BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 aw coupe zmp

Unhappy Handbrake lamp won't turn off?

So I took delivery this morning, and I've already hit a snag (maybe). When I'm starting the car, I disengage the handbrake, apply brake and clutch, then start the engine. In between the time that I fully disengage the handbrake and start the car, the handbrake indicator lamp turns off. As soon as I start the car, it turns back on. I engage/disengage the handbrake just to make sure, and sure enough, when it is in the down position, the handbrake is definitely off. Good thing too, I clocked about 450 miles today, and had the handbrake been even partially engaged, I'm sure something would have caught fire.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious? It did take me about 10 minutes to figure out how to open the fuel filler door, so I would not be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Check the fluid level in the brake and clutch reserviors. I'm not sure if these cars have a seperate indicator for low brake fluid level or not, but a lot of vehicles use the same indicator for parking brake and fluid level. It's easy enough to pop the hood and give it a look to make sure.

Just an idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I 'ed, and it says either the drive-off assistant has failed, the brake fluid is too low, or the brake pads are worn. I'm more or less completely color blind, so I can't really tell if the lamps are in red or yellow.

Nonetheless, I am now attempting to locate a service center near Nuerburg to get it checked out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

those are yellow....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It could be a faulty brake pad sensor. Someone else posted this a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

This is exactly what I had wrong with my 1er about a month ago. If you look it up in the manual it says that the brake pads are worn but unless you have a lot of miles on the car or have seen quite a few track events then this is not true.

While I also thought it was a faulty wear sensor they said the CBS (Condition Based Service) system in the car's computer mis-calculated the amount of pad left. They will measure the pads and manually enter the amount left into the car's computer so it will be a proper measurement.
      05-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I figured it was a sensor/calibration problem. I put a little blind faith in the Bavarian motoring gods and put in a lap at the nurburgring to do a little calibration of my own One lap down, three to go. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

You really shouldn't assume anything, especially with a critical system like the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
You really shouldn't assume anything, especially with a critical system like the brakes.
Correct. That is why I took my car in at my first possibility.
      06-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

whilst I, possessing such penduolous male equipment that it is necessary to adjust the seat prior to driving (or whose measure of foolishness is unparalleled in the history of motoring), chose the more adventurous route that segues our initial story into a trip over the a2 that affords the opportunity to crack 215kph briefly. Arrival in berlin was graced with the presence of another thunderstorm. Weekend/holidays are kind of weird to be seeing anyone about anything, but I did manage to intrude on the service department of a dealership. Things i learned about getting serviced on ED

0.5) the key records all of the service warnings! Badass! That and Bremsen==Brakes. Warnleucht==Warning light.

1) bring the registration papers with you

2) use google translate to translate the technical words you don't understand

3) things will talk a long time (I was at a popular dealership in a big city)

4) be happy with whatever comes back

in my case it was a faulty brake sensor - I will use my receipts to file a claim w/allianz or bmwna. I was hoping for a more customer-focused service approach upon arrival in Deutschland, as far as I was able to find out, you're pretty much on your own. Neither my sales dealership or local bmw center were able to point me anywhere other than the bmw.com website.

After I got things cleared, I managed to hit 239kph (GPS) on the a9 before I could feel the engine getting bogged. I figured this was the speed limiter.

Last edited by ryebred; 06-05-2009 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0