BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3449
Rep
5,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

M Sport Suspension vs Stock

OK, I have been searching and searching and searching.....

Ordered my car with the M Sport Package, which includes the M Sport Suspension. What exactly are the differences? I am assuming the shocks and springs are different, but how much lower is it? How about sway bar diameters? Bump stops?!?!?!?

Just trying to plan out what mods to do to the suspension. I do quite a few track events, but this is a daily driver first and foremost. I am not going to compromise the comfort for an extra 0.5s of laptime. In my 26 years of driving, I have had way too many cars that became nearly purpose built track cars. I am getting too old for that stuff.... LOL!

So far I plan on adding the Dinan static camber plates (just enough camber to dial out some understeer and allow fitting 245's) M3 front arms and sway bar, rear subframe bushings and may add the Koni FSD's. Of course the stock RFT's will be tossed right quick in favour of Mich PSS on some APEX wheels.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 03-19-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
RimasRS's Avatar
65
Rep
2,434
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 SD
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

I think when you will get rid of the run flats then you will start to look for suspension upgrades from M sport suspension to M division bits and shocks + springs.
From stock and sport suspension there is +- 15mm difference in height.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3449
Rep
5,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS
I think when you will get rid of the run flats then you will start to look for suspension upgrades from M sport suspension to M division bits and shocks + springs.
From stock and sport suspension there is +- 15mm difference in height.
So the M sport suspension is 15mm lower than the base model? Shocks any different?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
77
Rep
2,696
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

I thought the Msport was the same as the sport....Msport package was purely cosmetic...different wheels, trim, headliner, door sills, steering wheel.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3449
Rep
5,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Here in Canada there is no "Sport" package on the 135i, just the "M Sport Edition" now. Previously it was the "M Sport Package". Includes all you listed plus the suspension, the additional oil cooler, increased top speed, sport seats etc etc.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 03-19-2013 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
fe1rx
Captain
684
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i, 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
OK, I have been searching and searching and searching.....

Ordered my car with the M Sport Package, which includes the M Sport Suspension. What exactly are the differences? I am assuming the shocks and springs are different, but how much lower is it? How about sway bar diameters? Bump stops?!?!?!?

Just trying to plan out what mods to do to the suspension. I do quite a few track events, but this is a daily driver first and foremost. I am not going to compromise the comfort for an extra 0.5s of laptime. In my 26 years of driving, I have had way too many cars that became nearly purpose built track cars. I am getting too old for that stuff.... LOL!

So far I plan on adding the Dinan static camber plates (just enough camber to dial out some understeer and allow fitting 245's) M3 front arms and sway bar, rear subframe bushings and may add the Koni FSD's. Of course the stock RFT's will be tossed right quick in favour of Mich PSS on some APEX wheels.
The single best reason to get the M Sport Package is the seats, which are brilliant on the track.

Don't be too hasty throwing all those mods on unless you have money to burn. Do things one at a time and assess the benefit vs your expectations. Best bang for the buck approach, pause and assess between steps:

1) install 225/40R18's all around on original wheels (big change)
2) rear subframe bushings (bigger change)
3) M3 front arms, stock alignment except for front camber (small change)
4) camber plates, stock alignment except for front camber (small change)
5) Apex wheels with 245s all around (expensive change just to be able to say you have 245s, unless you just really like the wheels)
6) New shocks (if you feel you really must) on the OE springs (no idea, but the FSD's may improve the daily drive harshness)
7) M3 front bar (there is really no way to know if you will really need this mod at all. Bars are for fine tuning so should be left to last. I know you will be tempted because it is just so easy to do, but bite the bullet and change the rear subframe bushings first. You will become one of the converted.)

Given your stated usage, I suspect that you will get what you need by step 2, but you may not get what you want until step 7! Sticking with a staggered tire setup will lead you on a never ending quest if you really are looking for neutral handling.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9041
Rep
22,879
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
OK, I have been searching and searching and searching.....

Ordered my car with the M Sport Package, which includes the M Sport Suspension. What exactly are the differences?...
All 135i 's for the US market come with the SAME M-sport suspension. There is only a difference for US spec 128i models. On a 128i the M-sport makes a big difference since the shocks and springs are different(slightly lower ride height).


Ordering the M-Sport is really worth it though... because you get some extra goodies bundled into the sport package. Like the alcantera headliner and the higher speed limiter.


[B]BMW M-sport option code 840 increased top speed limiter (speed synchronisation)…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=top+speed+840
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
bigjweb
New Member
bigjweb's Avatar
2
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
The single best reason to get the M Sport Package is the seats, which are brilliant on the track.

Don't be too hasty throwing all those mods on unless you have money to burn. Do things one at a time and assess the benefit vs your expectations. Best bang for the buck approach, pause and assess between steps:

1) install 225/40R18's all around on original wheels (big change)
2) rear subframe bushings (bigger change)
3) M3 front arms, stock alignment except for front camber (small change)
4) camber plates, stock alignment except for front camber (small change)
5) Apex wheels with 245s all around (expensive change just to be able to say you have 245s, unless you just really like the wheels)
6) New shocks (if you feel you really must) on the OE springs (no idea, but the FSD's may improve the daily drive harshness)
7) M3 front bar (there is really no way to know if you will really need this mod at all. Bars are for fine tuning so should be left to last. I know you will be tempted because it is just so easy to do, but bite the bullet and change the rear subframe bushings first. You will become one of the converted.)

Given your stated usage, I suspect that you will get what you need by step 2, but you may not get what you want until step 7! Sticking with a staggered tire setup will lead you on a never ending quest if you really are looking for neutral handling.
I like the approach of taking it easy. My last car was an LGT and I jumped in head first and blew through 6 grand in engine and transmission mods. But that was another car and another topic. Why do you suggest running 225's all the way around? Is that to reduce understeer while running the widest possible tires all around (limited by front)?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
49
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rota Spain (US Forces)

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
All 135i 's for the US market come with the SAME M-sport suspension. There is only a difference for US spec 128i models. On a 128i the M-sport makes a big difference since the shocks and springs are different(slightly lower ride height).


Ordering the M-Sport is really worth it though... because you get some extra goodies bundled into the sport package. Like the alcantera headliner and the higher speed limiter.


BMW M-sport option code 840 increased top speed limiter (speed synchronisation)…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?
t=362052&highlight=top+speed+840
Dack is right.
When me and a buddy both ordered our brand new 135s he got msport I did not. We both ran our vin numbers at bmwvin.com which gives a very detailed list of what your car is optioned with down to the interior trim color. Both has the same sport/msport suspension. When we both got our cars we parked next to each other and same height and wheel gap. He was upset because he thought he was getting better suspension. I tried to tell him though.

For you guys the "msport edition" is the same as the us spec135is. So again it will have the same suspension as a normal 135i as that's what they all leave the factory as and the "IS" parts are installed at the port in North America, which is why I couldn't have one delivered in Europe. But try changing out the run flats first and see how that changes the ride. Then change out suspension pieces bit by bit.
__________________

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
MLSavage's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

I would hate to think that the 'stock' suspension would have more wiggle and bounce than the MSport suspension has when you remove the RFTs. When the rear becomes decompressed at all it feels like the body is trying to wriggle itself free from the rest of the car.

The real benefit of the MSport suspension is the rest of the package. However, I'm not sure on the cost to upgrade all of the other bits without leaving out the suspension. You would need to mod the suspension regardless for good handling on a track.

I will be replacing numerous components to M parts before my car sees the track.
__________________
2010 N54 135i - Alpine White - 6MT - M-Sport - LCI Blacklines - 1M Mirrors - PSS - Powdercoated Black 261M
SELLING MY CAR
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9041
Rep
22,879
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

OP - you might like to read my review of when I replaced the rear axle bushings with M3 units. I only replaced the bushings with M3 ones, so it was easy to see how dramatic of a change it is.


Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
3449
Rep
5,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Interesting......

Here is what it says directly from the BMW Canada Bulletin regarding the M Sport Edition:

Exterior Features:

High-gloss shadow line
18” wheel, style 313
Black mirror caps
High-gloss black kidney grill
M Aerodynamic package
Blackline rear lights
Chrome high-gloss tailpipes
M Sport Suspension

* No restrictions on exterior paints

Interior Features:

Sport seats (royal blue stitching, only with the exclusive Boston Leather interior LWNL)
Floor mats (royal blue stitching, only with the exclusive Boston Leather interior LWNL)
M leather steering wheel
Aluminum Glacier Silver trim (only trim available)
Anthracite roofliner (Coupe only)
Gearshift knob in leather 'Walknappa' (manual only)
Gearshift lever cover in leather 'Walknappa' (manual only)
Handbrake-lever gaiter in leather 'Walknappa'
M drivers footrest Stainless steel pedals (manual only)
Door sill finishers, chrome-plated "BMW Edition" designation

This is not the same car as the 135is in the US as there are no parts added at the "port" It is basically built the same as the 135is in Germany, but the PPK and exhaust are not added (I believe those are the only parts added at the port on US spec cars) and is why I am able to order this car with EU delivery.

Strange that they would list it as an added feature if it was the same suspension?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 03-20-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
fe1rx
Captain
684
Rep
615
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i, 2011 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjweb View Post
Why do you suggest running 225's all the way around? Is that to reduce understeer while running the widest possible tires all around (limited by front)?
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9041
Rep
22,879
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Interesting......

Here is what it says directly from the BMW Canada Bulletin regarding the M Sport Edition:....

Strange that they would list it as an added feature if it was the same suspension?!?!?!?!?
I think you have to "think" like a German does to understand their logic at times...

The reason why they say or list it as "M sport" suspension is because on a regular 1er (hatch)the M sport suspension is something extra in the options catalog. I would think that 95% of the 1er's get built without the "M sport" suspension. Only the guys who ordered an e81 coupe/hatch would get it or the handful of 130i hatches would opt for it.

So... even though all NA (US & Canada) cars(e82/e88's) get the M sport as standard equip... since bmw has to option the car that way for NA market... they list it as something special, like a special option. Because, for a car over here to have it... you would have to option the car with "M sport" box ticked off. Does that make sense?



PS: Its interesting you Canadians get the Blacklines as a package option.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST