing is they often offer a lot of features for the price, adjustable damping, height, camber plates and all that stuff that we probably don't touch (lol), but it's good to have the options.

I'm currently on Bilstein B14 coilovers, a much, much better suspension than my previous coilovers and a friend's 135i on BC's. They are quite pricey though and you only have height adjustment, though the damping is very well suited for daily driving and great for spirited driving / track. After being on the Bilsteins I doubt I will go back to any budget branded coilover.. The difference is quite significant. In the end, you get what you pay for - and it's also what you're after.

If you're not willing to pay for a decent set of coilovers, it's probably better to get a quality set of lowering springs like H&R or Eibach. Eibach's ride like standard m sport, the H&R's are a little bit stiffer.

I'm on B14, I wouldn't touch BC. For that money- ST (KW) or Bilstein B14.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Bilstein B16s here...I love it!
Appreciate 0