BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

How do you mount your phone?

Iím looking for ďthe bestĒ ( I know that is a relative term ) iPhone mount for my í11 1. What have you been using, and would you recommend it?
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
45
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Southern Ontario

iTrader: (0)

This works for me since I don't use my CD player. Phone has to sit sideways though or else my hand hits it shifting to 3rd.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks. That’s a great alternative to a vent mount.
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
JimD's Avatar
302
Rep
3,484
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, SC

iTrader: (0)

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Koomus-Pro-CD...gateway&sr=8-4

It is also a CD slot mount. I put the metal plate low on the case of the iphone so I can use it vertically. I have a 5S.
__________________
128i Convertible, MT, Alpine White, Black Top, Taupe Leatherette, Walnut, Sport
Ordered 5/22/09, Completed 6/4/09, At Port 6/9/09, On the Georgia Highway 6/13/09, Ship Arrived Charleston 6/24/09 at 10pm, PCD 7/21/09
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
dtla1
Major
dtla1's Avatar
361
Rep
1,346
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (2)

Not mine, but this solution looks pretty slick. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1623676
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7900
Rep
10,134
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Holder-U...gateway&sr=8-3

I've used this for the last three years with my IPhone 6. Works great, and no problem hitting the gearshift.
__________________
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Yankee92vx
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I've had this Spiegel with the wireless charger and have been very happy with it. Although it does lose its suction strength if it's not cleaned regularly.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Gangplank
Colonel
Gangplank's Avatar
United_States
1242
Rep
2,664
Posts

Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sprt DCT - S
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I use this one. I put the phone up pretty high in the cradle and it holds snug. It mounts in the CD slot so depending on what year 1er you have this can be higher or lower (above the a/c controls like my 2011, or below it).

Koomus Pro CD Slot Car Mount Holder Cradle for All Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NYXETQ..._ZgIdDb4GHFAGD
__________________
2011 135i DCT | Sport pkg | PPK | Ohlins R&T swift sprigns | M3 front arms | Diff. brace | RSFB inserts.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Koomus-Pro-CD...gateway&sr=8-4

It is also a CD slot mount. I put the metal plate low on the case of the iphone so I can use it vertically. I have a 5S.
That looks like a nicer version than most of a CD mount
Thanks
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Not mine, but this solution looks pretty slick. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1623676
That solution is quite the commitment, but it looks like it will never fall off like suction cup mounts are prone to do.
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I use this one. I put the phone up pretty high in the cradle and it holds snug. It mounts in the CD slot so depending on what year 1er you have this can be higher or lower (above the a/c controls like my 2011, or below it).

Koomus Pro CD Slot Car Mount Holder Cradle for All Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NYXETQ..._ZgIdDb4GHFAGD
I also have a '11, but a 128 so it would sit above my climate controls
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
KevinR
Private
KevinR's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: '10 135i convertible
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
This is what I use in my wife's '10 135i convertible:

Kuda console mount:
http://www2.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_a...12-3-588.html#

http://www2.kudausa.com/mount_popup.php?artikel_id=1344

ProClip holder for iPhone 8 with case:
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/5...o-medium-cases
__________________
'10 BMW 135i convertible
'12 VW Jetta GLI
'05 MINI Cooper S
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #13
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
Ric in RVA's Avatar
United_States
577
Rep
784
Posts

Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Richmond VA

iTrader: (0)

What I did....3 one series ago....

I need to get a cupholder mount since I still have this piece I made....

Right now I am using a RAM suction windshield mount and the Ram X mount.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ight=ram+mount
__________________
Ric in RVA

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 10 Land Rover LR4, 2011 528i N52, Sequoia, Excursion, a few motorcycles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #14
cjb762
Captain
United_States
560
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Crozet, VA

iTrader: (1)

This is what I have. I've gone through a lot of them, and this is by far the best magnetic vent mount I have found - all aluminum construction, magnet is really strong, and it grips the vent really well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:39 AM   #15
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
This is what I use in my wife's '10 135i convertible:

Kuda console mount:
http://www2.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_a...12-3-588.html#

http://www2.kudausa.com/mount_popup.php?artikel_id=1344

ProClip holder for iPhone 8 with case:
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/5...o-medium-cases
Those are some slick phone mounts. Much more refined than any of the universal mounts Iíve found on Amazon so far.
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:40 AM   #16
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
What I did....3 one series ago....

I need to get a cupholder mount since I still have this piece I made....

Right now I am using a RAM suction windshield mount and the Ram X mount.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ight=ram+mount
Thatís a clever solution. I wonder if I could attach a gooseneck to a modified cup holder to position the phone closer to my line of sight.
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:45 AM   #17
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
This is what I have. I've gone through a lot of them, and this is by far the best magnetic vent mount I have found - all aluminum construction, magnet is really strong, and it grips the vent really well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn’t see your recommendation before I had to pick up something, anything, to mount the phone. I also got a vent mount, an iOttie. I like how it’s positioned relative to my line of sight and I can comfortably access all the radio controls (mainly the volume knob). However the weight of the phone pulls the vents down and I’m concerned about eventually snapping one of them.
Have you had any issues with yours?
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
cjb762
Captain
United_States
560
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Crozet, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Druc View Post
I didn't see your recommendation before I had to pick up something, anything, to mount the phone. I also got a vent mount, an iOttie. I like how it's positioned relative to my line of sight and I can comfortably access all the radio controls (mainly the volume knob). However the weight of the phone pulls the vents down and I'm concerned about eventually snapping one of them.
Have you had any issues with yours?
We have the same mount on all three of our cars, and haven't had any problems at all. On the 135, I put the mount in the bottom left of the passenger vent, so it has support from the bottom of the vent bracket, and doesn't put much weight on the vents at all. I will take a picture later and put it up.

First world problems here - but I also like the fact that you can open the jaws before you put it on or take it off, so it doesn't make a shiny spot on the vents like the push on type.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:51 AM   #19
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

👍👍
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #20
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
We have the same mount on all three of our cars, and haven't had any problems at all. On the 135, I put the mount in the bottom left of the passenger vent, so it has support from the bottom of the vent bracket, and doesn't put much weight on the vents at all. I will take a picture later and put it up.

First world problems here - but I also like the fact that you can open the jaws before you put it on or take it off, so it doesn't make a shiny spot on the vents like the push on type.[IMG][/IMG]

Is that a leather trim piece above the radio?
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #21
cjb762
Captain
United_States
560
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Crozet, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Druc View Post
Is that a leather trim piece above the radio?
It's an Alcantara cover from Redline Goods https://www.redlinegoods.com/BMW1shiftboot.php

You can see some other pics here... https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=9365
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #22
The_Druc
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
It's an Alcantara cover from Redline Goods https://www.redlinegoods.com/BMW1shiftboot.php

You can see some other pics here... https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=9365
Thanks. That looks super nice. Great choices. IMHO
__________________
2011 128i M-Sport 6MT
Space gray over black
Appreciate 1
cjb762560.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bluetooth, iphone, nav, stereo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST