BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Possible E-Brake Squeak

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with the e-brake mechanism getting old and starting to squeak? When ever I use it I it seems to make noise, usually only in reverse which is odd, and then goes away right when I start driving. It is slightly embarrassing if I am backing out of a spot during the work day though.

Is there something I should be replacing to fix this?

Thanks,
Patrick
      09-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with the e-brake mechanism getting old and starting to squeak? When ever I use it I it seems to make noise, usually only in reverse which is odd, and then goes away right when I start driving. It is slightly embarrassing if I am backing out of a spot during the work day though.

Is there something I should be replacing to fix this?

Thanks,
Patrick
Yep - I have the exact issue. The way I can stop it is to let the car roll slowly back in neutral and then yank the brake to engage it without letting go of the button then putting the brake back down quickly (so it's a quick sharp engagement of the e-brake while slowly rolling back). This seems to "unstick" the brake and the squeaking stops.

I suspect the mechanism needs some lube/cleaning, my rear rotors are almost due for replacement and I will ask my mechanic to clean it up and see.
Appreciate 0