BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
ridsama
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i M

Stiff brake pedal before engine start

This has been happening since I got 135 over a month ago now. Every time I get in my car, push in my remote, put my foot on the brake pedal, it's hard as rock. Then I give it a bit of force and push the start button, then it becomes normal again. Anyone know what's going on? It seems to happen over night or sometimes after not getting into the car for a couple of days. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Krugar
Cruising Daily
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Mine is the same. I have no idea.
2008 BMW 135i - AR Catless DP - Agency Power Mids - Corsa Exhaust - KW v2 - Performance Side Skirts, Pedals, Steering Wheel, SSK. - CF Spoiler, Diffuser, Mirror Caps - Injen Intake - JB3 2.0 - CPE BOV Kit (HKS) - 6k HID AE - 6700k D1S - Evolution Racewerks FMIC -
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
m3gtrdtm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

That's normal. There is no brake assist when the engine is off. Try pushing the pedal all the way in when you turn the car off, letting off, then pushing it again, it should be hard to push the second time as all the remaining charge has been drained.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
ridsama
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gtrdtm View Post
That's normal. There is no brake assist when the engine is off. Try pushing the pedal all the way in when you turn the car off, letting off, then pushing it again, it should be hard to push the second time as all the remaining charge has been drained.
That's what I read too from a google search, but why though? It's not like I purposely keep stepping on the brakes after engine is off...

My friends with Subarus told me that the brakes do get stiff if they keep stepping on them when the engine is off, so I assume that part is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Moving the master cylinders, pistons and pads takes a lot of force. Road cars have a vacuum system that reduces the pressure required. When the engine isn't running that vacuum isn't being created and will run out after a period of time the engine is off.

Your 135 is not unique, every roadcar has the same setup.
      08-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridsama View Post
That's what I read too from a google search, but why though? It's not like I purposely keep stepping on the brakes after engine is off...

My friends with Subarus told me that the brakes do get stiff if they keep stepping on them when the engine is off, so I assume that part is normal.
Yes it's normal - vacuum assist will do that. In fact, if you have a 135i, you'll notice a couple of little cannisters towards the passenger front of the engine bay, vacuum accumulators (needed with a boosted engine).

You think the brake pedal is fun with no assist, you shoulda driven a car, where the windshield wipers ran off vacuum, in the rain (and go up a fairly steep hill and try to maintain speed as the wipers s-l--o---w
d----o-----w------n. ; -).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

There have been problems with brake boosters leaking overnight. I can't say for sure over the internet, but you may want to have it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Is there any update on this?
Im also experiencing the same problems now.
in the morning its really hard to depress the brake to start the car...

is this a safety issue? or something that i can take my time to speak to my service guy about?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

minijet is the brake pedal hard after starting, or before?
If before, there is nothing wrong with your car and there is no safety issue. Whilst the vacuum accumulator might be draining sooner than previously, a leakage overnight is no worry. If it occurs after starting, then there might be a problem.
      04-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Absolutley nothing wrong with the car. As AussieRacer has said this is the system on every road going car in the country.

But let me be the first to say that if this is the only thing worth complaining about on your 1er than you are a very lucky man.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Wow, is this thread for real?
      04-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
minijet is the brake pedal hard after starting, or before?
If before, there is nothing wrong with your car and there is no safety issue. Whilst the vacuum accumulator might be draining sooner than previously, a leakage overnight is no worry. If it occurs after starting, then there might be a problem.
Thanks aussieracer, its happening BEFORE starting. its just that i have never ever experienced this with any other cars that i have ever owed (over 20+). i know it happens if i pump the brakes before i start but its doing it now even before pumping the brakes. But thanks anyways for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Absolutley nothing wrong with the car. As AussieRacer has said this is the system on every road going car in the country.

But let me be the first to say that if this is the only thing worth complaining about on your 1er than you are a very lucky man.
Thanks.
And unfortunately its not the only thing thats gone wrong with this car... hence the concerns...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep

minijet, I hear you about not experiencing it before. Whilst it is not unique to the 135, based on non-boost feel, I think BMW have fitted a very large master cylinder, which means for a short pedal movement, it is trying to move a lot a fluid. That creates a very heavy pedal without assistance, and normally would reduce pedal feel. However BMW seem to have overcome that - if they did in fact fit a large bore.