BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Vendor Vs. Vendor Dyno What do you think?

I made the mistake of listening to hype and not going by dynos and I bought the DINAN tune and got less power than I could have. I am not totally bummed since I have the warranty, but as soon as I do not I will get a JB3 because I saw what it did on the Dyno.

I bought the AFE and fell for the hype and as soon as I put it on the car I knew it did not do what they claimed and I dyno'd the car and proved it.

I saw all the good things people had to say about RIss Down Pipes and dynos to prove the power. I bought there catch can so I trusted the company and bought the intake and dyno'd it and they told the truth.

I will not buy another product without seeing a member dyno it on there own car. If not I was thinking about maybe Vendor Vs. Vendor dyno with there products.

I was thinking we could use ICS Performance they are a well known BMW tuner. Lets use DP for an example( vendor 1 & 2 send there products to ICS and pay for the install and dyno. ICS runs the car for 4 runs, the winner gets paid for the product the install and the dyno run. The loser get his products sent back to him UPS ground. I would set this up with George and ICS and give them my car and I would pay for the winners part and I would pay ICS for the install and dyno.

What do you guys think?
      10-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

what does the Dinan software actually dyno at and did you do a baseline for before/after comparison on the same dyno?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

That old adage:-

The grass is always greener...
      10-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I agree with endless, Johnnyr you dont need 5 seperate threads for everything you think of.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
well back on topic(which is NOT about the AFE filter people...) I think that would be a cool thing to do. But it would have to be for things like tunes, downpipes, straight pipes, exhausts, etc, etc....I mean you can do CAI's or other intakes but there are so many variables that people either live by them or they detest them....if you can get vendors to do it I say do it...and while you are at it put in an email to Sport Compact Car so they can do a story on it!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I really don't think the intake dyno results were fair. There was a huge temp. difference between the two days. I would have to see a same day dyno, same conditions between Riss and the AFE.

Just my two cents.........
      10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
I really don't think the intake dyno results were fair. There was a huge temp. difference between the two days. I would have to see a same day dyno, same conditions between Riss and the AFE.

Just my two cents.........
its not just your two cents...

it's common sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

You have to take dynos with a grain of salt. You need the same exact car, same dyno, same altitude, same temp, etc and that is the only way to tell which products produce more power on a dyno. Doing multiple runs on a dyno back to back will even give you slightly different numbers. Buy what ever makes you happy and be happy dude, I really do not think AFE, Riss, Dinan, BMS would ever inflated their Dyno numbers!

To me a Dyno doesn't give you the engine note you may like the best, or the throttle response feel, or make you a better driver. They are just the numbers of that day and time.

I say go with mods that make you happy and don't blast others if they chose something different.
      10-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
From Terry at BMS, who has done extensive testing-dyno included, comes the following: "I've done quite a bit of testing at the track, and using a GPS based vbox to measure 40-120 times. The dual cone is worth at least 1mph at the track all else being equal, if boost levels are > 12psi. At stock boost levels the difference is nominal."(quoted from N54tech.com)

From that I take that on the street a dual cone intake would be close to worthless.....notice it is NOT effective unless you have a tune that makes the boost greater than 12psi.
Appreciate 0