BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Garmin Nuvi 760 installation

In installed a Garmin nuvi 760 into my 128i vert today. I purchased the installation kit from United for the BMW Portable Navigation Plus unit (for $55) but ended up using basically only the bracket. The BMW system would be better integrated with the car and would hide wires better but I decided I could live with the appearance and save roughly $400. The 760 is nearly identical to the Plus but the Plus comes with a slick cradle with wires coming out the back to handle everything. I tried to buy this cradle from Garmin but no luck. So I put a female accessory socket under the panel with the headlight switch on it and plugged the 760 power cord in running the wire out under the hood over the gauges. That preserves the traffic feature of the 760 (the antenna is in the power cord). I also ran a wire to take the output of the 760 to the auxiliary input of the radio and for a remote microphone.

The end result is I have what used to be a top of the line GPS with traffic, posted speed limit, etc.., routes, PLUS MP3 playpack PLUS bluetooth phone. I am still figuring out the remote microphone placement. With the top down, back of the sun visor was not so good. My son says the remote microphone makes a big difference, however, and with the top up, back of the visor worked well. It currently appears high on the pillar is best but not on the windshield (seem to get wind noise if it touches the windshield)

I was trying to create a female outlet for the sound on the cradle but was unsuccessful soldering to the cradle PC board. I installed a right angle plug for the cord and changed some pictures. I wish all the wires ran to the cradle but plugging into the headphone jack is also what turns off the speaker on the nuvi. With the cord plugged to the nuvi and the aux port, I get excellant MP3 playback through the car speakers and if I get a call, the sound is muted during the call (and the call also comes through the car speakers).

The 760 has a FM broadcast capability but I tried that and the sound was not acceptable. I could not get a good frequency - and I live in a pretty small city. The reviews were right on this one, unfortunately. I works but there is significant noise.

I also added a picture of my screwdriver on one of the two screws holding in the gauges, a picture where you can see the 4 screws holding the hood on and a picture of the dash with the hood off where you can see the bracket attachment screws.

I hope you like the pictures. I have about $300 in this and think I am getting a lot for the money. The installation is neither supper easy or supper difficult. You can get to everything but some of the spaces are tight. You will need short torx screwdrivers in a couple sizes.

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by JimD; 08-08-2009 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Add and Change Pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
SlaminSam
SlaminSam
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

JimD, join us ( Sandlapper BMWCCA ) for dinner at Grecian Gardens West Columbia, SC. Tuesday night 7oclock.Three 1ers, all coupes, come and show off your 1 and upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

Thanks jim....always like the pics
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I did not want to put this in AW128i's nice thread about his new BMW Pro installation (radio threads, not DIY) but I see some advantages to this setup versus use of the BMW system. If you want a nuvi 3790, the price of the BMW system may actually not be that bad. It looks like they are about $400 so the BMW is not much different. I like to play MP3s out of my nuvi's, however, and the 3790 does not have that capability. Nothing newer than the 765t and 885t do. The only significant advantage to the 3790 versus the 885t is the 3790 is supposed to learn your routes and the traffic patterns on those routes. That would be nice but isn't enough reason for me to spend the money.

With my setup, if I am listening to music (MP3s) from the nuvi and I get a phone call, the audio for the music is automatically muted for the call. With the BMW installation, it seems the drivers side speakers switch to the call while the rest of the speakers still continue to play music. Navigation for my case interrupts the music for a few seconds and then switches itself back. BMW mutes drivers side speakers, gives instruction over those while music playing on other speakers, and then restores the drivers side to the previous setting. I might like this if I tried it but I don't think I would. It seems like the music would bleed onto the phone call or distract from the navigation instructions.

A key advantage of my setup is price. I got my 760 for about $200 and you can still do this on the newer and better 765t. Add about $50 for the bracket from BMW and you can be in business. I currently use a 885t I got rebuilt for a little over $200 but I don't see them at that price currently.

A disadvantage of my setup is how you have to do things if you get a call when listening to the radio. You know it because the display of the nuvi tells you but you have to switch to the aux input to the radio to get the sound out of the car speakers. That is two quick taps of the button on the wheel but you don't have to do this with the BMW system.

I also think the BMW installation looks better. The wires are nearly hidden the way BMW does it and still quite visible on mine. I think mine is OK but I like this aspect of the BMW better.

Overall, I appreciate AW128i's explanation of the BMW system but I think I'll stay with what I have.

Jim
      02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
ArightDoom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 128i LeMans Blue/M Sport

Jim, when you were doing this, did you notice if you could make the same trim to the left side as you do to the right to snake the wires? I've been mounting my garmin to the left of the instrument cluster with the windshield mount and I'd love to bury the power cord in the dash and free up my cigarette lighter.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Thanks for the writeup & pics Jim!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Definitely good write up! I like the look and how close it is to the steering wheel. Less travel for the eyes to take a glance. Mine is always suctioned cup to the windshield if I ever use it. Don't use it very often. I always get nervous glancing at the middle of the windshield when in heavy traffic. Looks good though.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I've since taken this bracket off and transferred the ball and bracket cover to a new bracket I fabricated to put the nuvi on the left of the instruments. It makes the dash cleaner looking and works just fine - except I need a longer audio cord. An extension is on order and hopefully will come in soon. 6 feet is enough with the nuvi to the right of the instruments but not on the left. There is a thread on my left side installation in the main coupe/convertible section. Here's a write up with pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Garmin on the left.pdf (201.1 KB, 523 views)
      07-22-2016, 04:28 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

for a good DIY...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't think I have pictures with me at the moment but I've further modified this setup now to include a backup camera. That required another nuvi update but that isn't a bad thing. The backup camera transmits to the nuvi wirelessly but the installation was still a bit involved. A lot of the trunk had to come apart. It can be installed without drilling except for a hole I put in the trunk latch piece (because it is plastic and can be easily replaced).