BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

How unusual is this?

So, I regretfully must replace my 2011 128i, due to an encounter with black ice and two guard rails. Head curtain deployment and side airbag deployment. Complete write-off. The old girl did her sacrificial duty, and I barely felt a thing, like my head was hitting the pillow for a good night's sleep. Amazing.
I'm shopping for a suitable replacement, which means only another 128i manual will do. The unusual part is that I found one- it's a slicktop (cool), but has no other options other than navigation, which seems odd. Perhaps a very tall person with a bad sense of direction? Anyway, it is going in for a PPI at a BMW dealer after a bad experience looking at what seemed like a perfectly spec'd 2012 128i M Sport. No coolant in the tank, CAN bus wiring fault, instrument cluster fault, and footwell module fault. Clutch was toast at 51 thousand miles. Still for sale in Ohio. Don't even think about looking at it.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Sorry about the car, it seems like the car gods are trying to drive our cars to extinction lately. Hope you find a suitable replacement!
      02-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Good luck! I keep my eye on the 128i market and there aren't many clean manuals around. Usually 10-15 TRUE manuals on cars.com at any moment.

Let us know if you find a clean example near anyone on here, if it's convenient for me I can check out a car in Orlando or Daytona.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Good luck! I keep my eye on the 128i market and there aren't many clean manuals around. Usually 10-15 TRUE manuals on cars.com at any moment.

Let us know if you find a clean example near anyone on here, if it's convenient for me I can check out a car in Orlando or Daytona.
I hear ya about the TRUE manuals statement. If it has two pedals, it is in no way, shape, or form a manual transmission. I ended up buying my first 128i in Fort Meyers. Drove it home with a stupid grin glued to my face the whole way back to Illinois-especially the "Tail of the Dragon" detour!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Sorry about your accident and loss. Glad you were okay and that you found a possible replacement already. Getting another 1er is an excellent choice because they can't be beat imo.

As mentioned above, we are seeing a pattern here of accidents and such, so be careful out there all you 1ADDICTS.
      02-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I suppose you need a car somewhat urgently but I would wait until you can find one with sport pkg. There was one in Las Vegas but it might be sold by now.

Well actually, the Las Vegas car is still listed here; it's a winner in my opinion.

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 02-12-2018 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I suppose you need a car somewhat urgently but I would wait until you can find one with sport pkg. There was one in Las Vegas but it might be sold by now.

Well actually, the Las Vegas car is still listed here; it's a winner in my opinion.
Yeah, I was looking at ubersteur's 128. Really sweet. Actually too nice for the duty my next car will be subjected to here in the land of salty roads as a DD. I'm sure it will find a good home, as he would want it to. It's also three grand more than the one I'm looking at. That will easily buy me a good set of seats and other goodies I'm drooling over. After driving the Sport Package car I was originally looking at, I now know why everyone says hold out for one. Those seats are the bomb!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I hear ya about the TRUE manuals statement. If it has two pedals, it is in no way, shape, or form a manual transmission. I ended up buying my first 128i in Fort Meyers. Drove it home with a stupid grin glued to my face the whole way back to Illinois-especially the "Tail of the Dragon" detour!
I was shopping around for M3's, E46's and E36's, and I tried to have Autotrader filter for manuals only, but dealers are convinced that M in M3 stands for manual...

Strangely enough, my car was listed as an auto, and was sitting on the market for 3 months, I only found out about it while checking out a crappy (but good-looking) Z4 2.5i 5-Speed (really rough mech. condition), and saw that awkward little face staring at me from their garage...it was like one of those choral Ahhhh moments, with a glowing halo around the car, and all that drama...
      02-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Yeah, I was looking at ubersteur's 128. Really sweet. Actually too nice for the duty my next car will be subjected to here in the land of salty roads as a DD. I'm sure it will find a good home, as he would want it to. It's also three grand more than the one I'm looking at. That will easily buy me a good set of seats and other goodies I'm drooling over. After driving the Sport Package car I was originally looking at, I now know why everyone says hold out for one. Those seats are the bomb!
I had 2 really interested people, one through BMWCCA classifieds who ultimately couldn't swing it since he was building a new house/selling his current house. Then had one who really liked it but couldn't come up with the funds.

I finally submitted an ad to Cars.com and Autotrader last night. I really want to see it go to a good home with someone who will enjoy it. I intended to keep the 1er forever but pulled the trigger on a 6MT M Sport E91 in December.

The 1er is not perfect but it's in solid mechanical shape and has very few cosmetic imperfections, especially given that it's 7 years old and seen 70k miles. It could stand to see a little snow, I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0