BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
JM.Monty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 135i N55

New brakes pads and rotors.

Got me some new EBCs slotted rotors for my 135i with some EBC Redstuffs pads. Do you guys recommend replacing the bolt as well, or it can be reused?? Also, what brake fluid you guys recommend?? I found Liqui Moly Dot 5.1 and two others with some 6000 spec. number on it, with not Dot.
Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

The service instructions say to replace all hardware so the rotor retaining bolt should be replaced. Will it make a difference? Probably not but are you willing to redo the work if it does?

I used Pentosin Super DOT4 so the DOT5.1 is likely just as good or better. I wouldn’t use anything that isn’t clearly DOT rated
      04-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I just finished with same ebc rotors.Hit that retaining bolt hard with an impact. Trying to do it the old fashioned way i stripped 2. I used an electric harbor freight impact on the other 2 and came out easy. I got out 1 stripped one, but the other is unrepairable. But im thinking about doing all 4 wheel bearings and new hubs soon. But they are just for holding the rotor in place while putting on the caliper. So i dont have one on my front brake. Used lugs to hold on the rotor while finishing. But the others got new bolts. I used pentosin dot4. Brakes were tight and grabby. But i didnt bed them either. Car went right back up on jackstands
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Where can I find a bottle of brake fluid in the US that is not DOT approved. Specifically ATE Super Blue. Oh, wait, but for the color it is DOT approved, and because of the color it cant be sold in the US. Which brings me back to my question, where can I find a bottle in the US that is not DOT approved?

I would also like to learn what difference using an old, not stripped retaining screw would make, and what work would have to be done if the screw is bad?
      04-25-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

I'm not sure what type of driving you do. When I called EBC, they recommended Yellow Stuff for my 128i (with 3 stage IM and software, perhaps 265 hp). I went with Red Stuff because it was advertised as low noise (NO noise!), very low dust (TRUE). When I went to bed in the pads (all four wheels) after some initial driving (follow their procedure), I was a bit dumbfounded when the last couple of aggressive stops led to severe brake fade. My car is a DD, and I don't drive in a manner which heats the pads as hot, or quickly, as the bedding procedure, so this hasn't been an issue for me.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
Where can I find a bottle of brake fluid in the US that is not DOT approved. Specifically ATE Super Blue. Oh, wait, but for the color it is DOT approved, and because of the color it cant be sold in the US. Which brings me back to my question, where can I find a bottle in the US that is not DOT approved?

I would also like to learn what difference using an old, not stripped retaining screw would make, and what work would have to be done if the screw is bad?
That brake fluid came both as blue and standard colour. You can still get the regular colour version. The ONLY reason why they offered it in two different colours was it made it easier to flush the brakes and be able to tell when all the old fluid was out because you could alternate colours.

Personally, I really like the BMW DOT 4 fluid. Our cars actually call for a Low Viscosity DOT 4 that allows quicker response by the DSC unit so the ABS, traction control and stability control work better, especially in colder temps.

This is another option:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...42156-Ate.html

Probably the same as the factory fluid. There is zero need for anything else on a street car.

If this is for a track only car, the only thing that should ever be used is Castrol SRF.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 04-25-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
The service instructions say to replace all hardware so the rotor retaining bolt should be replaced. Will it make a difference? Probably not but are you willing to redo the work if it does?

I used Pentosin Super DOT4 so the DOT5.1 is likely just as good or better. I wouldn’t use anything that isn’t clearly DOT rated
The rotor bolt is for nothing more than holding the rotor in place while the wheel is off. Don't waste your time with new ones unless they're just rusty or stripped.

Bosch ESI6-32N is excellent fluid for anything but track use. It's quite a bit cheaper. I use it in all my cars (except the E82 right now which has Motul RBF600).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
That brake fluid came both as blue and standard colour. You can still get the regular colour version. The ONLY reason why they offered it in two different colours was it made it easier to flush the brakes and be able to tell when all the old fluid was out because you could alternate colours.

Personally, I really like the BMW DOT 4 fluid. Our cars actually call for a Low Viscosity DOT 4 that allows quicker response by the DSC unit so the ABS, traction control and stability control work better, especially in colder temps.

This is another option:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...42156-Ate.html

Probably the same as the factory fluid. There is zero need for anything else on a street car.

If this is for a track only car, the only thing that should ever be used is Castrol SRF.
The BW price on the Ate SL6 is really a good deal. I'd probably go with that for street use if our cars actually benefit from low viscosity fluid.