BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Mach3M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i

Performance Gearing LSD for BMWs, any good?

Does anyone have any experience with Performance Gearing differentials for BMWs?

http://performancegearing.com/

Thinking about going with one of their LSDs for my STX/T4 128i build and I am looking for some second opinions.

I have also considered Diffsonline, but I can get a much better price on the performance gear differential if the performance is similar.

Additionally, if anyone has experience with Mfactory's plate LSD for BMW applications, would also love to hear about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Would be helpful if they provided more info on their website regarding its construction and operation.

Among other options, the diffsonline and Jim Blanton ones seem to be solid choices. Another option is the guy from Germany that is mentioned a lot in the e90 M3 forums. Finally, the japanese ones (Cusco, Kaaz, Ats) don't have a lot of units in operation, so its hard to judge, but I can personally attest to stay away from ATS. My unit lasted less than a season, and I suspect the other brands are not much better. The spider gears shredded on mine, and upon inspection, they are undersized and weak given their function. Finally, OS Giken are nice, and they seemed to have addressed their durability via larger gears and heat treatment.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3M3 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Performance Gearing differentials for BMWs?

http://performancegearing.com/

Thinking about going with one of their LSDs for my STX/T4 128i build and I am looking for some second opinions.

I have also considered Diffsonline, but I can get a much better price on the performance gear differential if the performance is similar.

Additionally, if anyone has experience with Mfactory's plate LSD for BMW applications, would also love to hear about that.
I've never heard anything but good feedback about PG diffs; they were on my short list when I bought my LSD. In fact, Jim Blanton of PG was quite helpful to me regarding fitting an E60 finned diff cover despite knowing I eventually went with a competitor during the LSD purchase process (Diffsonline).

Bimmer-Bob had (has?) a positive experience with PG: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=242
Bimmer-Bob's full build thread:https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ight=bimmerbob
asbrr539.00
      01-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I've never read anything bad about Performance Gearing or Diffsonline, as you may have seen, there is also lots of recommendations on diffs over on bf.c track section. Both of those companies have long history of making reliable BMW diffs.

The only other diff builder who is a little less well known but extremely knowledgeable is Wanganstyle Global. I spoke with Haoming about an E82 diff and he had good insight on what is required to set up a reliable differential with the newer style 188L units that BMW installed on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Mach3M3 Saw in the other thread that you ended up with a Performance Gearing diff, would you mind elaborating on your experience dealing with them and how long everything took?

What LSD unit did they install in the pumpkin? You kept the stock 3.23 ratio for STX use?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Mach3M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Mach3M3 Saw in the other thread that you ended up with a Performance Gearing diff, would you mind elaborating on your experience dealing with them and how long everything took?

What LSD unit did they install in the pumpkin? You kept the stock 3.23 ratio for STX use?
Jim was awesome to talk to and answered all my questions. So that part is great.

I think the turnaround was 2-3 weeks from confirming spec to getting the diff, so pretty quick turnaround from him.

I went with a 5 clutch, 88 mm ZF discs with 30/90 ramps and 60 lb-ft of preload. I have not yet had the chance to actually drive the car but I will update this thread once i have initial impressions.
Appreciate 3
spidertri394.50
Suprgnat2272.00
      07-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
Mach3M3
Private First Class
Rep

Forgot to update this thread with impressions:

I have now run the car on track and at a few autoxes. Car feels nice and free on entry so I dont think there is any unwanted decel lock. Mid corner, it doesnt feel like the diff is dragging the inside wheel at all so I think overall the static lock is right where i want it to be.

The way the diff locks on exit is fairly aggressive, but completely predictable so it's very easy to rotate the car on exit using throttle with minor correction once you're pointing in the right direction (this could be more spring/sway bar setup based).

Overall, I am extremely happy with the diff. It's performing as I wanted and expected. Now hopefully it will stay strong for years to come.
Appreciate 0