BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #45
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
So, reading the responses to the original question, the answer seems to be.............Almost Nobody is going this route.
It's very unlikely that this sight provides an accurate picture of the "average" consumer. There just aren't enough of us here.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #46
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

I would say that many people might be tempted... like me. :smile:

I am not your average performance-car aficionado... I am a girl, in my 30s and I would not have thought of owning a BMW till now... I don't particularly want a luxury car, just a small car that drives well. Before I could only think of maybe a GLI or GTI, now I can finally add BMW to that list.

I think others like would be tempted with a "bare bones" 128, which already has more niceties than I would imagine getting otherwise... but you probably won't find them roaming around these types of forums...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #47
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
thanks... any way of getting the same tires all over? either when ordering or aftermarket?

otherwise how do you deal with not being able to rotate them? I've never had different tires so I am not sure what this implies in terms of wear/maintenance
If you're getting the SP, you have to get the staggered wheel/tire sizes. Which means new wheels if you want the same size at both ends. (The only real advantage here is a bit less understeer.)

As far as rotation is concerned, you'll probably wear out 2 sets of rear tires to every one pair of fronts, so just replace as necessary.

And watch out for our DC area potholes!

Tom K.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #48
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
As far as rotation is concerned, you'll probably wear out 2 sets of rear tires to every one pair of fronts, so just replace as necessary. And watch out for our DC area potholes!
Thanks Tom! Yes, I am thinking of SP... I like to feel the road! Plus I want my sports seats! In any case, if wearing the back tires faster is the only problem, it's all good!

I hope I won't start getting more flats tho, our roads are a definite mess... plus I go to Baltimore often and it's almost worse, if there is such a thing...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #49
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
Thanks Tom! Yes, I am thinking of SP... I like to feel the road! Plus I want my sports seats! In any case, if wearing the back tires faster is the only problem, it's all good!

I hope I won't start getting more flats tho, our roads are a definite mess... plus I go to Baltimore often and it's almost worse, if there is such a thing...
Actually the rear tire wear seems to be a function of rear wheel drive (not the SP) and the near 50/50 weight distribution found on BMWs. Lots of folks are so used to front wheel drive, they take tire rotation and higher front tire wear for granted. In the past, BMW has not recommended tire rotation - unless it's done every 3~5,000 miles or so. Not having staggered wheels (until my 128i cabrio arrives) I've generally rotated tires once, halfway through their life.

I don't see you getting more flats - but be aware that 17" and larger wheels are more prone to road damage. I had 3 of the 4 wheels on my '99 sedan bent within 2 years commuting through Takoma Park & northeast on New Hampshire Ave. - although the wheels are still usable. And my wife replaces at least one wheel every other year on her Saab, due to our wonderful roads!

And in Baltimore - you're on your own!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #50
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Actually the rear tire wear seems to be a function of rear wheel drive (not the SP)

I don't see you getting more flats - but be aware that 17" and larger wheels are more prone to road damage.
of course, I understand it's because of RWD but if the wheels were all the same I would be able to rotate the tires to make them wear out more evenly... my last set of tires got damaged because I obviously did not do it often enough...

I would gladly stay with 16" wheels but then I wouldn't get the other benefits of the SP!
Appreciate 0