BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #45
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

EBC Yellow. I ran them when my 1'er was still my daily. Currently running them on my Civic, which is my daily. Not hard on rotors, at all. Solid track pad if your car is stock power/not running on comp tires.

Also back PFC08. Noisy, but otherwise good street manners. Expensive for a reason.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #46
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Anyone have experience with the Hawk DTC-30 pads? Apparently their temperature sensitivity is the same as the street/race compound. Looks like a good compromise of fade resistance and cold bite
Attached Images

08-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #47
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

Interesting note

So, was running the EBC Yellows on the street yesterday, in town. Have noticed that (obviously) initial bite is a bit weak when pads are cold, so a hard application in town makes for a gradual increase in friction and increasingly rapid deceleration.

Turns out, when someone is following you closely, and you hammer the brakes so as not to hit someone who unexpectedly panic stops at the first sign of a yellow in front of you, it confuses the car behind you as your braking force increases, and they might hit you...

Luckily the hit was at about 2mph and it just scuffed the bumper that already has some marring, but I can't help but thinking that with the OE pads on, it would have been more obvious I was stopping hard at initial outset and following driver might have realized more immediately and stopped harder themselves.

Anyways, fun anecdote. Keep an eye on the mirror and leave more following distance on cold track pads. LOL. I haven't ordered the PFC08s yet as track days have been curtailed due to work, but they are still the next planned pad for summer some street/more track use.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #48
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Last update on this one.

Track season is done for me for the year. I made it out for 2 full days and 4 or 5 evening sessions at two short, medium-braking technical tracks (Grand Bend and TMP, Ontario) for about 250km worth of track. Far less than planned, stupid work.

I drove about 9000-10000km on the street over the summer, mixed city/highway.

The EBC Yellows are done. Fronts wore to the backing plates and had to be swapped mid-track-day yesterday. Put the OE Textars on for the winter at trackside. (Surprisingly, they were not incapable once I understood their limits and how to cool them)

EBCs were great while they lasted, but they didn't last long. My Hawk HP Plus, although garbage after a few laps, lasted me 2 seasons / about 400km of track + full summer usage x2, and still had material left on them.

Next season I will run the PFC08s, or possibly the Pagid Yellows or Oranges now that I have found a source for them locally.

I will not waste time with the EBCs again. You get what you pay for.

Aside; caliper boots are shredded again, so caliper rebuild is again due. Hopefully the piston bores aren't too damaged for a rebuild.

If anyone has a BBK for sale instead to put me out of my misery, PM me
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #49
Track rat
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Strange, I use hawk hp+ for pretty much all track day activity. I did three track days this year. Mosport, calabogie and tremblant. I do not have any of the problems you are seeing. However I do use gulf competition RF800 brake fluid.

Not crazily modded either ST XTA coil over w/camber plates, dinan flash, and Wagner intercooler and catted down pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #50
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track rat View Post
Strange, I use hawk hp+ for pretty much all track day activity. I did three track days this year. Mosport, calabogie and tremblant. I do not have any of the problems you are seeing. However I do use gulf competition RF800 brake fluid.
I think those tracks are easier on brakes as you go longer between hard braking instances, at least for Mosport and Calabogie. I haven't been to Tremblant in more than a decade and can't even remember it. I did run the HP+ at Calabogie a few times and they did not worry me the same way. Braking into 2 was the only point I felt like I was braking long and hard and that they would go away; perhaps into 5 sometimes as well. 7 a bit but not for long duration. Caliper and rotor temps were reasonable.

With the HP+ on the wimpy tracks I drive (Cayuga, Grand Bend) I would get a hard pedal but no braking power after a few laps. Fluid boiling I usually get a soft pedal. I run either ATE200 or Motul RBF600 and am pretty aggressive about bleeding. The EBCs did not demonstrate the same hard pedal/no stopping power and I could run it for 10+ laps without serious fade. Both pads I would run the rotors up to >400C; the EBCs could take it, the HP+ could not.

Also, when you hit that fall-off point with the HP+, it was a CLIFF. One lap, full braking; next lap, NOTHING. Annoying at Cayuga and GB with all the run-off, scary at Calabogie into 2!
Appreciate 0