05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #111
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Once you get those camber plates on you will find a lot of reasons to reconnect. I am noticing quite improved turn-in feel -- BIG stupid smile on my face all day long ...
Oh yes

At least other goodies, namely P3Cars gauge, BMS OCC, Stop Tech brake lines and street pads are arriving; I am thinking about getting scientific with the gauge installed: suggesting myself these experiments: real top speed? real 0-60 etc.

What is your camber/caster/toe setting now?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #112
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Oh yes

At least other goodies, namely P3Cars gauge, BMS OCC, Stop Tech brake lines and street pads are arriving; I am thinking about getting scientific with the gauge installed: suggesting myself these experiments: real top speed? real 0-60 etc.

What is your camber/caster/toe setting now?
About -2.5 up front and -2.0 in back. Total toe in 1/16".

I'll report back at some point on wear, etc. after getting some miles on it but initial impressions after today's drive were quite favorable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #113
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Oz, be glad you didn't seriously consider the M5. The smg is absolutely awful. I am driving my bro's m5 this weekend, and while the power is insane, the smg kills the car. Shifts are so slow! Plus maintenance costs are ridiculous, think exotic car expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #114
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Oz, be glad you didn't seriously consider the M5. The smg is absolutely awful. I am driving my bro's m5 this weekend, and while the power is insane, the smg kills the car. Shifts are so slow! Plus maintenance costs are ridiculous, think exotic car expensive.
This one didn't have launch control and was limited to 250 km/h (155 mph) so I thought even if everything else was good, what am I gonna have on top of a 1M, a bigger boot and back doors?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #115
Ba7raini
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I owned an E60 for quite some time. It is truly a great car, the high revving N/A is pure joy, lots of people I know didn't enjoy this as they're not use to the power being all the way at the end of rev counter and are more use to torque (which it lacks). The speed is insane (could beat first gen gallardos and keep with f430's) and I actually preferred the single clutch SMG over the new DCT (btw if it has smg it has launch control). However the car did have its problems. First of all was the resale value, the E60 is known for this in many areas of the world, it simply doesn't hold its value. The second thing is the warranty issue, you do not want to own this car after the warranty expires, too many things can go wrong (transmission, diff, clutch, etc) and the price to maintain is just too high and it isn't the most reliable car. The small fuel tank wasn't really an issue for me, it was a surprise at first but I got use to it very quickly. If you are looking to own this car till the warranty expires and sell it, then I say go for it, it is truly a marvel to be experienced. However if you want to keep this car after the warranty runs out, you will need another car to use most of the time and the extra cash to maintain it when needed. Oh one more thing, it is very oil thirsty, I was topping it up every week, or every other week. Hope this helped

Previous - Sepang Bronze E39 ///M5 sadly sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #116
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
what am I gonna have on top of a 1M, a bigger boot and back doors?
Oz, avoid seller's remorse: for the time being, keep the First Prize.

Many enthusiasts are yearning for a 1M, while you got one and can go for a ride anytime.

Name:  Fun_O-Meter.gif
Views: 666
Size:  144.3 KB
      05-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #117
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba7raini View Post
I owned an E60 for quite some time. It is truly a great car, the high revving N/A is pure joy, lots of people I know didn't enjoy this as they're not use to the power being all the way at the end of rev counter and are more use to torque (which it lacks). The speed is insane (could beat first gen gallardos and keep with f430's) and I actually preferred the single clutch SMG over the new DCT (btw if it has smg it has launch control). However the car did have its problems. First of all was the resale value, the E60 is known for this in many areas of the world, it simply doesn't hold its value. The second thing is the warranty issue, you do not want to own this car after the warranty expires, too many things can go wrong (transmission, diff, clutch, etc) and the price to maintain is just too high and it isn't the most reliable car. The small fuel tank wasn't really an issue for me, it was a surprise at first but I got use to it very quickly. If you are looking to own this car till the warranty expires and sell it, then I say go for it, it is truly a marvel to be experienced. However if you want to keep this car after the warranty runs out, you will need another car to use most of the time and the extra cash to maintain it when needed. Oh one more thing, it is very oil thirsty, I was topping it up every week, or every other week. Hope this helped
Good to know, thanks. Warranty is only 2 years here so it was already passed for this 2010 M5, but the dealer is offering a 1 year warranty. The point is you are left alone with a 5 year old M5 after that single year which is enough for me to drop it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #118
Ba7raini
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Might as well keep yours - whichever M car you own, your gonna love. I had the privilege of owning and driving many and they all have their pros and cons but could never say one is truly better than the other. In the end they are all unique and will definitely put a smile on your face.

Previous - Sepang Bronze E39 ///M5 sadly sold

Last edited by Ba7raini; 05-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #119
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

So, I pulled into the Porsche dealership up here to eyeball the redesigned Cayman S. I've considered it as a possible replacement candidate but not too seriously.

Of course, there was the only other AW in the state parked there. The guy had just test driven the new Cayman S. He felt that the new Cayman looked better but suffered from a bit of bloat and lacked some of the technology he wanted--I'm assuming these are the expensive options that Porsche reams you out on.

When I asked about how it drove he hedged around things, mentioning how great it was at high rpms and in curves. Eventually, he admitted that compared to the 1M, it felt "gutless."

I wholeheartedly agree that keeping the 1M is the way to go if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #120
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
So, I pulled into the Porsche dealership up here to eyeball the redesigned Cayman S. I've considered it as a possible replacement candidate but not too seriously.

Of course, there was the only other AW in the state parked there. The guy had just test driven the new Cayman S. He felt that the new Cayman looked better but suffered from a bit of bloat and lacked some of the technology he wanted--I'm assuming these are the expensive options that Porsche reams you out on.

When I asked about how it drove he hedged around things, mentioning how great it was at high rpms and in curves. Eventually, he admitted that compared to the 1M, it felt "gutless."

I wholeheartedly agree that keeping the 1M is the way to go if you can.
Interesting perspective. The Cayman S is the only one out there that really gets me excited, although I haven't driven one. Cost and lack of back seat make it a less likely choice, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #121
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

I am looking at the 4c personally. But I would keep the M if I had one
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #122
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
I am looking at the 4c personally. But I would keep the M if I had one
Not if you have the life of Travelling Wilburys' thanks to my profession (diplomat), I am lucky to have a car like 1M in a country where I can actually drive it and enjoy it on public roads. Where and whenabouts of my next post are always a part of a mystery so I can't even dream about having two special cars at one time, not in my wildest dreams.

If I would be stable for say, 5 years minimum, I would probably seriously consider keeping the 1M and buying a 4C as a companion. I am very curious about upcoming real world magazine tests of that car, maybe in June or July they should kickstart. I don't find anything else available in near future as possibly exciting.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #123
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post

Eventually, he admitted that compared to the 1M, it felt "gutless."
Kind of what I felt when I test drove the Boxster S, despite all its qualities. Performance numbers, efficiency, quality, technology it seems to have everything in abundance but it did not feel like a raw and stimulating driver's machine, a sports car a la Porsche of old times. They designed this car in a way like you can't find a logical excuse for not-to like the car but then it doesn't make you "love" a car!

Exterior design is predictable, interior could be identical in a Panamera or Cayenne, interior is cold and clinical with too many buttons, and steering is not my cup of tea. I also don't like to configure this and that in order to make the most out of any car. I am old fashioned, was old fashioned when I was 16 already! I want the car to be ready all the time to bite and you just get in and drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #124
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

The latest issue of EVO has a news item that Renault may partner up with Caterham to build a 4C fighter. It will be mid-engined and use the 4-cyl turbo from the Renault parts bin tuned to around 250 HP (this may be in a Megane currently?). It will also resurrect the Alpine name.

There is a render in EVO which I don't have access to from work. Autocar has an article here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ra-and-alfa-4c
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #125
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
The latest issue of EVO has a news item that Renault may partner up with Caterham to build a 4C fighter. It will be mid-engined and use the 4-cyl turbo from the Renault parts bin tuned to around 250 HP (this may be in a Megane currently?). It will also resurrect the Alpine name.
There is a render in EVO which I don't have access to from work. Autocar has an article here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ra-and-alfa-4c
Renault boss Carlos Tavares: "It would be arrogant to say we could go head-to-head with Porsche and win," he said. "But I think Lotus and Alfa are realistic targets."

I think the words "arrogant" and "win" in that first phrase need to be replaced by "naive" and "aspire to win".
      05-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #126
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

I know that too, future is really bright and I love the actual renders/prototypes of new Alpine! But I still have some doubts about the Caterham and Renault partnership, too much thing depends on Euro Zone crisis for such an investment to happen. Will believe it when I see the pre-production models. Renault makes just too many prototypes and few of them actually pass to production.

Anyone remember their Sport Spider? That was also built in Alpine plant between 96 to 99, exact same years when I was living in Paris and enjoyed the sight of that brave car many times.

Name:  renault_sport_spider_4.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  208.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #127
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Alpine Video

Here is a good Alpine concept car video:

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #128
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Renault boss Carlos Tavares: "It would be arrogant to say we could go head-to-head with Porsche and win," he said. "But I think Lotus and Alfa are realistic targets."

I think the words "arrogant" and "win" in that first phrase need to be replaced by "naive" and "aspire to win".
If they can produce a production car close to their concept that is going to blow any Porsche Cayman past, present or future, the concept has a 400 ps mid engine V6 with space age technology chassis and weight of a Smart, but if he means that they will never sell as much as Porsche whatever they do that indeed is a fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #129
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
If they can produce a production car close to their concept that is going to blow any Porsche Cayman past, present or future, the concept has a 400 ps mid engine V6 with space age technology chassis and weight of a Smart, but if he means that they will never sell as much as Porsche whatever they do that indeed is a fact.
While I don't plan to replace Einser Rex, I do wonder what I might get in a few years to keep him company. The Cayman S or a used 997 have been high on the list along with the new M3 or M2.

Lately, though, I've been also thinking about going American!

The StingRay tickles me in all the right places and I'm way past caring what people think it says about my penis size or ability to perform in the boudoir!

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-corvett...here-509846676
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #130
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Video-ad of Alfa 4C

Marc Gene driving it for real in the video. Also: it will be displayed and driven at Goodwood Festival of Speed soon and deliveries will start in August/September, 60K Euro for launch edition and standard version will start from 50K Euro. Finally, I was able to read that it doesn't have a mechanical limited slip diferential, it will have a E-diff. It also doesn't have power steering as some of you already knows. Dry weight is confirmed as 895 kg. (1973 pounds).

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/gu...deo-61413.html

And a second video about the production process:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...C-is-made.html
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #131
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I vote keep the 1M you'll regret selling values are going up up and away
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #132
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
If there is nothing wrong with that car, that must be one of the worst resale values...ever?
He just tested the waters for a possible resale. Mind you, his E60 M5 has all whistles and bells, 67K kms, accident-free, no tracking: they offered ...€19K.

So steer clear from E60 M5 if you want to avoid to take a serious resale hit.

The 1M on the other hand, is still going strong in the resale market, holding fairly well its value.

Remarkable: on resale websites most 1M's are AW and BSM - VO is a minority. So VO 1M might be either a collector's item keeper or a quick sale (1M benchmark color) ?