BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

DRL - Who is driving with them on?

Are most of you driving with your DRL's on or off? I love the 1M DRLS's, but historically have hated them on every car I've ever owned. On my my previous cars I had them programmed to turn them off.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I never keep them on. Never put my lights in auto mode always off til I need lights...
      08-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

DRL is a safety feature to increase your visibility to other drivers and has been shown to statistically reduce your chances of being in an accident. For me this is akin to coding off the seatbelt gong because you don't like to wear one. It's your choice to disable them because you don't like the way they look or don't want to have them on "til you need them", but know your increased risks in doing so.

I'd be sad if my 1M ended up in a crash that could have been avoided if the other driver saw me sooner because of my DRLs.

When is the last time you saw a motorcycle without a headlight on during the day? It wasn't on for looks and the rider didn't need it on to see better.
Appreciate 3
swagon13482.50
Yeineken1297.50
      08-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
DRL is a safety feature to increase your visibility to other drivers and has been shown to statistically reduce your chances of being in an accident. For me this is akin to coding off the seatbelt gong because you don't like to wear one. It's your choice to disable them because you don't like the way they look or don't want to have them on "til you need them", but know your increased risks in doing so.

I'd be sad if my 1M ended up in a crash that could have been avoided if the other driver saw me sooner because of my DRLs.

When is the last time you saw a motorcycle without a headlight on during the day? It wasn't on for looks and the rider didn't need it on to see better.
They're not on if you put the headlights in off position. They don't need to be coded out...at least not in my car. Not sure what you are referring to...

They're only on when I have the headlight turned to "auto".

As for safety reasons; I agree with you they likely do serve a positive function and this has likely been endlessly researched to support them...
      08-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

I coded mine to be always-on front and rear. Drivers in Florida are stupid enough as-is. If a little extra visibility is an option, I'm taking it.

Plus, it rains so much here that I have my headlights on most of the time anyway.
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4153.00
      08-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

DRLs are standard in Canadian 1Ms but can be turned on and off using the stalk menu. I turned mine off when I moved it to SoCal because angel eyes provide the similar functionality with less voltage drain/load on car. At the San Diego science center they have a rig with pedals chained to an alternator. You can pedal it then flick a switch and turn one a single headlight. You would be shocked how much harder it is to pedal when the headlight comes on. This contraption has always stuck in my mind so I turn them off.

With that said, I did Euro Delivery and drove my 1M on the autobahn. I have never been a fan of DRLs but on the autobahn I became a believer. With the approach speeds on the unlimited speed sections, where cars close in quickly on you when passing, the DRLs were very useful. I could see cars coming fast much farther behind. You could turn the headlights on in the autobahn but then you would be putting a heavier load on the motor than the DRLs. There were plenty of times I was about to overtake on the autobahn at 110mph when I would spot a 911 with DRLs closing in at 150 to 160 mph.

So if I lived in Germany and drove on the Autobahn, I would have them on for sure. If I lived in the country and drove high speed on back roads, I would also have them on. In SoCal pothole infested, left-lane-texting-douche-bag ridden roads, I would turn them off.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Are most of you driving with your DRL's on or off? I love the 1M DRLS's, but historically have hated them on every car I've ever owned. On my my previous cars I had them programmed to turn them off.

I have always kept DRLs OFF in every vehicle I have owned.. particularly on a Subaru that had many issues with failing lamps all over the vehicle .. even when under the OEM warranty! heck most of my old school BMWs (E30 M3 and E46 ) don't even HAVE DRLS.. ha!

However... Since getting the 1M with it's adaptive lights.. I leave the switch set to auto on both it and my X1.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-16-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I never keep them on. Never put my lights in auto mode always off til I need lights...
stealth mode...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just to clarify - by DRLs are we referring to the angel eye / halos?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
DRLs are standard in Canadian 1Ms but can be turned on and off using the stalk menu. I turned mine off when I moved it to SoCal because angel eyes provide the similar functionality with less voltage drain/load on car. At the San Diego science center they have a rig with pedals chained to an alternator. You can pedal it then flick a switch and turn one a single headlight. You would be shocked how much harder it is to pedal when the headlight comes on. This contraption has always stuck in my mind so I turn them off.

With that said, I did Euro Delivery and drove my 1M on the autobahn. I have never been a fan of DRLs but on the autobahn I became a believer. With the approach speeds on the unlimited speed sections, where cars close in quickly on you when passing, the DRLs were very useful. I could see cars coming fast much farther behind. You could turn the headlights on in the autobahn but then you would be putting a heavier load on the motor than the DRLs. There were plenty of times I was about to overtake on the autobahn at 110mph when I would spot a 911 with DRLs closing in at 150 to 160 mph.

So if I lived in Germany and drove on the Autobahn, I would have them on for sure. If I lived in the country and drove high speed on back roads, I would also have them on. In SoCal pothole infested, left-lane-texting-douche-bag ridden roads, I would turn them off.

I hope that helps.
In Canada, the angel eyes are the DRLs?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
In Canada, the angel eyes are the DRLs?!?
You are right, .....I think...not really sure anymore.

I turned them off 3 years ago and thought the headlight were coming on but I just tried turning them on and off again using the instructions but nothing changes on or off? My menus don't match the instructions either. There is no sunshine logo, then the light error. So in the absence of anything better to contribute, I guess the headlights don't come on at all. Our GTI's HID DRLs come on all the time, maybe I mixed them up?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Just to clarify - by DRLs are we referring to the angel eye / halos?
Yes.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
You are right, .....I think...not really sure anymore.

I turned them off 3 years ago and thought the headlight were coming on but I just tried turning them on and off again using the instructions but nothing changes on or off? My menus don't match the instructions either. There is no sunshine logo, then the light error. So in the absence of anything better to contribute, I guess the headlights don't come on at all. Our GTI's HID DRLs come on all the time, maybe I mixed them up?
it's soooooooo easy to do if you have a nav screen :P
      08-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I drive with my angel eyes on. Is that the DRL? I do it because they look awesome on. It's a BMW thing.

I drive my wife's car with the headlights on, because it's illegal where I live to drive with your foglights on.

It's illegal to drive with your foglights on, officially, because it "can dazzle other drivers", and unofficially, because there's a strong correlation between having your fog lights on and being an idiot on the road.

Just like how "P" Plate drivers (you US folk call it GDL from what I can Google.. do you make teenage drivers put a sign on their car so you can tell they're inexperienced drivers? We do, they're "P" Plates) get picked on by police. Chances are, they're hoons. I kept my P plates on for as long as I could as a warning to other drivers that I'm going to be assertive. When I was no longer legally allowed to display P plates, I've driven with my foglights on for the same reason.

It's not just to let people know I'm coming, it's to let people know I'm coming, and given one of those "am I going to stop, or am I going to go?" situations, you should assume I'm going to floor it.

Now, rather than risk a fine (by having foglights on) - I just drive a black BMW convertible with a loud exhaust in a gear lower than normal ... which seems to achieve roughly the same effect.

But yeah, now everyone is driving with their LED lights on. It's no longer an indicator of assertive driving, it's more a sign of "I bought a new car and it has LED lights, look at them shine!" kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #15
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

For us in the middle east, the cars are not available with DRL's..

But ...

I orderd me a OSS Design custom headlamp that resmbles those of the M3/M4 and I think it looks great with its low beams switched on.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #16
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I also love driving with my angel lights on during the day, especially since ours is more yellowish stock so it looks very different from the more recent models that are more white.

I was also confused when you guys were talking about DRL's..wasn't sure if you meant just the angel eyes. In fact, I like to switch to the middle position where the rear lights come on in addition to the angel eyes and the side marker. It's cool to see the rear lights on our cars since they're pretty unique.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      08-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I also love driving with my angel lights on during the day, especially since ours is more yellowish stock so it looks very different from the more recent models that are more white.

I was also confused when you guys were talking about DRL's..wasn't sure if you meant just the angel eyes. In fact, I like to switch to the middle position where the rear lights come on in addition to the angel eyes and the side marker. It's cool to see the rear lights on our cars since they're pretty unique.
I do the same. Drive with parking lights on. With Carly app, AE turned to full brightness.
Appreciate 1
arvinz322.00
      08-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I do the same. Drive with parking lights on. With Carly app, AE turned to full brightness.
Ah I forgot to mention that! I also coded mine for increased brightness, it's pretty awesome. I wish there was a way to code the eyebrows to be the turn signals
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #19
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Had mine coded.

Have the HALOs as DRL always on and coded out the amber corner.
      08-20-2018, 04:35 AM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
For us in the middle east, the cars are not available with DRL's..

But ...

I orderd me a OSS Design custom headlamp that resmbles those of the M3/M4 and I think it looks great with its low beams switched on.

Looking forward to those pics!
Appreciate 0