06-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #287
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcx_ View Post
I've put down a deposit for Macan Turbo... will replace ageing ML (bus) next year. Mrs likes the higher driving position and auto trans. If the pdk is like my 991 then this will be a great car.
Last week did a brief test drive of the Macan S and checked many in the dealer show room including 2 turbos. You and your wife will like it, PDK is really good (for this type of car).

Turbo should be more closer to 1M kind of rush but due to weight Macan S is not that quick; I would call it as fast as it should be, proper performance, not too much for a heavy and tall car which had noticeable body roll (why shouldn't?) so I wouldn't desire it more powerful and faster anyway. Brakes were impressive. I liked the steering over the ones in Boxster S and M235i I tested before. Throtttle response was admirable for a turbo and on par with 1M with M button pressed (while it was on sport as well).

Not a 'replacement' to 1M at all but could be the perfect garage companion or perfect solution for small families who can have only one car. Precisely why I will consider it seriously for my stay in Portugal and my wife would sure prefer it over M3 for a variety of reasons.

Liked its design too and inside the sensation of quality and ergonomy was without competition, amplified with that 918 Spyder style steering wheel.

It was curiously silent and when I mentioned this as a negative surprise (maybe only one I could say about that car) the dealer said it must be because of optional insulated/laminated windows the test car was equipped. I would avoid that option then and even consider the upcoming sports exhaust. Not much else is needed over a standard car, fixed suspensión was perfectly comfortable and doing the job as well.

I consider it as a segment killer and couldn't believe that an apples to apples comparo in German configurators of both brands ended up Macan S being the cheaper car vs new X4 35i; that BMW is deadborn, at least for anyone who has functioning eyes. First time I see a P car this 'reasonably' priced and equipped vs. its close or distant competition. Dealer said they are sold out till October.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-05-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #288
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I put a refundable deposit down on a Cayman GT-4 today. There is already a 5 deep list at my local dealer. We'll see what the final specs are... Turbo? Manual? Neutered? If they make the car we know they can it will be epic, the question is will they?
      06-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #289
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I put a refundable deposit down on a Cayman GT-4 today.
i am curious, but what kind of dealership accepts a refundable deposit on a car that has yet to be announced?? im assuming this is not in europe?
      06-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #290
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
i am curious, but what kind of dealership accepts a refundable deposit on a car that has yet to be announced?? im assuming this is not in europe?
Here in Australia, my stealership gladly accepts refundable deposits - although I am not certain if the funds are actually recoverable

GT4 sounds as tempting as a GT3 though
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #291
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
In California deposits of this type must be refundable by law- it's simply an interest free loan if you don't take the spot (or come to a deal). Now that they have started public testing I'm guessing ~ year before it's out, depending on when the GT3 RS hits the streets.

The GT3 list filled up very quickly around here, as did the 1M list.
      06-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #292
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In California deposits of this type must be refundable by law- it's simply an interest free loan if you don't take the spot (or come to a deal). Now that they have started public testing I'm guessing ~ year before it's out, depending on when the GT3 RS hits the streets.

interesting... so before the car is even out people will already have put down deposits? didnt know that...
      06-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #293
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
interesting... so before the car is even out people will already have put down deposits? didnt know that...
Precisely how I got the only 1M my dealership got, only I didn't even put down any money!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #294
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11
Quote:

Yes. That is how I was first on my dealers list for 1m. The day after the first teaser video came out on m-power called up the local dealer and they started a list. No deposit was required until 6 months later when it was officially announced for the US market.

@pete_vb I am also waiting for more detail on gt4 cayman. Drove the s liked it, but was hoping gts was going to be like the cayman r, but was disappoint. Hopefully this gt4 will be a beast.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #295
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11
Quote:

Yes. That is how I was first on my dealers list for 1m. The day after the first teaser video came out on m-power called up the local dealer and they started a list. No deposit was required until 6 months later when it was officially announced for the US market.

@pete_vb I am also waiting for more detail on gt4 cayman. Drove the s liked it, but was hoping gts was going to be like the cayman r, but was disappoint. Hopefully this gt4 will be a beast.
ill take delivery of the gts in 3 weeks.loved the s and despite the marginal power increase and the fact that you can basically option an s into a gts, the gts will imo be somewhat of a perfect car.

will turn the m into a track car and have the gts as a dd instead. looking forward to it.

ill post a little review and comparo once i drove the gts for a few miles...