BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #23
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Had my 5" installed along with dci and vrsf charge pipe and tial bov. Switched to cobb map stage 1+ fmic. Local shop put my car back in dyno after they installed all this and my coupler on driver side where the discharge pipe meets the elbow keeps popping off. I hope they get it sorted out for me. Anyone have this problem also?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

I could see how that could be an issue.

When I did mine I wedged something above the charge pipe to hold it down (it would push up an inch or so on its own) when installing the 2 tbolt clamps on that side. The play in the charge pipe made the install difficult at first.

With the play removed from the charge pipe it was easier to adjust the hose and clamps from below.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Does the VRSF FMIC come with some instructions, as to exact cutting, etc? Can some one share the best DIY or bundled PDF file maybe (a la COBB FMIC)?

Thanks.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
Had my 5" installed along with dci and vrsf charge pipe and tial bov. Switched to cobb map stage 1+ fmic. Local shop put my car back in dyno after they installed all this and my coupler on driver side where the discharge pipe meets the elbow keeps popping off. I hope they get it sorted out for me. Anyone have this problem also?
yes.
Attached Images

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #27
m4xm1l10n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10 M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
yes.
Wtf what happened here ?
There isn't really a wait to fuk up the install, I did mine nice an tight and nothing ever popped out .
Sorry to see that
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #28
m4xm1l10n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10 M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Does the VRSF FMIC come with some instructions, as to exact cutting, etc? Can some one share the best DIY or bundled PDF file maybe (a la COBB FMIC)?

Thanks.
Best DIY is sticking your head under there and you'll see what to cut off
Piece of cake really.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

Quote:
yes.
Ouch, looks like the skid plate did a number on that IC while running over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
Ouch, looks like the skid plate did a number on that IC while running over it.
I think that is actually the differential.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
sour97
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
yes.
OUCH THAT HURT
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #32
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

elbow pops out

hello guys, and sorry for reviving an old thread.

My connection that goes from the turbo to the passenger side of the intercooler keeps popping out. in your pictures I see there is a metal tube in between the intercooler, and the turbo outlet pipe. i don't have this... from the intercooler, a plastic elbow connects to the plastic tubing that comes from the turbo. this connection keeps popping out. any one had this problem?? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The N54 is a metal pipe coming from the turbos. The N55 (your 2011) has a plastic pipe.

You probably just didn't get the clamp on properly. The pipe coming from the turbos should have some sort of knurl or bump around it and you need to make sure the clamp isn't actually ON that bump or it won't seal. Or you may not have tightened it enough.

Last edited by Freon; 12-07-2014 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #34
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Ouch, man that must have been painful... WOW

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #35
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

keeps popping out!

Thanks for the answer guys.

The thing KEEPS POPPING out damn it.

attached is a picture of the plastic tube. the circled part I removed becasue I want told I had to for my set up. Am I wrong?

i dont know what to do. i retorqued al the clamps and if i pressed any harder, i would bend the plastic and the ring inside it. it just seems like the silicone coupler is too short. By the way, i have a stage 2 vargas turbo.

Name:  asdf.png
Views: 5877
Size:  612.8 KB

Name:  14-01-2015 11-01-05.jpg
Views: 4625
Size:  37.9 KB

Please helpppp
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #36
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

I got rid of the circled part also. I had to cut the metal band off to get the coupler to come off
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #37
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarzelatto View Post
You can see there is a small rolled edge on the pipe. If you can at least pull the silicone coupler over that by about 3/4" (or about 1" total including the rolled edge) you can get the clamp on the side of it. If you tighten that clamp there's no reason it should pop off.

You can also see a wider area on the hardpipe formed for the clamp to clamp to. Make sure the clamp is square to the surface (not crooked).

Make sure the hose is on straight. If it come on an angle it won't hold as well either.

See my post and picture above.
      02-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #38
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

keeps popping out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
You can see there is a small rolled edge on the pipe. If you can at least pull the silicone coupler over that by about 3/4" (or about 1" total including the rolled edge) you can get the clamp on the side of it. If you tighten that clamp there's no reason it should pop off.

You can also see a wider area on the hardpipe formed for the clamp to clamp to. Make sure the clamp is square to the surface (not crooked).

Make sure the hose is on straight. If it come on an angle it won't hold as well either.

See my post and picture above.
thanks for your answer man. i did it this way the day you told me, but again last night it popped off. i upgraded the turbo to a vargas, and im thinking maybe the placement of the turbo is a bit farther then the OEM, so the silicone coupler that unites the pipe to the intercooler is too short. When I attach it the wa you say, 1 inch past that curve, there is barely any silicone left to attach it to the intercooler. i am thinking i wil need to make my own piping, and remove this plastic pipe from the turbo.

Is there any aftermarket tube for this part?

If I want to attach my own tube with a silicone coupler to the turbo, how should i hold it? the turbo outlet is really small and i dont think a coupler will get a good grip. this sucks balls, and i have a td this sunday...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #39
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

IAT RISING!

Also, being that this thread is for the intercooler review, please checkout my log. My IAT still rises, even with the meth and the intercooler. anyone have any ideas? or is this rise normal for my set up?

Name:  datazap-chart (5).png
Views: 4321
Size:  85.7 KB

Below is a datazap.

http://datazap.me/u/jbarzelatto/fmic...ata=1-4-5-6-16
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #40
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

IAT will slowly rise as the heat mass of the intercooler slows the system's climb towards equilibrium. A bar and plate intercooler has a lot of mass so that process takes longer. You can see in your logs it is tapering off around 160F. The more the intercooler heats up, the more total heat it can reject to ambient air. But when it is cool some of the heat just heats up the several kilograms of aluminum which make up the intercooler.

It's hard to say if that is bad or not without knowing the ambient temperature and the temperature of charge air coming out of the turbo. How hot is it in Chile? If it's 32C or higher and you are running ~14psi out of the poor little stock turbocharger maybe that's not too bad. That would be horrible for me in Indiana right now where it is about 0C!
      02-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #41
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

high iat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
IAT will slowly rise as the heat mass of the intercooler slows the system's climb towards equilibrium. A bar and plate intercooler has a lot of mass so that process takes longer. You can see in your logs it is tapering off around 160F. The more the intercooler heats up, the more total heat it can reject to ambient air. But when it is cool some of the heat just heats up the several kilograms of aluminum which make up the intercooler.

It's hard to say if that is bad or not without knowing the ambient temperature and the temperature of charge air coming out of the turbo. How hot is it in Chile? If it's 32C or higher and you are running ~14psi out of the poor little stock turbocharger maybe that's not too bad. That would be horrible for me in Indiana right now where it is about 0C!
thanks for your answer! well in chile its around 30 during the day but it cools down to about 20 or less. As far as my set up, im sorry i should have mentioned it. I have upgraded turbo vtt stage 2+ targeting around 21 psi. i have a 5" intercooler VRSF installed, and running meth on the CP. Terry tells me that my meth is not spraying, because if it was then the temperatures would not be this high. i have a TD this sunday and wanted to solved so I can drive safely.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #42
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
It's been a couple years since I owed my 335i which was FBO and made 400+whp. I recently got a 135i and within a month Im FBO again Things have changed since 2007/2008, mainly prices of parts have come down.

I recently purchased a VRSF 7" intercooler for my 135i. The purchase was quick and smooth, I had the intercooler shipped to my buddies house since thats where I planned to do the install. I opted for the free shipping and received it in 6 days (West coast). The intercooler was packaged really well, it was wrapped in bubble wrap, it had hard foam all around and then popcorn. The supplied hardware included quality t-bolt clamps, mounting brackets and thick hoses.

I've had experience with Helix intercooler back in 2008, I had Long tran aka LTBMW do the install but failed because the intercooler was not a good fit. Eventually after a few phone calls to Helix, they refunded me some money and I had to do a lot of trimming/modifications to make their intercooler fit. The Helix intercooler did work great once it was installed and helped me break 400whp.

The install on the VRSF intercooler is pretty straight forward. You need to trim off a few plastic pieces and the intercooler slips right in. I did not remove the bumper off my 135i, nor did I have to adjust/move the radiator fan.

After the install of the VRSF IC, I can say the engine has a deeper sound, the car pulls better than it did with stock IC but best and most important part of all, is that after numerous runs from a stop the car continues to pulls hard. I will get logs this week once the weather warms again. I took logs of the stock IC when the temp was in the 80s.

Comparing the VRSF IC to the Helix IC I had previously, going off memory, I can say both feel about the same throughout the power band and dealing with heat soak. I can say for a fact that the Helix IC did weigh more than the VRSF IC.

At the end of the day, I'm really happy with my purchase, I did PM VRSF to ask a few questions prior to purchase and received replies within a couple hours . I do not think you can find a better fitting and functional IC for a cheaper price than the VRSF IC. I without a doubt will make future purchases from them on their exhaust/charge pipe.

One thing I did not like is that the fins on the VRSF IC seem to bend easily.

Below are some pictures from the install.

Stock IC on top and VRSF IC on bottom

Fins and lower plastic bar removed

VRSF IC mounted

Fitment is nice and snug

Passenger side IC Hose

Driver side IC Hose
Man I really wish those pictures showed up because I don't know how this is going to get installed. Did yours come with 3 silicone couplings? Or 2 like mine did. I can sort of see how the cold side will come together but it doesn't look like there's enough room considering the bend radius of the lower charge pipe and the long straight coupler. Anyone have other pictures? I have the VRSF chargepipe as well. I think I figured out the orientation of each coupler but I still don't see how its going to fit. The lower chargepipe wont even come close to the upper one with the VRSF 45 degree elbow that was included with the charge pipe. I'm guessing the 90 degree goes right to the intercooler then to the lower charge pipe included with the IC. I can't see it coming together and I've found nothing helpful online showing how those connections are made.

Last edited by Skotcoop; 01-04-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #43
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The 3rd silicone sleeve is the one that comes with your chargepipe. So it would go ic to silicone boot to lower cp to 45 degree boot to cp.
Or if using oem clips, and oem lower cp, the bellows type boot connects to ic, then lower cp. Then 45 degree boot to cp.
I tried to post a pic but it wont let me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #44
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
The 3rd silicone sleeve is the one that comes with your chargepipe. So it would go ic to silicone boot to lower cp to 45 degree boot to cp.
Or if using oem clips, and oem lower cp, the bellows type boot connects to ic, then lower cp. Then 45 degree boot to cp.
I tried to post a pic but it wont let me.
I got it figured out. Some directions would have saved me some time and frustration but once I figured out the orientation and coupler location.
Appreciate 0