BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
tylerh269
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i brake rotor replacement

Does anybody know if the bmw maintenance plan is required to replace your rotors @ 30k mine are starting to become warped and I thought I read a thread before that said this, but cannot find it anywhere. Also my car is about to be out of its warranty and was looking to go ahead and buy some performance rotors but I dont want to spend any money if not needed. Is this a good deal on performance rotors heres the link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES21...665/ES2102485/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
that's a decent deal. I'm getting ready to get one myself. your dealer should replace the rotors if they are warped but if they suspect they were abused then you may be out of luck. it really all depends on individual dealers and your relationship with them. how do you know your rotors are warped?
      05-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

BMW'S Maint plan does infact enable rotors to be replaced when they are worn beyond there ware limits, but not just because the car has 30k on it..or any other mileage for that matter.. Maint plan is not based on Mileage alone.

Normally rotors are replaced under maint when they are measured when the brake lining light comes on and if below spec, rotors and pads are replaced as a set .. If the rotors are above spec, then just pads get replaced.

If you think your rotors are "warpped" that is a matter for Warranty and not maint. there is a fine line that centers have to deal with.

It is somewhat rare for BMW rotors to "warp"... they usually end up with either a build up of corrosion or brake pad material on a certain part of the rotor and give the driver the sensation of "warpped" rotors by there being a pulsation in the pedal.

If the pulsation is repeatable, then bring it to the dealer..

BTW thoses rotors you link are BMW's 135 Performance Rotor They are very good rotors ( they are not aftermarket is what i am saying ) the same as the rotor supplied in BMW's BBK
      05-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
tylerh269
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
that's a decent deal. I'm getting ready to get one myself. your dealer should replace the rotors if they are warped but if they suspect they were abused then you may be out of luck. it really all depends on individual dealers and your relationship with them. how do you know your rotors are warped?
They steering wheel shakes whenever I brake.

I was just curious because Im about to be out warranty and wanted to go ahead and get everything replaced that was needed. Ill call my dealership today and see what they say. Also theyre selling them @ tischer for 378, so i thought ecs was a hell of a deal, unless you know somewhere better.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh269 View Post
They steering wheel shakes whenever I brake.

I was just curious because Im about to be out warranty and wanted to go ahead and get everything replaced that was needed. Ill call my dealership today and see what they say. Also theyre selling them @ tischer for 378, so i thought ecs was a hell of a deal, unless you know somewhere better.
Wow.. you already have 50k on a 2010 !!!

were the brakes ever done before ???
      05-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
tylerh269
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

2008 with 33k
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh269 View Post
2008 with 33k
OOPS.. read your join date as year of car ?? duh

soon to be out by time i assume.. b/c you still have 17k left...

If its pulsating they should replace them, and by default you will get Pads thrown in for free.. ( when rotors are replaced under warranty BMW recommends Pad replacement )

Good Luck ..

Just thought about something !! you may want to ask dealer to upgrade to the perf. rotors and just pay the difference form the standard rotors.. This is possible if dealer willing to ask their BMW rep... ( be nice when asking... speak to Mgr.. SA will look at you as if you have 2 heads ..)

i.e just as an example:

under warranty rotors cost 150.00 to themselves
Perf rotors cost 200.00

Dealer bills out Perf rotors, gets reinbursed the 150, and you put up the other 50. Labor the same either way.