BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Questions on Reprogramming to Stock Tune

Hey guys I'm in California and need to flash back to the stock tune for smog reasons. I currently have the modified tune for the 3 stage intake on the car. I have a few questions:

1) I checked bimmerlabs.com and there are 4 different stock tunes (attached a screenshot). Which of the 4 should I use?

2)With installing one of these stock tunes, will it reinstall the RSA that I previously deleted?

3) The last time I was installing the stock tune, it got stuck pretty early into the flashing process I believe and it bricked the car. I think the solution was changing to a different COM port but I can't remember for certain. I know I should hook up to a battery charger. What else should I know or do programming/software wise to avoid bricking the car again?

Thank you guys in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Why do you need to flash back? Shouldn't a 330i tune still pass smog?
      06-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Can't find the source, but I read somewhere that the new CA test is able to determine if the car's tune is anything other than what it came with from the factory. Even loading another stock tune (BimmerLabs) would throw a flag. Not sure how they determine if anything other than the stock tune is CARB legal, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that BimmerLabs isn't approved.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:52 AM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Quote:
Can't find the source, but I read somewhere that the new CA test is able to determine if the car's tune is anything other than what it came with from the factory. Even loading another stock tune (BimmerLabs) would throw a flag. Not sure how they determine if anything other than the stock tune is CARB legal, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that BimmerLabs isn't approved.
Wow - screw California. I'd move.
      06-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
mct128i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i, 2019 X3, 2022 230i

Quote:
I can confirm that I did pass the new CA smog using one of the four stock tunes that Bimmerlabs lists - previously my car was running a Turner Motorsports tune that TMS told me would not pass so that's why I made the change. I sorta kinda wished I had tried passing smog with the TMS tune just to see what happened but I was short of time and uncertain about the consequences of a smog fail.

Much more info on the CARB methodology here: https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/41...tune-flash-faq
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Wow - screw California. I'd move.
Good news - I'm currently moving. Bad news - I'm moving to CA. Thank god I just renewed my SC plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct128i View Post
I can confirm that I did pass the new CA smog using one of the four stock tunes that Bimmerlabs lists - previously my car was running a Turner Motorsports tune that TMS told me would not pass so that's why I made the change. I sorta kinda wished I had tried passing smog with the TMS tune just to see what happened but I was short of time and uncertain about the consequences of a smog fail.

Much more info on the CARB methodology here: https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/41...tune-flash-faq
Interesting, thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
I realized something so I'm rewriting my reply. I thought the tune that I'm running is the bimmerlabs 328/330 tune but it's a 130 tune. Is there a way to check if this is CARB compliant? Since the 130 is not a US car, can we then assume that running that software on a 128 will get flagged during smog?

PS: For what its worth, I had a shop owner who has a 5 series tell me that his modified tune was not picked up by the smog shop. I'm assuming it was CARB compliant and I have no idea what the tune was, but I've called other shops and no one else has been able to give me a firm answer. It could be the situation of that shop owner is something quite different from mine which is why I'm trying to figure this out.

Last edited by unk045; 08-03-2022 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0