BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Money2536's Valencia Orange E82 1M Journal

I have done quite a few Journals on previous cars. In fact, my very first one was in 2014 chronicling the ownership of my first Porsche: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8010...s-journal.html

I started that journal as an outlet for my medically diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder of which I suffer daily. Prior to starting that almost daily update of the ongoings in my garage, I quickly discovered a sort of brotherhood of other people that were passionate like I was.

Fast forward 5 years later and I’ve left my career/practice in wealth management behind to exclusively chase passion in what has now become something bigger than I could have ever envisioned. In fact, it has become so significant to me that I decided to audaciously buy a 1M as a late year 2018 tax write-off and quickly decided to do a “Giveaway” of the car.

I have always wanted to experience a 1M since its first discussion on this forum back in 2010/11. I fancy myself an M3 guy, so I never intended to get one, but I certainly would have loved to experience one for an extended period of time. Just before Christmas last year, I went to YouTube personality AdamLZ’s open house and there was a VO 1M sitting there in the line up of BMWs. I’ve had a long-time relationship with the shop PSI in Orlando that shares a space with Adam. My friend Sean that owns PSI saw me eyeballing the car and politely mentioned that the car was for sale.

It took about 2 milliseconds for the gears to start turning. I’ve been thinking a lot about getting a third car outside of my E92 M3 and GT3 RS that are longer-term staples for me. I intended to get cars that are interesting to me that maybe I don’t quite understand or want to own for longer than a year. I thought, “What better car to start with than a 1M.” So…I bought it a few days later.

The plan was to just buy the car, leave it as is other than detail it, drive and enjoy it, then sell early in 2019 in favor of the next car I’d like to try. Well, that lasted almost as long as it took me to decide to buy it. One of my favorite things about BMWs, specially M cars, is the sheer amount of amazing aftermarket stuff you can pursue for them. I immediately started compiling a list of what I wanted for the car.

That is what I intend to share here in this series of forum posts. Over the next month or so, I’m going to take you through the rather short, but extremely compact transformation of my VO 1M from what it was to what I call OG Spec. I eventually decided to give this car away rather than sell it and will share the numbers and what that was like.

Taking Delivery:
I quickly figured out after making an Instagram post asking if I should buy the car that I knew the guy that owned it. I called him that Monday. He offered me the car as is with all the modifications on it for $55,000 or stock for $45,000. I took it as is since I intended to “leave it alone” and not do much to it. This is what the car looked like when I got it.

I took my GT3 RS that day and almost drove the 1M home instead.

Stats at my Delivery:

Approximately 44,000 Miles
BMW Performance Seats w/ Custom Orange Stitching
RSV 19” S1 Series Wheels RSF1 - Step Lip w/ UL ‘dimple’ Accents: Fitment for 265 Front/ 295 Rear PSS Tires
Brushed Candy Matte Black Center
Brushed Candy Gloss Black Outer Lip
Brushed Candy Gloss Black Inner Lip
BMW Logo Engraved Center Cap
Hardware in Dubai Gold
Registry Engraved M Logo
Extra Set of APEX PS-7 Wheels w/ Toyo R888 in 255/275-30 Sizes
18x9.5ET22
18x10.5ET22
AST 5100 Coilovers
Valencia Orange Painted Engine Cover
Custom Cobb Tune
Evolution Race Works Charge Pipe and HKS Blow-off Valve
Evolution Race Works Catless Down Pipes
Mad Dad Resonated Catless Mid-pipe
Akrapovic Titanium Valved Rear Section w/ Titanium Tips
aFe Intake w/ VO Painted Cover
Slek CSL Style Carbon Trunk
Black Painted Painted Grills and Gills
Revo Sport Rear Diffuser and Undertray
BMW Performance Rubber Floor Mats

Last edited by Money2536; 09-26-2019 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 3
JP-1M171.00
1mGator143.50
Tornado1M1203.00
      09-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Reinstalling the OEM Trunk

The very first thing I felt the need to do was to put the original trunk back on the car. The trunk that was on the car was a CSL Style Slek. The fit was not so great, but the paint on it was not bad. It had that IND style fade into the carbon peak at the top of the lip, but it just wasn't my style.

I'm a sucker for the OE trunk with a simple BMW Performance lip spoiler. That meant that I needed to first take the Slek off, re-route the wiring, and get a new emblem and center tail light to make it fresh and return to "like new" quality.

This is the removal of the Slek trunk and reinstall of OEM BMW:

Parts Needed to Repair Trunk:

All from Get BMW Parts: https://www.getbmwparts.com/

New Trunk Emblem From ECS Tuning: www.ecstuning.com

Then I needed to remove the OE lip spoiler and polish:

Products Used:

Stren 10lb. Test Fishing Line
3M Molding Tape 1/4"
3M Molding Tape 1/2"
CarPro TarX
Polishing Equipment

OG Plate Frame in Black

Last edited by Money2536; 09-15-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1203.00
      09-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Adding OEM BMW GTS Wheels

I've been slacking on the Journal. I had to get my sponsorship for the forum in order, so I don't get this deleted as I'll be sharing specific products in future posts.

The next addition to the car was to change the wheels. When Alan sold me the car it had RSV S1 in 19s. These are the specs of the wheels. They were aggressive and the car was pretty low, but they fit pretty well. There was a rub in the right rear, but I think that could have been fixed with alignment.

They had 265/30-19 | 295/30-19 Michelin PSS on them. They were pretty shot, so the car didn't have much traction.

You can see from the corded tire that the alignment was off.

Last edited by Money2536; 10-03-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Reserved..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Matt, congrats on your 1M and thanks for starting this thread/sharing your story and information. Don't be discouraged by the low traffic here. There are not a lot of 1Ms out there, so this board doesn't the attention that say the f80 M3/f82 M4 BP board does. But the hardcore ///M guys appreciate your posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Matt, congrats on your 1M and thanks for starting this thread/sharing your story and information. Don't be discouraged by the low traffic here. There are not a lot of 1Ms out there, so this board doesn't the attention that say the f80 M3/f82 M4 BP board does. But the hardcore ///M guys appreciate your posts.
Most owners are on the FB 1M Owners Society not here...
      09-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Yes, it's a small community. I watched all your videos. I also loved the M3s but ironically I agonized in 2011 between a e90 M3 and 1M...it was brutal. Went 1M... Sold it a bit later then went back on the market..looked at M3s, M235, M2, etc.. went back and got a used 1M again. Love your M3 and maybe one day I can afford both. I still look at M3s but so hard to find a clean, unmodified manual e90 without the NAV and idrive.

Thanks for all the videos, they were really well done and I had no idea you were on here. I learned a lot..... no Dinan intake for me now : )

best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, it's a small community. I watched all your videos. I also loved the M3s but ironically I agonized in 2011 between a e90 M3 and 1M...it was brutal. Went 1M... Sold it a bit later then went back on the market..looked at M3s, M235, M2, etc.. went back and got a used 1M again. Love your M3 and maybe one day I can afford both. I still look at M3s but so hard to find a clean, unmodified manual e90 without the NAV and idrive.

Thanks for all the videos, they were really well done and I had no idea you were on here. I learned a lot..... no Dinan intake for me now : )

best wishes.
Great journey for sure.

Funny I did this exact thing, ended up with the 1M. Love it to bits, never stop looking at E92 M3’s, still love them also, can’t bring myself to buy one as it would likely sit there, but just love em. If I had an 8 car garage I’d absolutely buy one and just look at it...
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      09-18-2019, 02:08 AM   #9
ts0ulc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,X5E, 1M

I’ve watched your videos. Nice orange 1. Did the giveaway finish?
Appreciate 0