BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
6FL option (USB) & iPod

Hi all

Anyone else in ZA ordered their 1er with the 6FL (USB audio interface) option?

Forsdicks Sandton gave me a useless little USB extension cable instead of the proper iPod USB Y-cable that is required to get the iPod to work properly and it seems nobody there knows anything about the USB interface.

I've actually sent them photos of the cable which BMW North America have the good sense to supply with all vehicles fitted with the 6FL option, but haven't been able to track a part code for it.

Has anyone else in ZA managed to source this cable? Or did your dealer supply it with your vehicle?

In the mean time I've copied some music onto a regular memory stick and it works a treat, but a lot of my favorites are DRM-encoded and therefore won't play without the proper iPod integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Hey gmza

Sorry man i didn't order mine with the iPod thing, but if Forsdicks doesn't sort you out by Wednesday's send me a PM and ill get the guys from BMW SA to look into it for you. I think they will need your VIN to get all the details on your order.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Guys how about a formal meet for all 1 addicts of Mzansi... Get to know each other...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Sounds great. but lets descuss this in the 1ADDICTS in SA thread?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
BiBiGti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I have ordered mine with the Ipod option. Only getting car next week, so will have to wait and see ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

HI Gmza,

I have the usb option in my car and I also only got the usb extension cable. The Y adapter can be bought through Bmw. I phoned the Menlyn branch and they sent me pics on the 3 different models they do.

The one is a standard mini jack to mini jack the other the Y adapter and the last one looks like a complete integration kit.

Pricing starts from R 300 for the mini jack jobbie and R 1200 for the Yadapter and about R4K for the integration kit.

Dont know if anyone here has some weight they can throw around at Bmw. The Y cable seems extremely expensive.

Hope this helps
      07-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Part number for the Y-Cable to use with 6FL is Part No. 61 12 0 440 796 :smile:

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Thanks for all this info!

Just before reading this, Forsdicks contacted me to say they had ordered and received the cable and want R1250 for it. Needless to say I'm taking up the battle with the service manager and DP as this is nonesense and I have a BMW North America bulletin showing that BMW NA supply this cable as part of the 6FL option.

I have tried speaking to BMW SA Customer Care. They are entirely clueless. If I don't win with Forsdicks, I'll lodge a formal complaint with BMW SA and fax them all the paperwork so that they can hopefully pass it beyond the call centre to someone who actually has a clue.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
BiBiGti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hi gmza

Let me know please. It is ridiculous that BMW rush us R2800 for this option and then we have to buy the cable for a further 1250. MAD. I will second you in this fight ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
BiBiGti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmza View Post
Thanks for all this info!

Just before reading this, Forsdicks contacted me to say they had ordered and received the cable and want R1250 for it. Needless to say I'm taking up the battle with the service manager and DP as this is nonesense and I have a BMW North America bulletin showing that BMW NA supply this cable as part of the 6FL option.

I have tried speaking to BMW SA Customer Care. They are entirely clueless. If I don't win with Forsdicks, I'll lodge a formal complaint with BMW SA and fax them all the paperwork so that they can hopefully pass it beyond the call centre to someone who actually has a clue.
Did you win?
I just picked up my car - same problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
No luck as yet. Neither BMW SA nor the Forsdicks DP have come back to me since my email to them setting out the issue and the telephonic discussions I had last week were mostly useless.

I haven't chased it up this week though as I've had bigger fish to fry.

If you feel like taking it further, write to customer.service@bmw.co.za and lodge a complaint like I did. Perhaps if they have two similar complaints on record, they may take it a little more seriously.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
FYI, this is what I sent:

---
ATTN: Neil Turner - Forsdicks Sandton & BMW SA Customer Service

Dear Sirs

PURCHASE ISSUE (6FL OPTION)

On 18 July 2008, I purchased a BMW 135i Coupe (E82) from Forsdicks Sandton, fitted with the 6FL USB Audio Interface, a R2,800 option. For reference purposes, I attach hereto the invoice which shows the chassis numbers, purchase date, confirmation of options, etc. This is the fourth BMW I have purchased from Forsdicks dealerships and the third BMW I have purchased from Forsdicks Sandton specifically.

I ordered the 6FL option based on the understanding that it would allow the radio to interface with my Apple iPod and the additional documentation found on page 57 of the BMW 1-series Coupe brochure as printed by BMW South Africa and provided to me by Forsdicks Sandton. The brochure clearly states that this option is for "connection of a USB stick or MP3 player" and goes on the describe the integration functionality. I've attached a scan of the applicable page hereto for your reference. Note that the Apple iPod is the by far the most popular MP3 player sold in both the SA and global markets. Also note that the picture depicting the 6FL option includes a USB jack, trademark white iPod CABLE and under-armrest pouch.

The only cable supplied with my vehicle was a USB extension cable which is only used when connecting a USB memory stick to prevent the arm-rest from crushing it when folded down. That cable is mostly intended for the 3-series model where the USB interface faces upwards and is much closer to the armrest and is, in fact, not even required on the 1-Series Coupe unless using an unusually shaped USB stick. In any case, that cable does not serve to connect an MP3 player as depicted in the brochure.

In order to connect an Apple iPod to the 6FL USB interface one actually has to use a "Y-cable":

[I inserted a photo of the cable at this point]

This was not supplied with my vehicle nor was it communicated to me before or at time of order or even at time of delivery that this would be required and would NOT be supplied. Forsdicks are now asking for an additional fee of R1,250 for this cable.

Please find attached a BMW USA bulletin that confirms that the above cable is supplied with all BMW cars fitted with the 6FL option in that region. I obtained this bulletin AFTER TAKING DELIVERY of my car during my attempts to discover why my car would not talk to my iPod. It is, nonetheless, quite telling to note that BMW USA understood their customers' requirement for this cable to be provided.

The 6FL is an expensive option and it is unacceptable that it is not supplied with the necessary cables required to make use of it as stated in the BMW SA brochure and as depicted in said brochure. At very least, if the cables were not going to be included, the brochure should have stated: "Optional cables may be required." This is particularly relevant since it claims to be a USB interface, yet, does NOT work with the USB interface cable supplied with the Apple iPod!

I've had an extended discussion with Erick Gauche at BMW SA about this. He expressed the opinion that the dealership is responsible for advising customers of the manner in which various options function prior to concluding an order. He also claimed that BMW SA provides the dealerships with product information, including information on the 6FL option and the required cables and that this should have been found on FocusPro. Naturally, he deferred all responsibility for this dispute to Forsdicks. What he failed to acknowlege was that the information he refers to was only loaded by BMW SA on the FocusPro system AFTER MY VEHICLE WAS ORDERED. Jenny therefore had to work off the same information that I was working off at the time, ie. the brochure supplied by BMW SA. Erick also claimed that the pictures in the brochure are irrelevant; I refuse to accept this: the brochure is a form of advertisement and any misleading picture is, in my opinion, a fraudulent misrepresentation. What is next? Showing a picture of an E90 3-series and supplying an E46 instead?

In any case, Erick's suggestion that BMW SA bears no responsibility for this issue is absurd. BMW Germany, BMW SA and the dealer (in this case Forsdicks Sandton) have a joint obligation to ensure the products they sell are according to specification, sold in an honest manner and supported and serviced appropriately.

I have a simple requirement: that the correct cable is supplied to me at no charge so that I may use the feature I paid for as intended.

I am not interested in any further apportioning of blame between Forsdicks and BMW SA. As a solid and repeat customer, my primary remedy (but by no means the only one) - in the event of this resolution not being secured - shall be jointly effective against both: no future purchases of BMW vehicles.

In the mean time, I'll leave you (ie. both Forsdicks Sandton and BMW SA) to consider whether short-changing a repeat customer on a R1,250 cable (retail price -- cost to you is even less) during the purchase of a R432,000 vehicle makes good business sense? Think about the loss of goodwill, loss of future business, and what the cost to you will be if I relate my frustrations to every potential BMW buyer I know and meet and describe my experience on every BMW enthusiasts' forum versus the benefit of me referring the same potential buyers to you and singing praise.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
I've just received this from my sales person.

> I’ve managed to sort out the cable issue.
> Would you please come and collect the cable from me?

BiBiGTI - I hope this helps you to get yours too! :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Hey! Glad it worked out for you. I think the US is the only market to get the ipod cable included with 6FL. Now we can add SA, if you know the right buttons to push! :smile:
Appreciate 0