BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Another catless downpipe thread

I put this on E90 post, but I thought I'd mirror it here since I have a 135i and not a 335i. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I know there are a ton of threads, I've read most all of them. But I have a couple of more specific questions:

I have a v3 PROcede car with Vishnu intakes. I like that the car is really strong but also quiet. I have a wife who is getting less and less enthusiastic about me having loud cars. My Evos were pretty darned loud.

What I am looking for are solid dyno gains with what I already have installed and extremely minimal increase of exhaust volume.

I'm looking at the Ultimate Racing catless downpipes. I've used their products in the past with great results.

So here are my questions:

1) Have other PROcede users tried downpipes with an otherwise stock exhaust and seen good gains?

2) Is the sound increase on an otherwise stock exhaust going to be annoying, barely able to notice, or somewhere in between?

3) Will I throw a CEL? What are you doing to resolve this?

Thanks a ton in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

1.there are gains to be had if you remove any restrictive device from the car. they will be substantial compared to an intake or just a catback exhaust.
2. it will be slightly louder and i understand there will be a little more drone in the stock sound. you wont notice because its a car made after 2000 and theres a good amount of sound insulation.
3. unless procede has the option to code out(im not familiar with it) the check engine light, riss racing has an O2 sim that will eliminate the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
1.there are gains to be had if you remove any restrictive device from the car. they will be substantial compared to an intake or just a catback exhaust.
2. it will be slightly louder and i understand there will be a little more drone in the stock sound. you wont notice because its a car made after 2000 and theres a good amount of sound insulation.
3. unless procede has the option to code out(im not familiar with it) the check engine light, riss racing has an O2 sim that will eliminate the CEL.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have clarified a bit. I'm not a car modding newb. I've done turbo-backs on WRXes and Evos, and they are substantially louder. I just thought pulling the front cats might be annoying to some degree on sound, but was hopeful the back catalyst and stock muffler would protect it from being too much.

I guess I just wanted to see end user testimonies or dyno gains on a mapped car independent of any manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

1. I have downpipes with the stock exhaust, and you will see good gains. However, there is still a restriction with the stock exhaust. So, the e90 guys will probably report back better gains that what you will see. But also, because we have a more restrictive exhaust, I'm expecting the RR exhaust to provide greater gains that what would normally be expected.

2. The sound is great. Not loud, but noticeable. I think it's very unlikely to be an issue for you. Also, I don't notice any drone.

3. It will throw a CEL, but it's an easy fix. Find the DIY on e90 post. Seriously, I spent the $75 or whatever on the BMS fix (early on, before I bought V3) and it was a waste. To make a long story short, I didn't have it with me when I needed it, and we make our own. It really is a simple, $2 fix (talk about mark-ups :eyebulge. The only thing is that you will not have the nice little box.:smile: Unfortunetly, mine is now a paperweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
I put this on E90 post, but I thought I'd mirror it here since I have a 135i and not a 335i. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I know there are a ton of threads, I've read most all of them. But I have a couple of more specific questions:

I have a v3 PROcede car with Vishnu intakes. I like that the car is really strong but also quiet. I have a wife who is getting less and less enthusiastic about me having loud cars. My Evos were pretty darned loud.

What I am looking for are solid dyno gains with what I already have installed and extremely minimal increase of exhaust volume.

I'm looking at the Ultimate Racing catless downpipes. I've used their products in the past with great results.

So here are my questions:

1) Have other PROcede users tried downpipes with an otherwise stock exhaust and seen good gains?

2) Is the sound increase on an otherwise stock exhaust going to be annoying, barely able to notice, or somewhere in between?

3) Will I throw a CEL? What are you doing to resolve this?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I have not used UR DP's, but have tried the RR DP's and the noise level was PURRRFECT! Not to loud when driving around town, but when you step on it expect it to scream.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

1. Yes, good gains to be had with downpipes on an otherwise stock car.
2. Noticable to you, but your wife may not even notice during normal driving.
3. Using Burger Tuning O2 sims here. Very well made product, 100% bolt on. You don't have to cut a single wire to install these.
Appreciate 0