BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #45
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Congrats Metak, on your wheels and family decisions. Good man!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #46
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
So it was with a heavy heart that I had to part with the 1M but it went to a good home/great guy who is a forum member here. Last year our insurance denied 2 pieces of equipment my son needed before he could go to school where he would receive physical therapy for his cerebral palsy. The total equipment cost.....over $16,000USD! Faced with the choice of dipping into our savings or selling some of my stocks I decided to sell the 1M which had equity and was almost paid off. I got several PM/emails inquiring as to the reason for the sale. Why sell a car with only 4k miles and after 13mos of ownership? A car so many people would give there left kidney for. Did I not like the car anymore? etc.

The fact of the matter is, the car is awesome, but my son is more awesome! He and his identical twin brother are more important than any inanimate object! One was born perfectly healthy, the other with mild CP. So I wanted to share pictures of my son with his new wheels! Here he is with his new shocker green gait trainer. It's kinda like a wheel chair but he is in a standing position with no seat and an impact suspension to absorb bumps and help make his walking more fluid. It ultimately helps build strength in his weak legs.

Attachment 815889

I knew I was going to get back into another car within the first few months of 2013, just didn't know what. I came VERY, VERY close to a used Panamera GTS. It was the only Porsche that could seat 4 comfortably and still retain some level of sportiness/performance, but I have been driving BMW's for so many years and just couldn't stay away. This car is would be our third car(household) so it doesn't need to be multi-purpose, four-door or "practical", just needs to be a four seater. The only BMW that still excited me was the M3. I had a 2008 sedan for 3yrs and really liked it. The coupe made it feel like I wasn't getting the same exact car.

So the coupe it was! CF roof, Speed Cloth, Carbon Leather dash, spoiler delete and SAT radio. That's it! I know what the next question is, which do you like more? The 1M or M3?

First off, the 1M is the biggest paradox! This car is so limited (only 740 in the US), so special that one doesn't want to drive it in the rain, you want to keep the miles as low as possible. It's been praised by dozens of journalists as the second coming of ///M! But damn, this car is really good as a daily driver. It feels quite comfortable in the daily grind. Much more so than the M3. It is so easy to maneuver in traffic with the gobs of torque on hand, you can effortlessly overtake someone and most importantly do it without announcing it to everyone within a 1/4mile radius while your engine is screaming at 8400rpm.

The M3 on the other hand, is so common(at least in CA), with production numbers in the tens of thousands+, that there really is no point in trying to "save" it as any sort of collectible. This car however however feels a little more underwhelming than the 1M in daily traffic. Don't get me wrong, you can go just as fast, but not without looking like a lunatic as you wind the car out like it was meant to be. What makes the M3 special and a reason to keep the miles low and you want to save it for "yourself" to enjoy for many years to come, is the engine. This engine is the last of it's kind. Going from my daily driver(Lexus LS) to the M3(which I drive a couple times a week) it really is a treat. I could'nt nor would I want to drive it everyday. It loses the special-ness, you get used to the "in traffic" power quickly.

To summarize, I'm glad to be back in a BMW, too bad it's not a 1M but the M3, even though it's been around since '08 is still not too shabby!

Mods on the car before I even get my plates from DMV:

-BMW Inconel® M Performance Exhaust
-OEM F10 lighted shift knob
-DINAN Stage2 Suspension
-DINAN CF Intake
-Expel Clear Bra

Here is a few pics:

Gone but not forgotten:

which AE's did you have on your 1M if you don't mind me asking?
      02-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattryan View Post
which AE's did you have on your 1M if you don't mind me asking?
His 1M had 6500K LUX AngelEyes:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...2#post11551992

See especially about the 5000K LUX AE (versus 6500K LUX AE) for the 1M: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657670
      02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #48
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
A couple pics I took last weekend on the way home from EuroSunday.

Props Sir.

Where where those pics taken at? I want to go there too

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #49
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Epic! This is what being human is all about; helping each other and the ones we love! Congrats on the new rides that's so awesome!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #50
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
No, a cynic would say, he sold the car instead of dipping into his savings...... As opposed to, sold the car because I had no other means...... This was never a car vs son choice, but really car vs savings account.

good to hear the backstory, and yes, cool wheels for kids over cool wheels for dad. Pretty much every parent here on this board would make that choice,yes.

congrats to your son. Mr Metak.
Exactly! For me I could have bought the equipment and kept the car, but it didn't feel right driving that car around while draining my emergency/savings. Or making my kid wait 4-5months(an eternity to a young developing brain) to gather the funds.

So, I appreciate all the great support and comments from EVERYONE but anyone with a kid realizes this is a no-brainer! I almost feel weird accepting any praise for something that just comes naturally. instinctively with a parents love for a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Props Sir.

Where where those pics taken at? I want to go there too
I took these on the way home on Sierra College Blvd going towards Lincoln. It's a private subway tunnel(on the left side) for the train that run parallel to the road. Great spot for a photoshoot IMO.

Too
      02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #51
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

thank you. Found it

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #52
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Sounds like you have it together.

Your family is lucky to have such wonderful father and husband!

Neil
+1
Appreciate 0