BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2024, 07:20 AM   #1
markkhodges
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E88 135i

GS6-53BZ/DZ manual trans accidental bolt/pin removal

Hi all, I'm probably worried about nothing, but I was changing my trans oil on my E88 135i N54 manual for the first time and I stupidly unscrewed the wrong bolt I mistook for the filler bolt. I've highlighted the one in the attached photo. It's more than just a bolt - it's tapered down to a point at the end and looks like it does some kind of locating inside the housing. Looking at schematics I think maybe this is one of the pins that the shiftforks use to pivot on??

The dumbest thing is I had to get real creative tool-wise to even get to it. Managed to use a torx socket with a ratcheting ring spanner attached because the bolt was so close to the trans tunnel. I was thinking how stupid is the engineering, but having recently changed the water pump and thermostat it kinda didn't surprise me.

Anyways I need to go buy a proper tool to reinstall it because my 50mm long torx socket won't go on now it's completely unscrewed. To remove I was able to crack it and then loosen by hand, but now it's out I can't seem to get it going on the thread by hand.

Assuming I get a low profile tool to tighten again, should I be ok to just reinstall it? I'm hoping the tapered end on the bolt will help locate it back to the correct place?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 11:38 PM   #2
markkhodges
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E88 135i

Well I got my own answer. I found a great blog a guy wrote here
https://www.kasutamu.eu/en/how-to-di...6-53dz-gearbox

He had full schematics and also photos and found the bolt was connected to the shift fork.

I made a shorter T50 tool so I could access it a little better and bolted in back in no problems. Wasn't able to get a specific torque on it so just did good and tight.

Anyway all seems to be ok now but guess I'll leave this here if it's helpful to some other clod in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
spidertri397.50
clueby4110.50