BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6sp, 2013 135i DCT

XTRONS - Android head unit upgrade

Hello BMW lovers,

I have used over the years some many tips and advice from the forum and I would like to pay back a bit all that help. As I did not find much help aboput Xtrons unit, I will proceed to update this thread with my experience.

This is my 2nd 135i, the original one was a 2008 manual with Premium HIFI. When I took my 2013 Special Edition one, realized the mistake with the audio system. Now, I have upgraded my 2013 BMW 135i headunit with a brand new unit from Xtrons that I bought at amazon (model PA7981BIP):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My car came originally with HIFI system, which is basically the standard for the US version, I took the opportunitty to add:

- Bimmer-Tech Amp (which is basically an Audio-Tec Fischer PP86DSP)
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/pp-86dsp

- Changed all speakers with Harman Kardon versions (adding the missing tweeters in the back)
P/N are:
Rear
65139143121 - Midrange speaker, stereo/HiFi
65139217912 - Harman Kardon tweeter
Front
65136945412 - midrange speaker, stereo HiFi
65139217910 - Harman Kardon tweeter
51337270889 - Harman Kardon cover
51337270890 - Harman Kardon cover

- Changed subs with Audio Tec Fischer MW 8BMW-D:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...kers/mw-8bmw-d

- Added backup camera from eBay: BMW E82 E88 E84 E90 E91 E92 E93 E60 E61 E70 E71 E72 CCD HD Backup Handle Camera

- Torque adapter
- TPMS adapter
- Carpaly adapter

Evererything is working but the carplay adapter (waiting from an update from support) and I did not have time to setup the OBD2 bluettoth adapter with the unit. In reality my challenge is that I am new w android (Mac fan to the core)

Will be updating the post as time permits and certainly sharing pictures
Attached Images

08-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Nice. I just did the same install of this head unit. Only thing I did not like was that there were no instructions with the unit itself.

My car (2011) has the Base Unit...so no amp. I would love to add an amp at some point, but car stereo work is something I have never done so not quite sure how to get started without doing some research first.

Also at some point, I need to connect the long yellow wire to my fuse box as I am losing all of my preset stations and clock settings. chris_flies helped me out a lot as he did the same install. I didn't know about the antenna (blue) wire needing 12 volts.I also didn't know about the memory wire. He suggested to use fuse #2 as my constant source of voltage for memory and add a circuit.

I leave for vacation in a few days, but plan to do so when I get back and will probably just load CarWebGuru on the system as it comes with quite a few nice "skins" and easy to setup apps.
      08-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Rmtt

Tips for XTRON installation learned the hard way:

1. Yellow - constant 12 Volts: Buy a MINI fuse tap at AutoZone. Use the third fusefuse from bottom left (5AMP). Will post a picture

2. iPhone Contacts sync with Xtron over Bluetooth: You have to go on Settings/Google and disable data sync with your Google account. Then the iPhone will show the option to sync contacts in Settings/Bluetooth/Xtrons (of whatever name you use for the head unit)

3. CP01 dongle for CarPlay: Still does not work with Android 9, despite the new patch Xtrons send me.

4. The antenna wire does not need a 12 V

5. The amp blue wire (female) from the main adapter has to be connected to the blue wire (male) part of the external amp wires. Use the sample principle for the AUX input

6. Do not put the mic close to the dash - Best place to put it=close to the original mic, around the interior reading lights (let me know if you need help removing that panel. I changed original rearview mirror for the one with compas (using retrofit kit) and I know it is a pain to remove.
      08-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

12V Constant source behind glove box

Double check with a multimeter but that worked well with my 2013 135i - US spec.
Third fuse from bottom left (5AMP)
Note: Buy the MINI fuse tap (not the micro).
Attached Images

08-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeespinozar View Post
Double check with a multimeter but that worked well with my 2013 135i - US spec.
Third fuse from bottom left (5AMP)
Note: Buy the MINI fuse tap (not the micro).
Thanks....already have the mini fuse tap. I have an Android phone, so setting the unit up should be no issues.

I may have misstated #4 and #5. I did connect the blue wires the way you suggested.

Also chris_flies has the updated files for carplay to work. He ran into the same issue, but fixed it within days.

I really need to research what is need to add an amp and start upgrading some speakers. I thought about getting updated speakers for the doors to see if maybe the Xtron's unit may be pushing a little more power out than the original head unit.

However the more I have looked, the more I have seen that you really almost have to start over with the entire system.

I would be happy if it sounded as good as the stock system in my Corvette. I don't listen to loud or "booming" music...but it sounds sort of "tinny" and lacks depth the way it is.
      09-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Naimsito21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i 2010 m sport package

Just curious I recently bought this and was just wondering how you got the bottom piece fit properly. I know you have to cut the sides of the AC unit but I want to make sure that before I do it, it fits right how it’s suppose to.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Overall impressions are that I like the unit, but have a bug I can't figure out. I ran the battery wire to my fusebox with add a fuse.

I've noticed that the unit will lose time. Sometimes it keeps the time and date for 2-3 days, but sometimes it will lose it in 1 day and be stuck at the time I turned the car off.

I figured the fuse I used (#2 slot) was possibly going to sleep, but crazy thing is that it retains all my preset radio stations....so that tells me it is still getting voltage to keep those in memory.

Anyone else run into that issue?
      10-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Curious. Looks like maybe the LED backlighting doesn't match OE amber.
      10-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Curious. Looks like maybe the LED backlighting doesn't match OE amber.
Probably just a matter of dialing it in. Mine has a color chart with adjustable gradients....and can also be setup by color code if one were to have the code for it.

Mine matches pretty good.
      10-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Probably just a matter of dialing it in. Mine has a color chart with adjustable gradients....and can also be setup by color code if one were to have the code for it.

Mine matches pretty good.
That's all great news!
Rmtt8206.00
      10-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have been searching for a head-unit like this. How was the install? I am new to wiring, and thought it was going to be a pnp harness, but i guess not huh?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #12
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Hello G3min, the harness was indeed pnp (includes even a canbus box), but the size of the unit created a massive installation headache that was only solved after I cut a pig piece of the plastic behind the original radio. will put another picture of the area behind the unit after the cut.
Eventually (after failing to fix failure of the carplay dongle) I returned the unit (bought it in Amazon) and moved on to avin android unit (another DIY in the forum).
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeespinozar; 10-17-2019 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Mark James
Rep
Drives: E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I also didn't know about the memory wire. He suggested to use fuse #2 as my constant source of voltage for memory and add a circuit.
When I tap into that fuse with the yellow wire my car will not go to sleep.

I am a little confused about the wiring. The instructions in the xtrons forum says "Most commonly this is resolved by Reversing the Lines, this is simply removing the RED and YELLOW wire and exchanging their position in the ISO"
Any tips on how I can save my radio stations memory and make my car sleep with the xtrons ?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #14
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post

I am a little confused about the wiring. The instructions in the xtrons forum says "Most commonly this is resolved by Reversing the Lines, this is simply removing the RED and YELLOW wire and exchanging their position in the ISO"
Any tips on how I can save my radio stations memory and make my car sleep with the xtrons ?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry...I can't help. I never received any instructions with mine. I tapped the yellow wire into the fuse box like I posted earlier.......but my car does go to sleep.

My issue is stil the same....if the car isn't cranked daily...it loses the time. The time comes up as when the car went to sleep I think. But oddly....all my radio presets are still intact.

I'm going to try another fuse position. If that doesn't work....than I think it's a fault with the unit as I can't find a "setting" in the menu that would affect this.
      11-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello G3min, the harness was indeed pnp (includes even a canbus box), but the size of the unit created a massive installation headache that was only solved after I cut a pig piece of the plastic behind the original radio. will put another picture of the area behind the unit after the cut.
Eventually (after failing to fix failure of the carplay dongle) I returned the unit (bought it in Amazon) and moved on to avin android unit (another DIY in the forum).
I didn't even know AVIN had a headunit. I thought they only did the screens on top of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #16
Mark James
Rep

No need for the yellow wire to be connected.

After trying to find a fuse to tap and even connecting the yellow wire directly to the battery but I still couldn't get my e88 to sleep.

I got this from https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...w-e90-t3800052

Settings
scroll down to factory settings
password:126
***Change this seting***default power status; memory of last status
apply
exit
yes to reboot

This saves the stations in memory. The clock will updated by GPS automatically within about a minute. If you don't mind the head unit rebooting every time you drive the car (takes a about a minute for me) then there is no need for the yellow wire which I tested and draws .05 amps while sleeping and .3 amps awake.

Last edited by Mark James; 11-15-2019 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
Mark James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimsito21 View Post
Just curious I recently bought this and was just wondering how you got the bottom piece fit properly. I know you have to cut the sides of the AC unit but I want to make sure that before I do it, it fits right how it’s suppose to.
The whole unit (including the AC control) is held in by the 2 screws underneath the blank buttons on the radio face.

The climate control gets connected with 2 metal strap brackets with little screws. The only issue is the heated seats/cabrio ribbon cable which is directly underneath one of the metal brackets (just screw it in the best you can).

You probably installed it already but I thought I'd post for future installers.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post

Thanks in advance.
Hello Mark, the Red is for +12V from ignition and the Yellow is +12V directly from battery. What they are saying is: We made a mistake and put the cables incorrectly in the harness. I would 1st take a look at other wires from all the pictures in google. Regarding the fuse box, check the picture I uploaded, I did use the 3rd fuse from bottom left. In a 135i works well, for other models, you will need a multimeter to test and a lot of patience
      11-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hello Mark, the Red is for +12V from ignition and the Yellow is +12V directly from battery. What they are saying is: We made a mistake and put the cables incorrectly in the harness. I would 1st take a look at other wires from all the pictures in google. Regarding the fuse box, check the picture I uploaded, I did use the 3rd fuse from bottom left. In a 135i works well, for other models, you will need a multimeter to test and a lot of patience
I may switch mine to that fuse and see how it goes. Since I had the battery disconnected to do my valve cover gasket....now the radio doesn't remember anything.

In the past with using Fuse #2's slot, it would retain the station pre-sets and not the time. Plus it would come right up when entering the vehicle. Now for some reason, the radio completely reboots each time taking 60 seconds or so.

I had been reading a lot over at the XDA forums...and it seems like no one has come up with a way for it to retain time aside from using a "Tasker" app and hotspot..or waiting on GPS to update it.
      11-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I've had mine for almost 2 years now. Never hooked up the yellow wire. Have never lost presets.
Time is GPS based, so long as you've entered the correct time zone in the factory menu it'll auto update.

But after having it for a while, I need something better. The internal amp is weak and the EQ control just can't compensate. May have something to do with my alpine upgrade, but this car just has zero midrange punch.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #21
MidasX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

USB port under the armrest

Is there a way to connect the USB port under the armrest to the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #22
mwikina977
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135I M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
Going through the install at the moment.

Everything is working, except I'm getting zero sound.

I connected the two blue wires, double checked my connections and the main harness.

Tried both antennas but no sound, not even static.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I do not have HK, just the standard system
Appreciate 0