BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
I'm1of'M
Leadfoot
Rep
Drives: AW 135i Coupe -M sport

From the PA Attorney General's website:
(All states are different)

Window Tinting

Are you considering tinting the windows of your new car to give it a sporty look or to cut down on glare from the sun? Before you go to your local window tint retailer know that Pennsylvania law regulates automobile window tint levels. With some exceptions, light transmittance through all vehicle windows must be greater than 70%. Any motorist who operates a vehicle with windows that do not conform to the Pennsylvania standards may be subject to a citation. The Attorney General wants to alert you that some businesses may try to defraud consumers by selling illegal window tint.

Pennsylvania's Motor Vehicle statute states, "No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle".

Any side wing or any side window must allow at least 70% of transmitted light to pass through the window, or an amount of light greater than or equal to the window's light transmittance percentage at the time of manufacture.
The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code does not apply to vehicles with windows tinted by the manufacturer. Federal law regulates manufacturers.
The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards prohibit tinting of passenger vehicle windshields and front windows where light transmittance is reduced below 70%, just as in Pennsylvania.
Cars purchased out of state and then brought into Pennsylvania are subject to all Pennsylvania laws. Tinting requirements in some neighboring states are less strict than Pennsylvania's.

Businesses that tint car windows may charge hundreds of dollars for their services and never tell you that your new windows do not conform to the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code. Some window tint retailers try to defraud consumers by offering illegal tint levels of 50, 20, or even 10% light transmittance levels. Police safety is the main reason for the window tint regulations. Dark tinted windows make it very difficult for police officers to view the inside of cars during traffic stops. Unlawful motorists may try to conceal weapons behind the tinted glass, putting police officers at risk.

Installation of non-conforming window tint is a violation of the Vehicle Code and the Attorney General considers it a violation of the Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law. The Consumer Protection Law permits a court to award a consumer reimbursement for the cost of applying the tint and fine the installer up to $1,000 for each willful violation. State and local police enforce the law. The Office of Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection can help consumers who believe they have been defrauded by businesses selling them illegal products.

If you feel you have been defrauded by a business selling illegal window tint, please contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection's toll free HOTLINE number 1-800-441-2555.

My car is tinted 30% all around, and have been looked at by many a cop, but never pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #46
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
There is another side to this. A policeman pulling over a car with heavy tint will likely not be able to see into the car. For all a policeman knows someone in that car is aiming a weapon at him. With rising crime rates this would appear more likely to occur so one could make the argument that the higher the crime rate, the more police should enforce tinting laws

Just a thought.

Lou
hey buddy, this is a completely valid point and i respectfully agree with this. they should be able to see criminals through the window, however, lets be realistic here, im sure the OP doesnt look like a hobo, and hes driving a 40k+ car (in a safe manner hopefully when he got pulled over), im pretty sure its safe to assume hes not on his way back from a robbery. nothing against cops needing to see into a car, just a slight rant on my part on them doing there job.

so OP what are you going to end up doin? keep the tint?
      01-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #47
1quick35
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 1999 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82mon View Post
hey buddy, this is a completely valid point and i respectfully agree with this. they should be able to see criminals through the window, however, lets be realistic here, im sure the OP doesnt look like a hobo, and hes driving a 40k+ car (in a safe manner hopefully when he got pulled over), im pretty sure its safe to assume hes not on his way back from a robbery. nothing against cops needing to see into a car, just a slight rant on my part on them doing there job.

so OP what are you going to end up doin? keep the tint?
I want to keep the tint but I'm just not sure right now how I want to go about that. I've been pulled over for tint in my mustang a few years ago and just removed it from the front windows and that worked for the police inspection. I'd maybe just do that again if I knew that would work for the inspection but then I'm sure I would want to put more tint back on again in the near future. It just sucks that this came about right now as I have like no time at all to get any of this taken care of. Luckily the officer told me I can call the police station and get my 15 days extended longer if I need it to be. It will give me more time to figure out how I want to go about doing this...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Dude if the PO you have shows it was installed by the dealer's shop, get a letter from them, and take that to the police, and have it signed off on.

If it is legal, then there is nothing they can do about it, and then you can get on w/your life accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #49
1quick35
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 1999 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Dude if the PO you have shows it was installed by the dealer's shop, get a letter from them, and take that to the police, and have it signed off on.

If it is legal, then there is nothing they can do about it, and then you can get on w/your life accordingly.
The problem there is the tint was installed in Maryland which is where the car was purchased new and 35% is legal there but in PA where I live the law is 70%.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #50
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Just to clarify, does PA reference tint % backwards? When I have heard that 70% is the legal limit in other states, that means no more than 70% of light can be blocked. That makes 30% tint legal because it allows 30% light to pass through.
      01-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #51
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

FWIW,

Colorado law is the whole car can be tinted 27% or above, unless there is NO tint on the front 2 side windows, in that case you can go as dark as you want on the everything back.