BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #45
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

well than oiled filters shouldnt create much problems then...still not keen on oiled filters but long as they arnt over oiled shouldnt be an issue

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #46
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

I wouldn't run any intake modifications (not even a drop in) on a stock N54.

When I had Evos, I always found the stock airbox to be sufficient on the dyno and at the dragstrip. So I'm a huge fan of the stock airbox.

On the N54, its not the same. Take a look at the stock airbox design, its pretty restrictive compared to an Evo, and especially so if you consider its feeding a three liter six. The inlet size and path the air is forced to follow aren't ideal for extra power.

I went v3 early on my car and its high end power was a little tepid on the dyno. I resisted and resisted the intakes, but ended up trying them anyway. They are the Vishnu twin intakes. With the stage 1 map, the gains are pretty convincing so far on the street.

I haven't been on the dyno yet, but some will be unbelievers regardless.

I have a friend with a lightly modified C6 Vette that traps 113mph. On a closed course, I used to give about 2 and a half cars to him. With the intakes and the stage 1 map, he can only put a car on me. He was surprised, I was happy.

Anyway, oil intelligently. I love the intakes and highly recommend them on a tuned car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #47
hotpants
Private
Rep
Drives: MB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
well than oiled filters shouldnt create much problems then...still not keen on oiled filters but long as they arnt over oiled shouldnt be an issue
yeah im gonna need a chemical breakdown as well. i need proof the oil composition of air filters is more detrimental to the sensors on the car than the oil and blow by the stock system has circulating in there already. unless the issue was merely too much of the filter oil gunking up the sensors. which is plausible and will probably happen anyway on a stock car with a dry filter due to blow by.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #48
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

THE BLOW by usually gets dumped in after the intake filter so thats a totally different issue....thus the reason for catch cans....the oil on oiled filters yes does what you just said...gets gunk buildup on the sensors..producing CELS(check engine lights) and or bad performance by screwing a MAF up

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #49
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
THE BLOW by usually gets dumped in after the intake filter so thats a totally different issue....thus the reason for catch cans....the oil on oiled filters yes does what you just said...gets gunk buildup on the sensors..producing CELS(check engine lights) and or bad performance by screwing a MAF up
If you were to install an oil catch can you might notice that the crankcase blowby tube attaches onto the intake system behind the air filter, but upstream of the rear turbo.....so by sheer mechanics, the oil crankcase gases travel past the turbo, into the intercooler and then enter the throttle body upstream of the MAP sensor, which is located on top of the intake manifold.

Therefore, this is not a seperate issue at all.

Oil most often enters a MAF in the form of vapor via an engine’s PCV system. In an effort to lower emissions, positive crankcase ventilation systems draw fuel and oil vapors from the crankcase, and reintroduces them into the intake system upstream of air flow metering devices. When a throttle body or airflow meter needs cleaning, the oily film that is removed is largely a product of this system.

In fact, if you were ever to pull off one of your intercooler connection pipes, you would probably be able to see engine oil dripping out of it!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #50
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

As much as it may look like it'd be "worse than stock on a flowbench", the Riss Racing intakes are high performance stuff! I've only heard positive reviews and i've even seen those in person. These are actually one of our top selling intakes for the 1-series right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
I've seen contradicting reports on pretty much every intake.

Looks wise, AFE dual cone setup looks beautiful, however they say one thing and actual numbers say another.

Riss is known in this community as being good stuff, but the riss intake LOOKS like it'd be worse than stock on a flowbench.

I dont really care if hp stays the same persay, just dont want to LOSE power, hoping to pick up a bit better fuel economy and perhaps hear turbo spool a bit better.

Anyone have recommendations? I am going to be too lazy to try anything like a cold air, but shortram with a box or something I'll give a whirl.

What have your experiences been?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #51
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you (or you have the dealer) install an AFE Dual Filter Cold Air Intake, does this void all your BMW warrenties?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #52
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybmw View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you (or you have the dealer) install an AFE Dual Filter Cold Air Intake, does this void all your BMW warrenties?
The dealer cannot void your warranty for an aftermarket intake unless they can prove that specific intake caused damage during a warranty claim.

Most of this is covered in the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@eas View Post
The dealer cannot void your warranty for an aftermarket intake unless they can prove that specific intake caused damage during a warranty claim.

Most of this is covered in the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #54
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
If you were to install an oil catch can you might notice that the crankcase blowby tube attaches onto the intake system behind the air filter, but upstream of the rear turbo.....so by sheer mechanics, the oil crankcase gases travel past the turbo, into the intercooler and then enter the throttle body upstream of the MAP sensor, which is located on top of the intake manifold.

Therefore, this is not a seperate issue at all.

Oil most often enters a MAF in the form of vapor via an engine’s PCV system. In an effort to lower emissions, positive crankcase ventilation systems draw fuel and oil vapors from the crankcase, and reintroduces them into the intake system upstream of air flow metering devices. When a throttle body or airflow meter needs cleaning, the oily film that is removed is largely a product of this system.

In fact, if you were ever to pull off one of your intercooler connection pipes, you would probably be able to see engine oil dripping out of it!
if you read the post before mine you will see what i was referring to...trust me i know all about PCV systems and how they work...installed many catch cans on VWs and Audi's yes no matter what you will have small amounts of oil in the intercooler piping...very small amounts unless one of the systems isnt working correctly...i was telling him that the BLOW by gases that a catch helps cut down on...is a different issue than the oil from an air filter can produce and foul maf sensors thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #55
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
if you read the post before mine you will see what i was referring to...trust me i know all about PCV systems and how they work...installed many catch cans on VWs and Audi's yes no matter what you will have small amounts of oil in the intercooler piping...very small amounts unless one of the systems isnt working correctly...i was telling him that the BLOW by gases that a catch helps cut down on...is a different issue than the oil from an air filter can produce and foul maf sensors thanks
I did read this entire thread!

My point is that unless you have taken steps to intercept the crankcase blowby, like an oil catch can, then your sensors are more likely to be contaminated by engine oil than filter oil.

I know you checked out the K&N links posted earlier because you immediately labelled them as bogus.

However, it's a pretty compelling demonstration when they force 1000 cfm through an oiled filter for 3 days straight and find no filter oil contamination whatsoever using highly calibrated scientific measuring equipment.

You yourself admit to seeing the intake system contaminated with engine oil. Why would only filter oil be a source of sensor contamination given that there is a much higher volume of crankcase oil flowing through the system?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #56
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

IMO Here is the problem... When the car is being Dyno'ed air is stagnate and does not circulate into the HOOD correctly. In real world conditions fresh air at speed BMS Intake especially on a cold night turns my car into a Beast from my experience with (SSTT). I agree from a stand still on a lift, BMS intake will suffer heat soak. Practical situation IE on the move, fresh air circulates into the engine which prevents heat soak. N54 produces alot of heat, Dyno numbers arent accurate IMO.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #57
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

each dyno is different, each setting is different, each condition is different. No one can really write a product off as bad because there are TOO many varibles that affect everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #58
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Not going to knock anything out there. But I will say the OEM intake is VERY VERY good. I see no reason to replace it, yet......
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #59
hotpants
Private
Rep
Drives: MB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Not going to knock anything out there. But I will say the OEM intake is VERY VERY good. I see no reason to replace it, yet......
gotta disagree here too. an intake system that takes air around the engine is not a good design. it looks like a nascar race track. the piping to the turbo's needs to be rerouted somehow and someway.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #60
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

to reply we were talking about the blowby gases affecting the MAF SENSORS look at the location of a typical MAF sensor...connects usually to the intake filter via a MAF housing that is also a coupler to the air intake filter...and the way the maf element faces(towards the intake filter!)that the actual maff element is what gets coated with crap and what fouls it is the oil coming from a air FILTER!!! no way in hell does the blow by gases make thier way infront of the air intake filter...dude seriously you shouldnt question me on this issue...(not saying i know everything but i do about this topic) this is a dead issue anyway since our cars are MAP based and dont rely on the MAF readings

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #61
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Oiled filters DO contaminate MAF sensors. Oil mist from the crank case will never get near the MAF sensor. The PCV re-route is downstream from the filter & MAF.

Thankfully we don't have MAF sensors so we don't have to be arguing about it anyhow!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #62
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #63
qstix
Rep
Drives:

if it's just noise you're after, why not just drill the original airbox, was popular on the UK Audi TT scene, called the WAK box:

http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

Worth a punt I'm sure..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #64
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

lol haha i remember that...the cheese box method....some said it wrked great... not IMO

Appreciate 0