BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
redrum36
135i-DIOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

135 noob questions

I know something about e36 and e46's and nothing about 135's! The info is harder to find too. Most people don't seem to be modifying them much although there are some race cars out there. I need to know the little things like can I flip the struts like I did on the e46 to get 3 degrees neg camber? etc. Do any e46 M3 parts fit or just e9x M3 parts? Where can I find more info on suspension? I have been running GC coil overs for years on other cars but I don;t have money for everything right now. I need a harness bar too. I cannot bear to put a roll bar in the new car yet.
thanks for your advice
david@shark3.com
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I believe this forum has the most info on E82 suspension.

I don't know anyone has flipped the struts on a E82, but I'd imagine it'll hurt camber since there isn't any room (it's tight up there in front, and zero room in the back) at the strut top to mount the strut upside down. unless of coz, you want to spend a lot of money, then anything is possible the common ways to add negative camber for this car: front, M3 control arms and camber plates (-2 or something max? idk. I got -1.1 to -1.2 with M3 front arms and lowered 0.5" on coilover). Rear, M3 rear conversion or there's the Velocity Motor adjustable arms.

I don't think any E46 parts fit this car, just e92 parts.
Harness bar
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

^^^

By flipping I assume he meant left to right and not upside down. I was able to get -2.2* in rear on complete stock suspension without any modification besides alignment. I am currently running -2* in rear. As for the front if the flip would be do-able I believe we would hear about it. I'll have a closer look next time I am under the car. Otherwise stock car will be limited to -0.7* with alignment pin removed. I am running -2.5* (max) with vorshlag camber plates with otherwise stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Could be wrong, but the top hats on the E82 look to be symmetrical, so flipping would probably not gain anything. An easy mod to get a slight increase in front camber is to remove the alignment pin (the little nipple that sticks up from the top hat), and this will allow to move the struts inward more for a minor increase in camber. -.7* seems a bit high for a stock car, and I would think its somewhere closer to -.5*, but it may be possible. With the M3 control arms you can go closer or slightly above to -1*. The rear has reasonable amount of adjustment, so you can work with that to match the settings on the front. If you want big camber on the e82, I think the only way will be camber plates and/or M3 control arms. I have no idea about e46 parts, but my guess would be that they do not fit. e9x parts should all fit, and many of the e9x M3 parts can be used as well, but not everything. There is quite a bit of information on suspension parts here, so hopefully you can find the information you need. Also, check the suspension section on e90post since the components are all similar. Unfortunately there aren't many free or easy mods, but any you do will be great fun! Hope this helps.

Tim
      04-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
redrum36
135i-DIOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yes, I was talking about left/right "switching", then rotating to align the bolts differently to gt different cmber settings. On the e36/46 you can get even krazy like -5 but of course that is too much. I had about 3-3 on my front without adj camber plates. On my e36 I actualy had the adj plates but never adjusted them. ON the rear of the e46 I had AKG adj arms. I had about -3 all around. Extreme yes but I drove it all year on the street as well as the track. Except for heavy snow days when it swold be more of a snow plow.
Thanks for the info. There are probably lots of tips out there and it will take time to learn them. Right now, the driving season clock is ticking and I am in no position to take my RFT's onto the track! I am sure they will be eaten i one wknd! I am working on tires first but also need some simple suspension just to get started. Eventually I will need some coil overs etc.
So do the e9x M3 things help that much or is it better to just get aftermarket? It looks like the sway bars are a lot cheaper than aftermarket and probably help.
thanks again!
d
Appreciate 0