BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
E90SLAM's Avatar
Hong Kong
1420
Rep
61,728
Posts

Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Either a full on closed cockpit or leave it open.

HALO feels like a half-assed effort just to show that they're doing something.
Actually I think the first iteration that RBR did looked better than just the T-Bar.



I still prefer open cockpit. Halo was introduced to prevent harm to drivers like Bianchi and Massa. However, I think both are freak accidents in their own. And Halo is more of a knee-jerk solution.

2009, Massa was hit by Brawn GP's rear suspension spring. This itself was rare, there's more chances on loose tires/wheels during short pit stops.

2014, Bianchi's Marussia lost control and hit a recovery tractor under rain. Since then, race control would introduce VSC/SC depends on situation and make sure cars are slow enough and controllable under rain condition, and when there's a stranded car to recover. Make sure the procedures will protect both track marshals and drivers.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
inTgr8r's Avatar
Canada
1390
Rep
11,111
Posts

Drives: Porsche Cayman
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (10)

^ I'm not sure Bianchi's outcome would have been any different with a halo in place.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #25
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
five_timer's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The sport hasn't changed, this author is either too young to remember history or is ignoring it. Were was the outcry when Ferrari was dominating 2000 to 2004 or when Red Bull was dominating from 2010 to 2014. McLaren dominated with Senna and Prost. Mercedes wins two championships in a row and everyone is up in arms.
2001, 2002, and 2004 were the only Ferrari blowout years. In '03 Kimi was 2 points behind the champion.

In 2010 and 2012, Vettel won by 4 and 3 points, respectively. So, we have never had 3 successive blowout years before, but we are currently well into blowout year 3 for Mercedes. It is indeed unprecedented. Plus, there's no trending towards another team becoming competitive, let alone superior.

What we need is for the Merc guys to take each other out for each of the next 3 races, then maybe the fans will wake-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
five_timer's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Actually it's even worse than that. Of the 5 blowout seasons referenced, only 2 were 1-2 finishes. But we are now getting our 3rd consecutive 1-2 blowout.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #27
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Mtxzptlk's Avatar
652
Rep
1,084
Posts

Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: That somewhere over the rainbow

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Actually I think the first iteration that RBR did looked better than just the T-Bar.



I still prefer open cockpit. Halo was introduced to prevent harm to drivers like Bianchi and Massa. However, I think both are freak accidents in their own. And Halo is more of a knee-jerk solution.

2009, Massa was hit by Brawn GP's rear suspension spring. This itself was rare, there's more chances on loose tires/wheels during short pit stops.

2014, Bianchi's Marussia lost control and hit a recovery tractor under rain. Since then, race control would introduce VSC/SC depends on situation and make sure cars are slow enough and controllable under rain condition, and when there's a stranded car to recover. Make sure the procedures will protect both track marshals and drivers.
The Red Bull solution is actually a step up over the HALO. If something is required to be implemented, I'd take the aeroscreen over the HALO.

However, I'm not sure if something like Justin Wilson's mishap would've been prevented by the aeroscreen.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #28
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
1201
Rep
2,714
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Actually it's even worse than that. Of the 5 blowout seasons referenced, only 2 were 1-2 finishes. But we are now getting our 3rd consecutive 1-2 blowout.
You remember watching Schumi's championships. That was the f*cking worst. He clinched the championship in 2002 with 6 races to go. Two of his other five championships were clinched with 4 races to go. Mercedes finishes 1-2 because they have two number one drivers and prepare two number one cars. Ferrari always treated Barrichello like sh*t, making him pull over for Schumi. Giving him second rate equipment. Even then he still gave it to Schumi in a couple seasons.

At least Mercedes lets their drivers race and it isn't a one driver run-away championship like most of Schumi's seasons. This season will go down to the last race like two years ago. It will be fun to watch. But then again, I am not a Mercedes hater. If this was Ferrari going for three in a row, the media would be busting a nut.

Don't blame Mercedes for building superior cars. Ferrari has been churning out some crap wagons, that get progressively worse throughout the season. Red Bull has a superior chassis to Mercedes. When they get the powertrain to back it up, they will start winning races on a consistent basis.

2017 is bringing new rules package, many feel the grid will look a lot different next year. I am hoping McLaren can back up their recent claims that they will very close to Mercedes next year. They need to get back to where they were years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
E90SLAM's Avatar
Hong Kong
1420
Rep
61,728
Posts

Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ I'm not sure Bianchi's outcome would have been any different with a halo in place.
Sadly the result will be the same.
He crashed into a tractor made of steel. Its like hitting an egg onto an cast iron pan. Or crashing your bimmer into the high pickup or 18-wheeler end. I doubt the windshield and A pillar can help much in high speed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #30
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
five_timer's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
You remember watching Schumi's championships. That was the f*cking worst. He clinched the championship in 2002 with 6 races to go. Two of his other five championships were clinched with 4 races to go. Mercedes finishes 1-2 because they have two number one drivers and prepare two number one cars. Ferrari always treated Barrichello like sh*t, making him pull over for Schumi. Giving him second rate equipment. Even then he still gave it to Schumi in a couple seasons.

At least Mercedes lets their drivers race and it isn't a one driver run-away championship like most of Schumi's seasons. This season will go down to the last race like two years ago. It will be fun to watch. But then again, I am not a Mercedes hater. If this was Ferrari going for three in a row, the media would be busting a nut.

Don't blame Mercedes for building superior cars. Ferrari has been churning out some crap wagons, that get progressively worse throughout the season. Red Bull has a superior chassis to Mercedes. When they get the powertrain to back it up, they will start winning races on a consistent basis.

2017 is bringing new rules package, many feel the grid will look a lot different next year. I am hoping McLaren can back up their recent claims that they will very close to Mercedes next year. They need to get back to where they were years ago.
Yes I agree that it got pretty bad during the height of the Ferrari years, but with only one strong driver on the team, there's at least some interest in another team getting 2nd position. Not so with Mercedes right now.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST