BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
hpcaub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
wax, polish and claybar new paintjob?

Hello all,
I recently had my monaco blue 2008 135i repainted. The paint job was quite expensive, but the car came out beautiful! I'm now wondering about the best way to protect the new paint. The car has only been driven a few times since the paint job, mostly it's been sitting in my garage. I have yet to do anything other than wash it a couple times.

How should I protect the paint? Clay bar then wax? Wax or polish? Ceramic or other new/fancy wax or carnuba?

I'm also considering a wrap or invisible bra on the front and rocker panels, but haven't decided for sure yet.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Off the top you really don't want to touch it for a while in any way at all. I think eventually washing is OK and then waxing but it's supposed to sit for a bit to totally cure. Well maybe that's old school and things are different now. Either way I wouldn't think there's anything for a clay bar to remove and might skip that altogether. As for wax there are 1,001 options, at least.

I'd ask the place that painted it...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
hpcaub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The paint has cured for over 60 days, and unfortunately my paint guy is sick and has been nonresponsive for awhile. I'll keep searching around and asking some of the detailing products companies to get an educated answer.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

How much was the paint job? I'd like to do a glass-out respray of mine eventually.

You definitely should not need to clay bar anything unless it's been sitting under a tree or exposed to road tar. You'll get endless opinions about whether ceramic coating is better than waxing. I just spent 20+ hours correcting my paint and decided just to keep waxing. I don't see that ceramic coating is really any better, it just lasts longer. I don't mind waxing enough to go through the hassle of applying a ceramic coating.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0