BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #23
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
Fouling of the sensors by oiled filters was extensively tested by K&N and debunked.

Very eye-opening video :eyebulge: about high airflow testing which you guys might appreciate.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/2MAFSensorVideo.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/4MAFSensorVideo.htm

BTW...I do not endorse K&N products in any way. I have the BMS dual cone intake and I think it rocks. I just redirected the stock CAI snorkel to shoot the cold air uptake from the front grills directly onto the cones.

Sure there is a bit of heatsoak when the car is standing still....but this is true of any true CAI system due to the radiant heat affecting the tubing via conduction. Once the car is moving, the cold airflow overcomes the conduction effect.
Sorry to disagree, but I know many many people who have suffered the dreaded K&N MAF sensor failure.
      10-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #24
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I know many many people who have suffered the dreaded K&N MAF sensor failure.
Are the people who experience issues having problems after they install the factory oiled K&N or is it after they do a cleaning and re-oiling?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Both. I'm sure many people over oil their filters...that's a given. personally, I have never had a problem with a K&N drop-in and sensor failure.

My complaint has been K&N lets too many particulates into my engine. That's another discussion.
      10-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #26
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
has anyone with the RR intake done before and after dynos? Just wondering ..

Crowley
NO, NO, and again NO...and that is a problem with ALL of these filters. I have yet to see a true independent dyno on ANY of them (with just the intake alone tested on a stock vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #27
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List

I WOULD love to see that!
      10-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #28
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Seems to me that unless some of the people you know actually performed a chemical analysis to look for contamination from air filter oil, then all anyone can say with certainty is that their MAF failed. The cause being air filter oil is at most speculation.

If the oil contaminates the sensors, then all of the oiled air filter products being offered should be prone to the same fate. AFE, BMS, K&N, RR etc, as they all use an oiled filter.

In those video clips it was apparent that many of the auto dealers were falsely blaming the aftermarket parts market out of ignorance and as an easy way out of warranty claims. Dealers don't do chemical spectrometry either....they just look at your performance intake and blame that instead.

Hey...that kind of sounds familiar doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Seems to me that unless some of the people you know actually performed a chemical analysis to look for contamination from the air filter oil, then all anyone can say with certainty is that their MAF failed. The cause being air filter oil is at most speculation.

If the oil contaminates the sensors, then all of the oiled air filter products being offered should be prone to the same fate. AFE, BMS, K&N, RR etc, as they all use an oiled filter.

In those video clips it was apparent that many of the auto dealers were falsely blaming the aftermarket parts market out of ignorance and as an easy way out of warranty claims.

Hey...that kind of sounds familiar doesn't it?
Umm...RR uses a dry filter buddy...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Umm...RR uses a dry filter buddy...
Thanks for the put-down! You certainly make a compelling point!

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #31
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^Wasnt meant to be a put down...just a correction my fellow 1addict
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #32
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Gruppe...not sure what kind of filter element they ship it with though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #33
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
^^^Wasnt meant to be a put down...just a correction my fellow 1addict
Thank-you for that correction, but the picture of the RR intake (taken from their website) definitely shows a K&N oiled filter. You may notice the red hue indicating the presence of filter oil. Therefore, I am puzzled by your statement that their filter is dry.

Not to be anal, but in my experience when debating an issue and someone refers to you as their "buddy", it is not usually intended as a gesture of friendship, so I take that label with a grain of salt and as such, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Sorry, but I'm sensitive to that....it's not your fault.

I am just offering my opinion about intakes and debating them based on as much fact and logic as possible......in no way do I claim to be right about any of this so I apologize to those who have experienced a faulty sensor and firmly believe an oiled filter was the cause.

I just have to wonder whether the dealers blame these aftermarket air filters out of convenience and spread more rumour than fact about them.

I love my BMS dual intake...but initially I was against oiled filters and the heatsoak potential of an open element design. I have to admit though that turbo compression probably raises the intake temperatures a lot more than the engine bay does, and BMW states that the stock intercooler lowers the intake air temperature by up to 80 degrees C. That means that even the stock CAI design needs an intercooler to drop the temperature and density of the intake air. So what does that tell you about cold air intakes on turbocharged engines?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #34
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
My answer about the RR intake was said because of this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Riss Racing View Post
The K&N we are testing tomorrow will be DRY. We're going to test both and give results. The filter is pretty big so the test should go well. We've had the intake installed on one of our Vishnu V3 cars and the thing pulls hard. The owner had Dual Cones but said the throttle response was better and was very smooth. Will try to get a dyno in the afternoon. Thanks!
BTW if you thought that this debate had a negative overtone then I could understand that you thought I was being cynical. I personally never thought it was at that level...but to each their own...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #35
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Seems to me that unless some of the people you know actually performed a chemical analysis to look for contamination from air filter oil, then all anyone can say with certainty is that their MAF failed. The cause being air filter oil is at most speculation.

I have four friends, each has an identical car. Two replace the stock filter with a K&N drop-in and have sensor problems. Also given different oils, air flow, and design...I wouldn't make the assumption that if one mfg causes problems they all should. :iono:
      10-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
"Wasnt meant to be a put down...just a correction my fellow 1addict"

"Thanks for the put-down! You certainly make a compelling point!"

Listen you guys!!! :biggrin:

We are only having this discussion because we are a bunch of sick, anal 1 addicts!

:drinking:
      10-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I have to admit though that turbo compression probably raises the intake temperatures a lot more than the engine bay does, and BMW states that the stock intercooler lowers the intake air temperature by up to 80 degrees C. That means that even the stock CAI design needs an intercooler to drop the temperature and density of the intake air. So what does that tell you about cold air intakes on turbocharged engines?
Umm...If you have a good CAI design you also need a better IC to get the most out of it? (BTW I am NOT a pro on engine design and turbo's) Just figured I would venture a guess...LOL:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #38
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

Quote:
I have four friends.
You should try getting out more! :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
You should try getting out more! :wink:
I know many people, I have four friends :wink:
      10-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #40
sp0nger
Rep
Drives:

EVERY time i drive with my buddy he makes the blow off valve WOOOSH sound every time i shift.. its HILARIOUS

he tells me all the time put a bov on this thing

..then i just call him a ricer
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #41
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I switched out my AFE intake for a Riss intake today and I am so glad that I did. It feels amazing
      10-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #42
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I WOULD love to see that!
Well here you go.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014

The results would suggest that the Intercooler more than offsets the hot air drawn in by open filter intakes as compared to temperatures experienced with the stock BMW cold air intake.

So I reiterate my previous point which was if the stock cold air intake does such a good job then why is there an intercooler to begin with?

To quote BMW's own technical paper..."The charge air is greatly heated when compressed in the turbocharger, making it necessary for the air to be cooled again in an intercooler".

BMW's own literature states that the stock intercooler reduces intake temperatures by up to 80 degress celsius. That's 176 fahrenheit! "The charge air heated in the turbocharger by its component temperature and by compression is cooled in the intercooler by up to 80 C"
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #43
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

big intercooler(s),water injection,better intake gaskets(thick insualted or special material) are far better at cooling temps than any intake will ever do on a turbo charged car...the turbo creates a ton of heat as is. and are you guys positive our 135i's are MAP based instead of MAF based....as i dont have my 135i yet i cant pop the hood and look...

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #44
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

yea no MAF. we havea TMAP sensor

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0