BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

nebby, M3Dragon,

What typically makes successful car meet event? (other than reliable execution)

T-shirts?
Good food?
Caravan drive through the country?

Curious - as I have a pretty narrow focus on what I like, but am less aware of what the broader car culture is looking for. Can you enlighten us a bit?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #24
FlyN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, R1150GS

I'm interested in joining up for a meet in CA, OR, WA.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
nebby, M3Dragon,

What typically makes successful car meet event? (other than reliable execution)

T-shirts?
Good food?
Caravan drive through the country?

Curious - as I have a pretty narrow focus on what I like, but am less aware of what the broader car culture is looking for. Can you enlighten us a bit?
Did you mean newbie, just to clarify?

Your question is kind of a bear trap do my best to answer it.

Everyone has his or her own idea of fun for a car event. As you said, you have a narrow focus on what you like, as do most people. A measure of success for this event would be if you had a good time and would want to do it again.

I personally love to drive so an event were we drive to destinations and socialize at the end is what I prefer. Of course, others will prefer a meet and greet style event at a single venue with less driving and so on.

As the ideas for this event was to bring a larger group of owners together it will be a fine line on what everyone wants. Monterey seems to be a location most out of state people are willing to drive to so that would be the focus of the event.

Currently the best Idea is to spend a weekend in Monterey and coordinate it with an arranged track day event. This gives those who want to drive some drive time and those who want to socialize a venue to meet. The local shops and attractions are great for the families or significant others who do not want to do the car stuff. Besides the track portion of the event, we could arrange a photo shoot as well as social function at a winery or other venue.

This would a weekend event with the track part being on a Saturday and the social functions being a split on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. This give people that need to leave for the drive home the end of Sunday to hit the road.

If everyone likes the event, we can look into moving it around each year so the driving time to the event is shared over the years. So next year host the event in AZ and the following year in OR, something like that. Keep it on a simple three-venue rotation.

As for the first question, I asked if I am a newbie, I will go ahead and answer that if it was. If you care to search other BMW forms you will see under the name of M3dragon, you will see I have been putting on drive meets since I bought my M3 in 2002. Additionally I am co-founder of the EuroSunday car club and have been doing large events since 2006. I know the pain and frustration of putting an event on and getting people to the event. I also know the forums are a mix bag of good and bad posters in regards to domineer each person, IE. civil conversation, flamers and just childish behavior.

You don’t know me from Sam but I am stepping up to the plate to gauge the interest of the people here to have a big event. As they say the first one to do anything always get to smash their face into the wall.

So your guys call if you want to start something or not. If so, I would like one or two people to help. Additionally I would be contacting BMW of NA to try to get the word out for the none forum 1M owners.

Ball is back to all of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Bobby Digital
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Did you mean newbie, just to clarify?
I don't think Mahlzeit was insinuating that you are a newbie, i believe the question was addressed to you and another forum member named "nebby"...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Missed your reply M3Dragon - sorry 'bout that. Particularly after the effort you put into the reply.

Yea - defn NOT implying you're a newb. I defn was addressing the question to you and 'nebby'.

I am actively working on figuring out a track day at Laguna or Infineon, schedule dependent. Have a few moving items on the personal calendar I need to coordinate first. That said, I'll post up the date and location. Looks like it'll be early March or mid April. That's not to say I wouldn't also be up for a mid summer track day as well. Idea being, that perhaps the summer is better time for a broader track + other sort of event weekend.

Cheers..... and thanks for your insight. It's appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #29
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Missed your reply M3Dragon - sorry 'bout that. Particularly after the effort you put into the reply.

Yea - defn NOT implying you're a newb. I defn was addressing the question to you and 'nebby'.

I am actively working on figuring out a track day at Laguna or Infineon, schedule dependent. Have a few moving items on the personal calendar I need to coordinate first. That said, I'll post up the date and location. Looks like it'll be early March or mid April. That's not to say I wouldn't also be up for a mid summer track day as well. Idea being, that perhaps the summer is better time for a broader track + other sort of event weekend.

Cheers..... and thanks for your insight. It's appreciated.
Summer might be better for people to figure out vacation time. As the idea is to pull from out of state we need to take in consideration travel time and lodging for those making a farther trek for the first meet.

I guess a poll is needed for which track for the main part of the meet up.

Laguna or Infineon.

If we can figure out the date and local I will get on the horn with BMW NA to see about getting them to help get the word out to the owners who are not on the forums.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, yea, I was thinking March/April for my own first 1M track day,... and the summer for any sort of meet....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh ok HAHA.

I am going to reach out to BMW NA to get them working on this with me. I think we need them to give something as we all got shafted on the goodies we got when we bought the car. I want some gloves to.

I also for kicks looked up a national meet local. I never knew dead center of the lower 48 was in Kansas. Who knew. LOL But that I would leave to BMW to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

OMG, for the record BMW NA is frustrating to work with. I am trying to get their support for a 1M and 1Series meet. Kind of like shark fest for the 6 series guys. I have submitted all the apps and so we will see. I will keep you all posted. Looks like next year for the event based on time frames.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Frustrating in what ways?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have talked with BMW NA before on other projects and always get the usual corporate none interest. I was passed back and forth between 2 departments for a week until they finally gave me a link to a online form to fill out for them to look at my proposal. All I am asking BMW NA to do is help let owners know as well as show a little support to the community. Not asking them to fit the bill but be involved in some way. Hell email the owners, and send us some t shirts for all I care at the moment.

Just did the form so we will se.

I have a AW 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #35
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Well, looking forward to what comes of your work.

BTW I think I've seen your car at least twice at the Fair Oaks / Watt intersection. 2 AW 1Ms at the same intersection in Cowtown? Who would have thought it possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Well, looking forward to what comes of your work.

BTW I think I've seen your car at least twice at the Fair Oaks / Watt intersection. 2 AW 1Ms at the same intersection in Cowtown? Who would have thought it possible?
If yours is white than there is 3 of us in SacTown with white. I know 1 Orange and 1 Black as well.

You might have saw Paval. I have not been over by Watt and Fair Oaks in a while. I hit Howe and 50 as I work at the college. I did hit Fulton and Fair Oaks on Monday though HAHA.
Appreciate 0